Poll: Do you know more than one language?

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I speak English (Australian native) and German (learning, by myself too. :D). I can hold a fair conversation in both languages, but you'll eventually stump me in German, especially if you don't use the language (spelling, grammar) properly or you use slang.

Lunoir

Jun 12, 2010
German, French, English, Luxembourgish (Yes, I'm from Luxembourg, that little winky next to Germany xD)

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Wierdguy said:
JLML said:
and I even understand Skånska! Shut up, IT ISN'T SWEDISH! IT'S AN ABOMINATION AND NOT WORTHY OF BEING CALLED A SWEDISH DIALECT!!! xD
Vi Skåningar är en stolt minoritet!

Om du ursäktar - men jag måste ta den här rullebören med spättekaka till ladan...
Ni é fan ingen minoritet! Vi ÄKTA göteborgare é det! Fan, min lärare dissade sönder er när vi snackade om svensk språkhistoria. "Det finns inget jävla 'aue' (eller hur fan man nu ska härma ert uttal på 'å' ^^) i det svenska språket!"

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Gaiseric said:
Jack the Potato said:
Gaiseric said:
Nope. That is unless you count a mostly forgotten 2 years of high school french(which you shouldn't b/c of the 'forgotten' part). Or the curse words I know in different languages.

I wish I knew more. If only so when I'm around my friends families and they start speaking Spanish I know what's going on. I'd settle for just understanding another language.

If I manage to get into the military, I'll try to pick up any language I can(starting where I end up stationed).
Or just sign up to be an interpreter, then the military will PAY YOU just to learn a language. And yes, Spanish is available. BUT DON'T PICK FARSI. I can't stress enough how much it sucks to learn.
I'd rather pick up something else(I could just start bugging my friends to teach me some). I mean I know plenty of dudes who speak Spanish in the military. Maybe Manderin or Russian? Something that has a higher potential for having less people to speak it(in the military that is). Probably because they're harder to learn.
Chinese is definitely available too, but it's tough. And Russian is offered, but only sometimes (they aren't the boogeymen they used to be).

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
It's kinda funny that I answer this poll, because if I didn't speak more than one language I wouldn't be here -at all-. I'm Brazilian, thus I can speak both Portuguese and English.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
Chinese is definitely available too, but it's tough. And Russian is offered, but only sometimes (they aren't the boogeymen they used to be).
I know the Ruskies aren't, but if we start cooperating more often we'd need more people to translate.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I speak two and a half. Icelandic, English and extremely fractured Danish. But I hate Danish so it's all cool.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
JLML said:
Wierdguy said:
JLML said:
and I even understand Skånska! Shut up, IT ISN'T SWEDISH! IT'S AN ABOMINATION AND NOT WORTHY OF BEING CALLED A SWEDISH DIALECT!!! xD
Vi Skåningar är en stolt minoritet!

Om du ursäktar - men jag måste ta den här rullebören med spättekaka till ladan...
Ni é fan ingen minoritet! Vi ÄKTA göteborgare é det! Fan, min lärare dissade sönder er när vi snackade om svensk språkhistoria. "Det finns inget jävla 'aue' (eller hur fan man nu ska härma ert uttal på 'å' ^^) i det svenska språket!"
Pfft - visar bara va du vet, det är mer 'äou' än 'aue'! Dessutom - man kan inte värdera en stad som en minoritet! För att inte tala om att 'Götebörjare' har en bredare dialekt än Skåningar. =p

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
English is my native language (originally from the USA), I speak Spanish semi-fluently (7 years of study in high school and college), I know enough Japanese to get by here (currently living in Japan - self-taught and some tutoring), and I know some German (also high school). Though I'm running into the situation where as I get good at one foreign language my skill with the others goes downhill. Having a hard time keeping up with them all.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I would say I know one and a half. English, and GCSE French.

I got A*s in all the French exams too! I'd probably even be able to hold a conversation that wasn't just about 'qu'est-ce que je voudrais dans mon sandwich', or 'qu'est-ce que j'aime faire au week-end'.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I am fluent in English, semi-fluent in FutureBasic code and vaguely familiar with C++

...Oh, those languages don't count? Blast. English only, then.

thespianicism

Aug 7, 2010
I am okay in French and I would really like to learn Norwegian. My mom's side of the family is Norwegian and whenever my aunt, mother, and grandmother get together, I am completely in the dark.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Yup. Serbian and English. Know a tiny bit of German, but barely worth mentioning really.