Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Fully Fluent in English and French, trying to pick up some Russian but its going rather slowly for now due to all the other work im doing.

Edit: kind of jealous of my girlfriend honestly, she's fluent in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian, plus she wants to learn Russian with me.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm fluent in two and are learning a third one. I'm Greek and I've been living in the US for the last 6 years so I know Greek and English. I've also studied Japanese for the past 7~ years now and although not fluent yet I know enough to be able to play imported games from Japan and converse/watch tv.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Zarkov said:
BiH-Kira said:
I speak German, English, a bit of French and currently learning Japanese.
Shouldn't forget my native language, Bosnian.

There is also some Latin from high school.

I can say I'm a polyglot.
And you know, with all those languages in your head... which one do you use for thinking? haha
I... don't really know.
Currently it's in English simply because I'm answering in English.
It all depends on the situation, but I would say mostly in my native language.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Plumerou said:
i know english and spanish (being spanish my native tongue), but my only little problem is that my english is a weird mix of "british english" and "american english", the reason being that in my school they teached the british one, and the american i learned from playing games with a dictionary on my lap to be honest, online gaming also and my absolute refusal to play any game that has been dubbed in spanish (there are some that are actually good, but most are just awful to be honest once you hear the voices and words you could say as they were intended).

also im considering learning another language, when the time comes, right now i want to perfect my english and then focus on something else, been thinking about german actually or russian (since im studying right now to be an engineer).
Nimm Deutsch! Take German, you won't regret it. It's pretty similar to Englisch in some ways and the only difficult part about German are the articles and the prepositions (grammatically, at least. Pronunciation takes time to get use to.)

Although, I'm biased 'cause I love German

dirtsa

Aug 24, 2011
English is my second language (Danish being the first) and I studied German for 7 years.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Zarkov said:
BiH-Kira said:
I speak German, English, a bit of French and currently learning Japanese.
Shouldn't forget my native language, Bosnian.

There is also some Latin from high school.

I can say I'm a polyglot.
And you know, with all those languages in your head... which one do you use for thinking? haha
I... don't really know.
Currently it's in English simply because I'm answering in English.
It all depends on the situation, but I would say mostly in my native language.
Yeah, I bet it's kinda weird to think about but natural for you. I've always wondered what it would be like to think in two languages, and hopefully someday I'll be able to.

EpicEps

Nov 29, 2011
Does anyone know how to type in hiragana or katakana? I can't get the languages to type right on my computer.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
I want to learn Japanese so I want watch the shows there like anime and books. Also their language is art. It sucks thought that Canada only teaches English, French, and Spanish.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I read and write well in English and Spanish. Studied French in high school but haven't really kept up with it. Been meaning to but my study time is dedicated to other things at the moment.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
EpicEps said:
Does anyone know how to type in hiragana or katakana? I can't get the languages to type right on my computer.
Windows Vista/7 has a built in program to make your keyboard type in whatever language you want. That's how I get the umlauts for German and the Japanese characters for Japanese.

Just look up "IME Microsoft [input OS here]" on google.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Well my secound language is english. Also had german in school, but I did not bother learning that properly.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Spanish is my second language. Didn't want to learn it, but you have to know Spanish if you're going to live in a country where its the primary language, as you should for any other language.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I was in French immersion all through grade school so I had an excellent understanding of the language. However, I never kept it up and have since lost everything but about 20 words and the ability to enunciate everything correctly.

As such, no, I don't know a second language, and no I don't want to learn another one. I was forced into immersion classes growing up and gained no sense of satisfaction from learning French.

I understand a lot of people like to learn languages to better understand the culture. If that's true it explains a lot for me as I personally find history/culture studies to be boring.

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
What do you call someone who can speak two languages? Bilingual.
What about three languages? Trilingual.
Okay, what about someone who knows only one language? An American.

I'm fluent in both English and American Sign Language.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I took a couple years of high school Spanish, but then I realized that I don't like Spanish very much.

So now I'm learning German, because I really like German and would enjoy being fluent (or close to).

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I'm learning Spanish because it's rquired. I'd like to learn german or a scandinavian language.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
seraphy said:
Most of Europe knows english as a second language.

Because it is useful to whine about stuff in websites like these!

I also speak swedish and germany a bit.
I find your avatar most quaint after reading that... and chuckling...

OT: Where's the option for plain old 'yes'...

I'm... whatever, I speak English, Yue, Japanese and conversational French and German. And I can read Italian passably, though don't expect me to speak it.
What is Yue? Is that like Mandarin or Cantonese?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I learned Spanish during all of High School, but I forgot most of it. I kinda want to learn Russian, Japanese, and German though.