Poll: Do You Invert?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I can use both, and the one I use depends on which is used before me.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Rivana said:
Evil Jak said:
I only use inverted camera on City of Heroes/Villains. Anyhting else and its up is up and down is down.
It drove me crazy that it was inverted on coh/cov.

Was normal to them inverted? Cos it seemed that way, I have to change it every time I log in and it lies and says the camera is normal but it isnt.

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Pi_Fighter said:
Apparently, when you pick up a game for the first time, whether or not you like the inverse thumbstick/mouse setting depends on which side of the brain you use most.

I use inverse. Because I can.

P.S. To anyone wonderring:
The y-axis is the up/down.
I found a paper during my psych degree research which theorised that inversion often comes down to perspective. Inverters apparently tend to view the camera as a physical mechanism wthin the virtual environment to be manipulated much like their neck would move to adjust the view in real life. Non-inverters allegedly see the environment purely as an interface so their logic dictates up be up and down be down.

Of course, we adapt to different styles, but I think our initial approach may indeed be dictated about whetther you use the creative or logical side of your brain.

Hrrrm... I should have done my thesis on this and not VR. :-/

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I honestly cannot understand how anyone can play a game without inverting the Y-axis.

1) The act of leaning forward naturally dips your field of vision. Likewise, the act of leaning back raises your vision. This suggests, by simply logic, that in any FPS game (or any game, really) that tilting forward should dip the camera.

2) Vehicles that use stick, both real and radio controlled, virtually always use an inverted control system; pushing forward on an aircraft's controls dips the nose, and pulling back raises it.

It just feels... wrong to do it any other way.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
on consoles I do, on computer i don't
Heh, I thought I was going to be the only one with that answer.

Exception of course still being flight sims.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Inverted always, because it's insanely more logical. If you picture the imaginary camera floating behind your character (be it his/her/its back or his/her/its eyes), think of the movement you make to have the camera point to the sky. You tilt back on the base of the camera to angle the front upwards. You tilt back your head to look at the clouds. You pull back on the thumbstick, joystick, or mouse. The opposite occurs when angling the camera down. Besides the fact that flight controls respond in the same manner.

Flying or shooting, it doesn't matter. I'm liking how more and more games invert by default, so the "invert" setting actually does that horrible flip-flop where pushing up on the stick makes the camera go up. At least 'round these parts, every time I jump on someone's XBOX to Halo or whatever, it's almost always inverted. The host will point out profiles that aren't inverted because they are weird and counter-intuitive.

Oh. Wargamer just posted the exact same thing. I agree! So much more natural. And JagoGuy's explanation was pretty deep. Interesting thoughts...

Edit: What I want to know is who inverts their x-axis, because I see that option in games, but it scares me. Who wants pushing right on the stick turn their avatar left!? Madness.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
I don't invert my Y-axis, I have it the correct way up.
It just so happens that almost everyone else in the world happens to like having it inverted themselves...

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Always standard. Up is up. Down is down. Left is left. Right is right. Same with movement. Anything else would be ridiculous.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I invert the Y-axis on all console shooters and flight games. Everything else is the standard.

Jast

Mar 18, 2009
I can't play a game unless the y-axis is inverted or I'll always be shooting the sun or my feet. Silent Hill: Homecoming didn't come with an inverted y-axis option (except for aiming I know) and it was one of the hardest gaming experiences just for that. *shame* Usually I wouldn't bother trying to re-teach my brain to work without it inverted but since I'm such a huge Silent Hill fan I be-grudgingly went on....painful experience.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
I dont mind playing with either, however since i normally play none inverted it takes me 10 minutes ish to get used to playing inverted. I've never seen why either way would be better tbh.

Sergeant M. Fudgey

Mar 26, 2009
OH GOD NO! I hate inverting, and can't play. I end up running into a wall and rubbing against it for five minutes before someone kills me.

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
All my friends play inverted. So hot-seating is a problem for me. Guess its a fair handicap seeing as I own the console though :p

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I always invert, which can be pretty annoying when I'm passing the controller back and forth with someone who doesn't. I've theorized in the past that whether you invert or not depends on your formative shooter experience - if it was an FPS, it makes more sense not to invert; if it was a flight sim, it makes more sense to invert. Since I started out playing TIE Fighter and Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, inverting is the only control scheme that makes sense to me. But if I started with a game like Quake or Counter-Strike, I could see that being different.

ganpondorodf

Apr 30, 2008
I can't play unless it's inverted. On a similar note, does anybody ever invert the X-axis? I've seen some games have this option and never known anybody to use it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Inverted, always.

Forward is forward, backward is backward. Not up and down. (You don't jump and crouch by pressing forward and backward on the left stick, right?)

And I'm sure I wanted to invert the X-axis in some third-person game. Mass Effect, probably. It wouldn't let me, though, so I had to get used to how the camera was set up.