Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Being Brazilian, I'm fluent in portuguese(native), spanish and english. I'm currently working on some french, but college is kind of crippling my schedules for that.
I also plan on getting some german or italian classes after i'm done with french.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Took two years of German about four years back. I'm in my fifth year of Latin right now. I've studied a small bit of Icelandic and Finnish in my spare time (hardly enough to be close to fluent or even competent, though).

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
EpicEps said:
SenorNemo said:
Estaba estudiando español en el colegio por 4 años, y aún puedo hablarlo y escribirlo bastante bien. Ya no estoy asistando a clases de español porque ahora estoy asistando a la universidad, pero siempre estoy aprendiendo más por el internet y lo practicando con cosas como este thread (fans de anime hispanohablantes son un bien modo especialmente para mi).

だけど、今日本語を勉強してる。まだ下手だけどがんばっているよ。ぶんぽうはむずかしくないと思うでもそのかんじはちょっと。たのしいだけどたくさん練習した法がいい。
Su palabras en Japonés, como usanos? Quando uso Japonés con este, solos numberos fueron y nada de la hiragana o katakana. Es el ordenador o un programa? Lo siento de español de mi es mal, no hablé con un otro en tiempo grande.
No es un programa, es un característica de la computadora. Estoy usando un mac, y por eso, es diferente. No sé por cierto como se escriben en un PC. Es posible, yo lo sé ciertamente, pero no puedo recordar los detallos. Lo siento.

Bueno, sobre tu español, puedo entenderte, y mi propio español tambien es obviamente imperfecto. Se parece que solo tienes que practicarlo para mejorarlo. Veo que sabías más español en el pasado que puedes recorder ahora.

Sep 14, 2009
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)

EDIT: I'm really liking all of the foreign (Foreign to me, at least :p) language love! You know what I think? The Escapist should have a group for each respective language. lolololo

I wonder if there's a German group here... :D

On the poll results are a little surprising in that I thought there would be more people against learning a second language, but I forget that the Escapist a large group of speakers which their second language is English.
ah deutsch ja? ich als fur vier jahre (es tut mir leid, mein deutsche ist sogar schlecter)

At the time i took it as a requirement, and i honestly couldn't have given less of a fuck about it, i hated the grammar of it and i am probably never going to leave the states so my lazy side never cared for it. (i'm slowly picking up more and more surprisingly..somehow?)

but yeah, i live in the center of the damn united states, and the onyl other language remotely spoken besides english is super broken spanish, which i also have no intent on learning.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Well, like anyone around here who doesn't have English as their primary language, yeah, obviously, I speak I second language. I also studied German in elementary/high school, but it never interested me at the time, so I only know a few things here and there. I'm pondering learning French atm, both to have a second language among English speaking people (as I doubt many will give a toss for my native Serbian) and as I'm hoping to move to Canada one day so I figure knowing it would be a plus.

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it?
Second language? I got a ton of 'em man :p Well, I'm Norwegian, my mom is Polish, and my mom and dad communicated with English during my first three years of life (while mom learned Norwegian). I then decided to take two years of French in 8th and 9th grade, and two years of Spanish after that. I've also started to dabble a bit in Japanese (mostly due to the fact that some games I want to play aren't getting localized in the west), and eventually I'm hoping to learn sign-language so I can communicate with deaf people. I've also dabbled a bit in Italian due to the fact that my family have been on vacation there three times.

If I only had more time... xD

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
1st Language: Spanish
2nd Language: English
Interested to learn: Japanese, German (already know a little German xD)

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
Currently in Spanish V in high school and plan on taking Japanese as well when I get into college. As for my fellow classmates most of them have been taking a language since middle school though I think we lost half of them my junior year when it turned into IB Spanish and things got difficult. Admittedly I have to wonder how many of them are taking a second language just because they know it looks better on their transcript as opposed to how many of them are taking it for fun. Some people in my class are actually doing their extended essays in Spanish (which I think is ridiculous I mean its 4000 words on a deep subject in a language they only have had 5 years in) however so I at least some people are into it.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Well, being American... nothing really.

The foreign language classes here are a joke and the general consensus usually is "just a class, not really important". It sucks for me (it is mostly my fault that I haven't learned a second language), because I live in Arizona right next to the border of Mexico. Knowing spanish would help out a ton.

Seriously, I envy you guys who took the time to learn another language. It's such a surprising thing when someone is bilingual here, even though it really shouldn't be.

Speaking about that though, I have an uncle who has crazy OCD yet he knows (I think) about 8 languages now. He travels all over the world as a teacher and can literally master the language in around 2 months. It's crazy. Last time I checked he knows Russian, English, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Spanish. And those are just the ones I know of.

Macabre9037

Jul 2, 2009
I know a fair bit of Spanish from High School, as I took it for 3 years. I am now studying French extensively in college, and of course my native language, English.
I would like to one day learn German as my father is fluent in it.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Zarkov said:
Powereaver said:
sure i love languages and im always being offered to get taught a multitude of different languages by my european friends so if the opportunity is there i might take it up.. but atm im learning german :D
Jawohl!

Seit wann hast du Deutsch gelernt? How long have you been learning German?

