Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
Quite fluent in English, considering it's my second language. Dutch being my first. Aside from that I should be able to keep up a conversation with a German and a French person (possibly not at the same time, but the chances of that being the case are....well, not -that- small. I could always force them to both go English or sod off =D).
Japanese not that well, yet.

Andreson

Jun 18, 2011
Russian is my 1'st language, but somehow both Russian and Romanian are the languages I speak every day(guess where I live). Also i'm trying to learn to speak English on a more serious level then just casual speaking and such(something like writing official letters or documents). Where as you can well imagine, it needs a rather wide array of knowledge.

NEREVAR117

Aug 1, 2011
Oh ja, Ich bin lernen Deutsche.

For those who may not realize, that's German. I've been steadily teaching myself for 2 months now.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I'm pretty good, but far from fluent in spanish & irish. I'm also fairly good at understanding japanese, but terrible at speaking it (you'll never guess why that is).

One of my long-term life goals is to gain fluency in those, as well as german and russian, and after that, who knows. Maybe arabic, or hindi, or swedish. So many languages, so little time.

You may have guessed, I have a bit of a passion for languages.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I am fluent in three languages, and I can understand a fourth (Can't speak)

My first language I Swedish and I speak it fluently at home (mostly with my parents).
I picked up some words and phrases in Portuguese in my early years from my Dad, but I never used them regularly so they're forgotten by now.
I then learned French because the morning cartoons and most other things around me were dubbed into French where I lived (Belgium, and later Switzerland).
Once I started to go to international schools instead of Swedish/Scandinavian ones, I had to learn English fluently too. My English is now better than my Swedish, as I use it all the time, including when speaking to my siblings.
I also took Spanish for 2 years in school, and it is good enough for me to understand most of it when listening/reading, but I'm still at the stage where I don't feel comfortable enough to speak it.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I've made it a goal in my life to learn as many languages as possible, so far I have mastered English (native language), Chinese, and partially German. Not fluent, but if I went to Germany I could hold my own and be able to understand nearly everything with ease. Next language on the chopping block is Russian, and then I will attempt to learn Arabic.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I can currently speak 3 different languages fluently. I can understand German and French, but I haven't mastered those yet. Not planning on learning any more after these two.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Speaking it right now, bud.
I know English, Norwegian, a decent bit of french, enough german and spanish to navigate my way in their respective countries, and I understand swedish and danish just fine. Well...danish sounds completely garbled, but if they speak a bit slower...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)

EDIT: I'm really liking all of the foreign (Foreign to me, at least :p) language love! You know what I think? The Escapist should have a group for each respective language. lolololo

I wonder if there's a German group here... :D

On the poll results are a little surprising in that I thought there would be more people against learning a second language, but I forget that the Escapist a large group of speakers which their second language is English.
I passed College Level Spanish 201. And that's all I'm taking. I bluffed my way through to get a "B".

I won't be taking any more, that's for sure

Yael Rivera

Jul 25, 2011
I speak both english and spanish fluently and a bit of italian I want to learn another language but i dont know which

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Zarkov said:
So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?
I think Languages are a really great thing, it's a bit sad I only know 3 languages.

Here's the deal.
I am from Finland and Finland is a bilingual country, this means. In our constitution it sais that the languages of finland are Finnish and Swedish. The Swedih speaking part is really small but I happen to belong to that group. My mo speaks Swedish, my dad speaks Finnish = I learn both languages from birth and of course I know English (like 98% of the Finnish population).

It sux that I haven't tried reading enything else, I'd like to but I think I am a bit too lazy, German, Russian and Spanish would be the ones I am interested in.

gertmenkel

May 13, 2010
Native Dutch speaker, learning English at school.
I'm also learning how to translate latin texts to Dutch, but I wonder why anyone would actually need something like that. Well, I guess it's usefull for finding jobs...

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
Zarkov said:
adderseal said:
I speak English, French, Spanish and Portuguese. I'm learning German and Czech.
I love learning languages, it's the only thing I'm any good at.
Seit wann lernst du Deutsch?

And with all of those languages, which one do you think in?
Nur seit zwei Monaten, aber ich denke dass ich habe viel gelernt. Man musst der Fälle hüten!
In Czech there are 7... makes German seem simple.

I think in either English or French- French is technically my mother tongue but I've been living in England for most of my life, so my English is better.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Well, I am German and learned English (+Latin) in school, later on I did a course in Dutch to be able to study in the Netherlands and now I'm learning Japanese.
It's fun to be able to understand several different languages and maybe even move to another country.