Poll: Do you feel good about receiving hate mail if it's a reply to you winning or beating someone?

Dec 14, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
Daystar Clarion said:
King of Asgaard said:
I don't get hate mail, at all. I don't play online much, so there's not much opportunity to be hated.
Daystar Clarion said:
I get bonus laughs when they I assume I'm a girl and either insult me, or try and hit on me.
How does that happen?
I thought girls playing video games was supposed to be a legend, not guys.
Well my name is Ashley, which is considered only a girl's name in the US.

So American players will see my profile and just assume I'm a woman.
Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.
Though, with the Evil Dead series, whose protagonist is named Ashley, you'd thing Americans would be more understanding of unisex names.
Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly :D

Seems my name is just too manly for the US.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
People do that? No wonder I can't stand online gaming anymore...

Daystar Clarion said:
Well my name is Ashley, which is considered only a girl's name in the US.

So American players will see my profile and just assume I'm a woman.
Only the young'uns.

I'd apologize for our *ahem* varied... education system over here, but I'm sure you know the score.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
krazykidd said:
I means i'm doing something right , so i like it . UMVC3 player here . I do get the occasiona " sick x-23" which makes me feel even better .
This lol. I play a lot of Marvel, and I tend to play keep away (though I no longer play Morrigan really...). People hate my Deadpool because he's so annoying, so when I get hate mail telling me I'm so cheap or that I'm too scared to fight them, it always makes me happy. It's one thing to win, but to have frustrated someone SO much that they complain even if I lose, it makes me happy. That's my play style, and I can't really change it (I've tried... I'm just not that great at being super offensive) so I just enjoy it.

If people are frustrated, I'm doing it right. Then they're more likely to make mistakes, which makes them even more frustrated.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
"Haters make me famous"

No but yeah I love getting hate mail from people i've kicked the shit out of in any videogame. Be it 'nub stop sniping' or '1v1 me rite now' or just 'fight my clan noob'. Always get a kick out of em. I just send back a nice simple 'u mad?' and let the rage begin.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
To add to my previous post, I never actually send hate mail myself to anyone. However, if someone sends me something particularly vulgar then I'll often just respond with "umadbro?" Often times it makes them send me more messages, which I keep for the lulz.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Never got hate mail, I get all my hate live.

I'd probably get more hate mail if I played Xbox live, but I'm not paying for that until they can sort out their shithead population.
I don't really get the point of sending hate mail. Or hating anyone online at all.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I once 1v1'd a Graves using Teemo in lol. I beat him without too much difficulty because of my blind. He obviously wasn't very experienced against Teemo because he thought that I was some how cheating. When I told him that it was an actual skill of Teemo's he immediately started yelling about Teemo being OP and how I was bad for using him.

It made me chuckle.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I hit 'other' because this really only happened once. I was playing a 4 v 4 death-match in Reach but people left until it was down to 2 v 2. There was one guy who I and my team-mate beat just exceptionally, brutally hard. At the end of the match that guy sent me (and my team-mate) a photo of his penis covered in cock-rings with the usual short, misspelled message filled with racial, homophobic insults directed my way. I thought it was freaking hilarious honestly but still deleted the thing.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
I loved it, right up until I got "happy mail". Once when I was playing Battlefield 3, someone in the other team sent me a message saying "Wow, you're really good."
It. Was. Awesome
Hate mail, still makes me smile, but that friendly complement made me feel good about myself. Almost like the time spent gaming, wasn't time wasted.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
SonicKaos said:
krazykidd said:
I means i'm doing something right , so i like it . UMVC3 player here . I do get the occasiona " sick x-23" which makes me feel even better .
This lol. I play a lot of Marvel, and I tend to play keep away (though I no longer play Morrigan really...). People hate my Deadpool because he's so annoying, so when I get hate mail telling me I'm so cheap or that I'm too scared to fight them, it always makes me happy. It's one thing to win, but to have frustrated someone SO much that they complain even if I lose, it makes me happy. That's my play style, and I can't really change it (I've tried... I'm just not that great at being super offensive) so I just enjoy it.

If people are frustrated, I'm doing it right. Then they're more likely to make mistakes, which makes them even more frustrated.
So you're playing as Deadpool and people you fight are getting annoyed and frustrated? Are you sure you aren't channeling Wade Wilson when you play him?

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
YES! Just thinking about the times I've received hatemail from winning fills me with a feeling of pure joy!

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
Wakikifudge said:
I once 1v1'd a Graves using Teemo in lol. I beat him without too much difficulty because of my blind. He obviously wasn't very experienced against Teemo because he thought that I was some how cheating. When I told him that it was an actual skill of Teemo's he immediately started yelling about Teemo being OP and how I was bad for using him.

It made me chuckle.
Ah LoL. So much hate and tears. I just laugh it off.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Normally it annoys me. I'm playing a game to relax, not get into a fight with someone. I have to deal with enough people trying to start fights with me at work. The other day I was playing TF2, and a bunch of people were trying to give me crap. I was playing sniper, and the server I was playing on only allows 2 snipers per team at a time. The other people were getting upset because I didn't get a headshot every time, but still was getting kills. You would have sworn I was threatening to shoot their dog or something. I was suddenly getting blasted in the chat window because apparently I suck at being a sniper yet had 5 dominations. People were trying to boot me from the server, trying to ban me. I finally got tired on it, PMed the admin, and he banned them all.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah I quite enjoy it. Means I did good enough to piss somebody else off, so I must be doing something right. And if it's clear they're really annoyed I send them a message back, perhaps to rile them up a bit more.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I love it. It just inspires me to make them even madder. Then I tell them something silly like "Your hate only makes me stronger!" or something else to basically just troll the hell out of them and then when I get bored I just block them.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CannibalCorpses said:
Yeah, it can be quite funny when someone intelligent insults me but generally it's the generic 'ur gay' nonsense which is usually responded with 'u got beat by a ****** then bro' ;)
Personally I go with "Yeah, well this ****** just beat your ass."

OT: Absolutely love to do it, I like to provoke it to.

Just the other day during a match on Harvest Day - Rush on Bad Company 2 I informed my friend Andy that I was off to revenge kill the attackers UAV pilot, as he had killed me once and been forgiven, but his second kill was blasphemy against our clans aerial dominance with that adorable mini-copter.

And thus I did quest across the entire map, to the first UAV stand, stood behind him, with my knife at the ready beneath my ghillie. I sent him a private message saying "Quiet now boy, let's not turn this rape into a murder."

When I got the due reply of "wtf u talkin bowt fagot?" I stabbed him in the back and stole his teams tank, blew up every other vehicle in their base along with anyone there and fled back with great haste to the defensive line.

The ensuing tirade against me had me and my teammates weeping with laughter.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Most of the time for me it's playing FIFA. I'm pretty good at it and quite often end up drubbing people by more than 5 goals, and as the ending scene is on and i see 'message recieved from x' it makes me chuckle. Some of the insults are just hillarious. THough occasionally you get someone saying well done and that is 100 times better than the hate.