Poll: Do you know more than one language?

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Simple question with very little discussion value, do you know more than one language? Or is it just English (assuming you just speak English, how else would you read this)?

Vote on the poll, it's made for everybody, even you, yes you, the person i'm talking to RIGHT NOW.

Not gonna vote? That's ok, sure, fine. Just know this, I know where you are...it would be a shame if something were to happen to you...

Oh yeah, I need to give a reason to post a comment. Well then, if you speak more than one language, what languages do you speak? If you don't speak more than one language, write an essay on why you only speak one language (100 words, 10 words per line).

Also, where're you from?

Edit: I forgot that some people can only kinda speak other languages, not entirely. I tried to edit the poll but the very reliable, user friendly, quality tools on this site won't let me.
Just vote which ever option you feel is closest to your type of answer and comment to make it more clear.

You know what? Computers have a language too, so programming language counts because I vaguely heard that knowing allot of programming is the equivalent of knowing an actual human language.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I know snippets of German and Spanish, but I doubt they would count as knowing another language.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I cant really vote in this poll, because i wouldnt say i could actually speak another language, but i know enough of both french and japanese that if i were to become lost in either country i would be able to survive

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
English, Swedish and some(very little) Spanish.
Being a Swede I can also understand Norweigan pretty flawlessly. Depends on which of their two languages they speak!

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I can speak both English and German albeit I can't speak German that well and my college doesn't have German as a language I can take so I have to go with my back up and learn Latin.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
Well seeing as I'm Norwegian I can obviously speak Norwegian. And seeing as I'm on the internet, I better be able to speak English. So yeah. I know two languages.

Also know bits and pieces of German, and about two sentences in Spanish.

-V

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
fluent: english and german
a bit: dutch
learning: hebrew
want to learn: japanese, italian, arabic

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
I cant really vote in this poll, because i wouldnt say i could actually speak another language, but i know enough of both french and japanese that if i were to become lost in either country i would be able to survive
Oh, well let me fix that then.

*fixed*.

Actually, it seems to be broken now.

Thank you escapist staff for producing a very reliable website.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
I am aware of many languages! Har har har...

OT: I only speak English fluently, because... I'm from there so I have to!
I learned German and French, but I wouldn't say I can speak them.

Pistachio101

Mar 1, 2011
I only speak language because I attempted to learn both French and Spanish at school. Long story short. I failed. Hard. Sp hard in fact that the person who I was sitting next to failed to. I'm fairly sure it was my fault since he is now learning Japanese at University. XD

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
fluent: english, german and greek
a bit: turkish and latin
understanding: dutch, a lot of italian and spanish

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
DanielBrown said:
English, Swedish and some(very little) Spanish.
Being a Swede I can also understand Norweigan pretty flawlessly. Depends on which of their two languages they speak!
So true, so true.

I'm a Swede as well, so I speak English and Swedish. I also have basic knowledge in French, enough to survive on, but not to participate in any real discussion. I understand Norwegian in about half the cases, and I even understand Skånska! Shut up, IT ISN'T SWEDISH! IT'S AN ABOMINATION AND NOT WORTHY OF BEING CALLED A SWEDISH DIALECT!!! xD

gertmenkel

May 13, 2010
Coraxian said:
English, Dutch, Flemish, French, German, Slovak (well, less these days).
Ehm... Isn't Flemish just a version of Dutch? Well, if you say it isn't...

OT:
I can only speak Dutch fluently, but all languages I know at least the basics of:
Dutch, English, French, German, Latin and Greek (ancient Greek that is - not sure why we don't just learn modern Greek. Maybe it proves usefull if I ever go to some Greek temple or something like that.)
Also VB6, VB.NET and a little C++ :)

EDIT: Also, why do so many people around here know Dutch? Are we that important?
EDIT EDIT: I really should try to read better. I'm from the Netherlands.