Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
My native language is Finnish, I also speak quite fluent English. I've also studied French (but I suck at it) and I was forced to study Swedish (I suck at it as well), because that is the official second language of my country.

I'm not a student anymore though.

thesilviu

Nov 24, 2009
Besides my native language, which shouldn't count, I speak English fluently (from 4th grade), rusty French (the same). I understand 70% italian, 60% spanish. I also dable a little in Latin. This is just normal in our country. Most kids have two obligatory foreign language courses between 4th and 8th grade. Most of us pick a third language in college, but I didn't want to.

I now regret not knowing German. The winter is awesome in Austria and Switzerland.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
moonlantern said:
Ich bin studiert Deutsch wegen viertel Deutsch bin mich. (I think that's right.)
Der einzige Fehler ist, dass man "lernen" benutzt würde. Also glaub ich, dass es sein würde:
"Ich lerne Deutsch wegen viertel bin ich." Aber, ich weiß nicht, wie man "viertel" benutzt würde. I weiß nicht, ob das sinn macht oder nicht.

anyway, you have good German, just watch out for using "bin" when you really don't need it. If you write "ich studiere" that means "I am studying (at a college)"

=]

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
well im typing it right now so yes i know a second language, im thinking about learning japanese tho.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
I speak English, French, Spanish and Portuguese. I'm learning German and Czech.
I love learning languages, it's the only thing I'm any good at.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I was learning Cantonese so I would finally be able to talk to my Grandmother and some of my relatives.... but I gave up. Cantonese is by no means a dead language, but Mandarin is much more, well, shall we say.... important. And although both Mandarin and Cantonese are difficult languages, Mandarin has 4 "tones" while Cantonese has 7, some of which I can't even tell apart no matter how hard I try.

Learning new languages is moot however - in 10~15 years, we'll have instantaneous computer translation of both aural and written communication. I'd say in about 7 to 8 years we'll have computers that can understand human speech just as well as any human, and even now Google Search does a pretty damn good job of understanding what I'm saying to it. Google Translate and Language Tools work quite well for Spanish and French, and it's not too shabby for German, although it still has immense difficulty with Asian Languages.

But it's doable. I'm confident on that point - we will one day have machines that can translate, virtually perfectly, any text in any language to any other desired language. US Soldiers in Iraq are already using devices that can translate well known phrases from English to Arabic.

I'm not going to bother studying another language, because in 15, or at most, 20 years, I won't have to. I'll be able to talk to anyone on the damn planet.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Trying to learn French (want to move to Canada after uni) but I'm not doing a very good job haha

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I speak English, Spanish and Sarcasm.

I also know ASL, but I don't think that counts as speaking.

Move127

Jul 29, 2011
I studied German and Latin in high school. Now I'm studying Chinese because ... I can't really remember. I guess I enjoy it.
我在中国住了六个月。有一点想回国。

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
adderseal said:
I speak English, French, Spanish and Portuguese. I'm learning German and Czech.
I love learning languages, it's the only thing I'm any good at.
Seit wann lernst du Deutsch?

And with all of those languages, which one do you think in?

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
I speak fluent Swedish and my English is pretty okay. I also speak very small amounts of German and Finnish as well. Going to learn more Finnish at a later date though.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
English is my second language (granted, I began learning at the age of four or five), and Swedish is my native tongue. I also studied five years of French, one year Italian and two years of Japanese.
My plan is to become fluent in French and Japanese, and learn the basics of Hungarian, Persian and maybe Korean.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
Swedish and English fluently.
a good passive vocabulary of Spanish but a very bad active vocabulary (passive = understands, active = able to use).
I know a small amount of Japanese and I'm going to study Arabic(which kind will be reveild in time, wasn't allowed to specify...) this spring.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
I speak Swedish, English, Spanish, German, Bavarian (Oberpfälzisch asm Woid) and Italian. I'm gonna start studying French next semester. Why? Because I feel like it :)

I really really really dislike French. It sounds horrible to me and listening to it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. I'll cure this by learning what is actually said.

Hopefully I'll be successful :)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I speak English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese fluently, excluding retarded dialects.

I also speak a bit of Welsh, but not much. I want to learn Swedish and Chinese. Because let's face it, Sweden is awesome, and China is gonna own us in a few years. So might as well get the language down.