Poll: Do you have a phobia?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Open heights. Planes are fine, and as long as I have a decent railing I'm okay, but I can't do roller coasters, high dives (even 10 footers scare the piss out of me), excessively large trampolines (like the ones at carnivals), and I can do log rides and somewhat large slides, but those are still pretty troubling for me.

Maybe it doesn't qualify as a full-on phobia, but it sure made boot camp hell. The Navy requires you do a 20-30 foot jump from a high dive... needless to say, I just closed my eyes and let them push me. I think that was the only time in my entire life where my mind was literally completely blank with fear. Absolutely no thoughts were in my head for those 2 seconds.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I have three. Glossophobia, Keindranophobia, and Trypanophobia.

BENZOOKA said:
Wasn't there a thread about irrational fears just a day or two ago?
Google my fears and you get a list off all of the ones I have responded to. Please note I don't respond to all of them.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Craorach said:
Spiders.

There was a time when that phobia, combined with borderline paranoid depression, led me to actually see them constantly where there were none. I had a freakout in the middle of college that made me realise I needed help, there was no spider, just a shadow.

Then I moved to Australia, land of the psychotic murder spiders.

I've had to get over it to an extent.. my wife is more scared than I am.. but now at least these spiders CAN kill me.
Oh god, man, I feel so sorry for you. No arachnophobe should ever have to live in Australia with those massive freaks of nature (which unfortunately, someone trolled me with an image of at a certain point in time, and I swear my heart lept into the ceiling..). Ever.

OT: I have severe arachnophobia to the point that looking at the image of a spider for more than 3 seconds will induce minor panic attacks, even moreso when I can notice it's eyes/head clearly.

Also, I have a subconscience uncomfortability of crowds and strangers due to my Asperger's, which makes socialization really damned annoying to ever approach successfully.

That is about it.

Hatter

Dec 12, 2010
Heights are a kind of for me, I can stand on top of a 4 story house with a slanted roof relatively comfortably, and if I'm 100000000 feet up in the air on a balance beam with a safety harness or a parachute than I'd probably be even more comfortable then on the roof, but put me on the empire state building and I'll be hugging the floor.

Spiders are a big nono for me. people with abnormally large limbs (the wheres the fish? monty python guy for instance) scare the living hell out of me. And I'm also am not a fan of being trapped in a small place with no way out in which I'll die if I don't get out/being buried alive.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm afraid of heights but not sure it would qualify as a phobia since I won't completely freeze and won't get a seizure if I'm at heights even if I find it highly unecessary to be there at that moment.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
No phobias.

Hell, I'm almost fearless.

I have no fears involving my own personal safety that I'm aware of. I recognize danger and good idea vs bad idea and all that on a logical level, but nothing actually causes me fear.
I realized this one day after very nearly getting into an 80mph car wreck and noticing my pulse hadn't even jumped.
It had me a bit concerned for a while that I'd end up not being afraid of something that I SHOULD be afraid of and it would get me seriously messed up...but it luckily doesn't seem to work like that. All my aversion to danger is still working just fine. The fear component just up and left....

All my fears have to do with the safety/happiness/well-being of loved ones. They're not irrational fears. It's just the only time I feel fear is when something threatens the people I love. Perhaps as a consequence I've become very hard-hearted to most people. I just can't allow myself to care as much as I perhaps should about as many people as I probably should, or else it will drive me nuts. Instead, I'll give all my focus to this handful of very deserving people.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Got a pretty bad case of social phobia. Also freak out when flying insects gets near my face.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
crudus said:
I have three. Glossophobia, Keindranophobia, and Trypanophobia.

BENZOOKA said:
Wasn't there a thread about irrational fears just a day or two ago?
Google my fears and you get a list off all of the ones I have responded to. Please note I don't respond to all of them.
Heh, I'm so slow today. It took halfway of the morning cup of coffee to process your response, thinking you'd quoted the wrong post for someone who had same phobias or something. But I got it, finally. Actually I don't mind if the same topic comes around every few months, but when the idea for the thread comes either intentionally or subconsciously from a couple-of-days-old popular thread: I just don't see the point.

What's keindranophobia? All google listed was maybe you and a couple other people, without a definition for it.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
BENZOOKA said:
What's keindranophobia? All google listed was maybe you and a couple other people, without a definition for it.
Yeah, I realized I didn't word that sentence the best way. Anyway, sound it out very slowly and you should be able to get it.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
ectoplasmicz said:
Wasps and hornets. Cannot do them. Scare the shit out of me...
I feel what you say bro...I FUCKING HATE THOSE THINGS !!!! Im also scarred of quicksand... i think it goes back to that scene in "The Jungle Book" (the live action movie from the 90's) just the idea of the ground sucking you to the bottom makes me nervous. I know it's not true though, but it still gets to me.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I have severe arachniphobia, i can't be anywhere near them or i flip out.

God i hate spiders.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Several, actually. Probably too many to list.

...Well, that's slightly hyperbolic. I'm just too lazy to type them all out.

Super Six One

Apr 23, 2009
I'm quite scared of the sea, i've been swimming since i was 5 and i'm really good in the water, its just the sea creeps me out. If im wearing goggles i'm not too bad, because i can see what is underneath me, but i usually just stay away from it.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Umm...not that I'm aware of. Sure I'm afraid of quite of a few things, most severely of death, but nothing approaching a clinical issue that would cause me to break down mentally when subjected to this fear. At least not that I'm aware of.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
In order:

Goblin sharks, drowned rotted bodies, rotted bodies, basking sharks, drowning.

Considering I've been stabbed, shot, been in a potentially lethal fight and had to stop a rape,I'd call those irrational.