Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

NastoK

Jun 4, 2011
Well, English is my second language, Serbian being my first. I love languages, and certainly plan on learning more of them, but I'm too lazy to start anytime soon.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I took three years of Spanish in High School, and now that I am in college I will be starting Japanese when the fall semester rolls around due to there not being any Japanese classes starting in the Spring semester.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I'm trying to learn French and a little Italian cause I want to. Unfortunately there are no classes around here so I have to teach myself. Tough.

I took a conversational Spanish class and didn't like it. Probably due to the fact that everyone around here who learns a foreign language always learn spanish, and I want to learn something different. Anyways, I've always wanted to learn French and Italian.

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
First language is English, second language is British Sign. I'm counting it.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
sean360h said:
my school is forcing me to learn Irish and I HATE it but I hate every language except English
I was not aware Irish was a language, I always thought they spoke English with awesome accents. Is it just Celtic maybe? The near dead language that they used to speak?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My first is English and my second is Chinese albeit I can't speak it properly. While yes I should try to speak it fluently but I have no interest to do so (I mean I would like to one day but not now). I suck at learning a new language (I fail at French, German and Welsh) anyway.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I took German in college and I'm not where I want to be in that at the moment, but I'm getting there! I was briefly learning Finnish, my Grandpa was teaching me since he is Finnish, but that eventually went.....south, if you know what I mean.

After my German is up to snuff I want to either continue Finnish or go learn Italian.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Retal19 said:
I'm learning German. I have to take at least one language in School, and I could only choose between French and German. I'm planning on going into Engineering, so I thought German would be the best choice. Aber, ich bin nicht so gut, und die uhr ich spende in die klassenzimmer ist todlangweilig. Es ist ein sehr schone sprache, aber ich hasse die stunde. Meine lieblingsfache ist Geschichte, und es habe kleine Deutsche.
My Vocabulary and Grammar is horrid, I know. ._.
Du schreibst gut! Ja, ein schlechter lehrer kann furchtbar sein, wenn man eine Sprache lernen will. Leider lehrt meine Lehrerin nicht so viel, also muss ich zu hause lernen. auch hab ich meinen Onkel, der Deutsch spricht, und er hilft viel. Und mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt auch.

fessferenc

Apr 17, 2009
I'm Canadian, so english is my native tongue, but earlier this year i participated in a student exchange, and i went to Qingdao, Shandong province, China for 6 weeks. I learned a little of mandarin while i was there and have been studying it somewhat since then.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Swedish, English and broken German. I went to a German class for a year, and I sort of remember it.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Je peux parler français un peu. Je l'a appris pour quatre ans, mais je ne l'apprende pas maintenant, parce que mon prof cet an etais terrible. :(

That was probably pretty atrocious, but essentially I've been doing French at school for four years, and I used to love it, but this year I've had an awful teacher who's sapped my enjoyment and enthusiasm for the language, while I've fallen behind a bit. Now I'm dropping it, although I feel a little bit guilty. :(

Also, wo hui suo yidianr hanyu. :p I did Chinese for two years, was doing pretty well, and then I went to China for two weeks and made the depressing realisation that my somewhat broken Chinese was already enough to get by, because so many people there spoke English. :/

/edit
I also did seven years of Italian in primary school, but, honestly, I don't remember shit of that. Comme ti chiami? Molto bene. Et tu? That's almost decade of education right there. :p

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I lived in China for a while, I've forgotten almost all of it now, I'm close to landing a job in Japan, so I might be learning that pretty soon.

EDIT: The freaking Captcha guys are the worst trolls on the internet. 0.0388 but written vertically?

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Fiad said:
sean360h said:
my school is forcing me to learn Irish and I HATE it but I hate every language except English
I was not aware Irish was a language, I always thought they spoke English with awesome accents. Is it just Celtic maybe? The near dead language that they used to speak?
I think its a watered down version of Irish lots of it has been stolen from English(Anglicization) for example car is "carr" (I could go on but I dont want to waste your time)
Its not even popular in Ireland, the British smacked it out of us like 500 years ago.
I think that there is about 5-10 percent of the Irish population natively speak it. so dead language no dieing yes and it cant come fast enough

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Powereaver said:
sure i love languages and im always being offered to get taught a multitude of different languages by my european friends so if the opportunity is there i might take it up.. but atm im learning german :D
Jawohl!

Seit wann hast du Deutsch gelernt? How long have you been learning German?

I swear these captchas get harder to discourage me from posting to much.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
I wasn't able to take any language courses until my freshman year of high school. I took German for 3 years, and my German is really not even passable. Mostly because I get no practice at all.

I'm now taking Spanish, and enjoying it. Much easier than German. I just love language, I hope to be fluent in at least three.

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
Estaba estudiando español en el colegio por 4 años, y aún puedo hablarlo y escribirlo bastante bien. Ya no estoy asistando a clases de español porque ahora estoy asistando a la universidad, pero siempre estoy aprendiendo más por el internet y lo practicando con cosas como este thread (fans de anime hispanohablantes son un bien modo especialmente para mi).

だけど、今日本語を勉強してる。まだ下手だけどがんばっているよ。ぶんぽうはむずかしくないと思うでもそのかんじはちょっと。たのしいだけどたくさん練習した法がいい。

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
sean360h said:
Fiad said:
sean360h said:
I think its a watered down version of Irish lots of it has been stolen from English(Anglicization) for example car is "carr" (I could go on but I dont want to waste your time)
Its not even popular in Ireland, the British smacked it out of us like 500 years ago.
I think that there is about 5-10 percent of the Irish population natively speak it. so dead language no dieing yes and it cant come fast enough
Well I did not know that, may have to actually look into it some time.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Well, so English is my second language and I have been told I speak that quite well.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Bobbity said:
Je peux parler français un peu. Je l'a appris pour quatre ans, mais je ne l'apprende pas maintenant, parce que mon prof cet an etais terrible. :(

That was probably pretty atrocious, but essentially I've been doing French at school for four years, and I used to love it, but this year I've had an awful teacher who's sapped my enjoyment and enthusiasm for the language, while I've fallen behind a bit. Now I'm dropping it, although I feel a little bit guilty. :(

Also, wo hui suo yidianr hanyu. :p
heh

Wo jiao Austin, and that's all I know in chinese. :D

Yeah, terrible teachers can really ruin languages for people.