I swear these captchas get harder to discourage me from posting to much.
on and off for about 15 years :p also people try to teach me finnish and slovenian :D

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Thaa said:
Zarkov said:
Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)
Dativ ist richtig, also sagt man "seit zwei Jahren" und nicht "seit zwei Jahre". Aber ich glaub, dass man sagt, "Ich lerne seit zwei Jahren Deutsch".

Freu dich. Dein Deutsch ist echt gut, besonders weil du die richtige Satzstellung im Nebensatz benutzt hast. Die meisten Ausländer, die Deutsch lernen, machen das nie richtig: sie hätten "wenn mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt" geschrieben. Ich gebe zu, dass ich Fehler mache, obwohl ich seit langer Zeit Deutsch lerne...

Hm. I speak German...though fluency is just out of reach. That will be solved soon.
English is my first language.
I can speak Arabic well enough for two years...it's a hard language. But wonderful.
I just started learning Brazilian Portuguese this week. W00t! So nasally, but we'll see how it goes. At least I have friends to help me...!

...but the words they give me are useless. So far, all I can say is "I am the Empress of Brazil!" and "I will kill the wizards because they are beautiful and I want to be beautiful!"
Du hast rechts, es soll "ich lerne seit" nicht "ich hab seit gelernt" sein.

Ach ja, ich mache die ganze Zeit diesen Fehler. Ich denke immer "I have been learning German since", wenn ich den Satz schreibe.

Und seit wann lernst du deutsch? (oder haben gelernt? lerntest?! Ich weiß nicht lol) Ich sah, dass du geschrieben hast, dass du seit langer zeit lerne, aber seit wann ist das? Nur neugierig =]

Und es ist schwierig Deutsch zu lernen, weil ich in den USA wohne. Niemand spricht Deutsch hier, außer mein Onkel und ich. Also geh ich nach Deutschland mit meinem Onkel im Frühling. Ich werde dort nur eine woche bleiben und ich werde mein Deutsch während der Reise üben. Hoffentlich werd ich bessern, wenn ich zurück komme.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I know English and I guess a little French but I really wouldn't count that. I don't need a second language. It would be nice to have one I guess but it's not worth the effort for me.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
I speak French, English, and Vietnamese. Right now I am trying to learn Russian and German. So far, I can say, ?Is that a cat??, ?Hello,? ?I love you,? ?Your girlfriend has nice cans,? ?I love flowers,? ?You are a fish,? and ?Good morning."

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I speak norwegian with english as a second language. Seeing as i'm going to america to finish my college education i kinda have to know a second language, but i'm doing it because i want to so it's kinda both on there.

I did take a basic course of spanish for 2 years so i can understand a fair bit of it, but i don't feel like enough has stuck with me to actually allow me to be speaking it very well.

Also, since the three scandinavian languages are so similar i have no trouble understanding swedish or danish, and they shouldn't have much trouble with me either so in that respect i like to consider myself faily multilingual.

Oh, and i also did a one-year course in french, but didn't like it much. (And of course there's all the Assassin's Creed italian one might pick up >_>)

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

EDIT: I'm really liking all of the foreign (Foreign to me, at least :p) language love! You know what I think? The Escapist should have a group for each respective language. lolololo

On the poll results are a little surprising in that I thought there would be more people against learning a second language, but I forget that the Escapist a large group of speakers which their second language is English.
ah deutsch ja? ich als fur vier jahre (es tut mir leid, mein deutsche ist sogar schlecter)

At the time i took it as a requirement, and i honestly couldn't have given less of a fuck about it, i hated the grammar of it and i am probably never going to leave the states so my lazy side never cared for it. (i'm slowly picking up more and more surprisingly..somehow?)

but yeah, i live in the center of the damn united states, and the onyl other language remotely spoken besides english is super broken spanish, which i also have no intent on learning.
Exactly! That's why it's so hard to learn a language right now (here in the states). I've got practically got no one to speak it with and I only see my German speaking uncle once in a blue moon. But I will continue and learn the language fluently, even if it ends up killing me.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Ich kann Deutsche sprechen, aber nicht sehr gut, ich habe viel vergessen.

I'm considering trying to self-teach myself French sometime.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
My native language is English, and I have a minor in Spanish as part of my undergrad study, been studying Spanish for seven years, including a semester in Spain. I also took two years of German in high school. Being in Japan now, I've also been studying Japanese for the past three and a half years, since I got here. I'm taking the third (middle) level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test on Sunday, so it's been a lot of study for me lately. I doubt I'll pass, but it's worth a shot!

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
My second language is English. I had to learn it because I live in U.S.

I also tried my hands with Japanese and Spanish. I do much better with Japanese, so I hope to learn more of it in the future.

Sep 14, 2009
Zarkov said:
gmaverick019 said:
Zarkov said:

Exactly! That's why it's so hard to learn a language right now (here in the states). I've got practically got no one to speak it with and I only see my German speaking uncle once in a blue moon. But I will continue and learn the language fluently, even if it ends up killing me.
basically same, any friends i had in my german class are even worse than i am at it so my deterioration rate is next to impossible to stop lol

if i know i'm going to leave the US, especially towards a german speaking place, i will definitely kick my butt in gear to re learn what i have semi forgotten (i know enough german to get from once place to another, but beyond that i'm basically poop.)