Poll: Do you know more than one language?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
I cant really vote in this poll, because i wouldnt say i could actually speak another language, but i know enough of both french and japanese that if i were to become lost in either country i would be able to survive
Oh, well let me fix that then.

*fixed*.

Actually, it seems to be broken now.
ah well.. its the thought that counts :)
stupid polls :(

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I went with Yes, even though my French was pretty limited when I finished it in school, so it's probably got even worse now.
I might be able to piece together a bit if someone talked enough of it at me.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Dutch, English pretty much fluent
French, German, Japanese (not much experience in conversation though).
With my Latin knowledge I can get by in Spain and Italy too.

I see a lot of people interested in Japanese. Do it, it's not that difficult, as opposed to chinese or so.

Coraxian

Jul 22, 2010
gertmenkel said:
Coraxian said:
English, Dutch, Flemish, French, German, Slovak (well, less these days).
Ehm... Isn't Flemish just a version of Dutch? Well, if you say it isn't...

OT:
I can only speak Dutch fluently, but all languages I know at least the basics of:
Dutch, English, French, German, Latin and Greek (ancient Greek that is - not sure why we don't just learn modern Greek. Maybe it proves usefull if I ever go to some Greek temple or something like that.)
Also VB6, VB.NET and a little C++ :)

EDIT: Also, why do so many people around here know Dutch? Are we that important?
EDIT EDIT: I really should try to read better. I'm from the Netherlands.
Talk to some Germans and they'll say Dutch is just a version of German ;).

Had Latin and ancient Greek for a year in high school and from my experience they help to understand the relationship between different languages. In short: it helps you learn other languages more easily.

Toshiooh

Mar 17, 2011
I speak English and French fluently, I know a bit of German and I'm learning Japanese. It's useful in Europe to know more than one language so I'm bit obliged.

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Simple question with very little discussion value, do you know more than one language? Or is it just English (assuming you just speak English, how else would you read this)?

Vote on the poll, it's made for everybody, even you, yes you, the person i'm talking to RIGHT NOW.

Not gonna vote? That's ok, sure, fine. Just know this, I know where you are...it would be a shame if something were to happen to you...

Oh yeah, I need to give a reason to post a comment. Well then, if you speak more than one language, what languages do you speak? If you don't speak more than one language, write an essay on why you only speak one language (100 words, 10 words per line).

Also, where're you from?

Edit: I forgot that some people can only kinda speak other languages, not entirely. I tried to edit the poll but the very reliable, user friendly, quality tools on this site won't let me.
Just vote which ever option you feel is closest to your type of answer and comment to make it more clear.
great writing style, i like.

OT: i'm german, and i speak ofc german, english and bad french.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Im bilingual, so I speak both swedish and finnish fluetly, and the same goes for my english. I also speak conversational german, although I understand it far better than I speak it myself. Apart from those, I speak a little bit french, a little bit afrikaans and norwegian and danish, to some extent. I usually try to learn the basics of any language I visit or am interested in, but as anyone who speaks swedish, it's not particularily hard for me to understand norwegian or danish.

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
JLML said:
and I even understand Skånska! Shut up, IT ISN'T SWEDISH! IT'S AN ABOMINATION AND NOT WORTHY OF BEING CALLED A SWEDISH DIALECT!!! xD
Vi Skåningar är en stolt minoritet!

Om du ursäktar - men jag måste ta den här rullebören med spättekaka till ladan...

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Not really. 2 years of high school French, 2 years of high school Japanese, and 25 weeks of an intensive Farsi course less than a year ago and I barely remember anything about the languages. I could recite the Farsi alphabet and maybe give a short sentence or two, but I hated Farsi so much that when I was done with it my brain just flushed out all the info I learned. Seriously, no offense to any Iranian that may be on here, but your language is awful to learn. It is the English of the Middle East. Yeah, it's that bad.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Do dead languages count? Granted, I can't actually SPEAK most of them, but if they do, wrack up an extra 5 for me..

Otherwise, English + halting French and Italian.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Nope. That is unless you count a mostly forgotten 2 years of high school french(which you shouldn't b/c of the 'forgotten' part). Or the curse words I know in different languages.

I wish I knew more. If only so when I'm around my friends families and they start speaking Spanish I know what's going on. I'd settle for just understanding another language.

If I manage to get into the military, I'll try to pick up any language I can(starting where I end up stationed).

edit: *looks at poll results* You multilingual bastards.

[sub]making me look bad T_T[/sub]

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Gaiseric said:
Nope. That is unless you count a mostly forgotten 2 years of high school french(which you shouldn't b/c of the 'forgotten' part). Or the curse words I know in different languages.

I wish I knew more. If only so when I'm around my friends families and they start speaking Spanish I know what's going on. I'd settle for just understanding another language.

If I manage to get into the military, I'll try to pick up any language I can(starting where I end up stationed).
Or just sign up to be an interpreter, then the military will PAY YOU just to learn a language. And yes, Spanish is available. BUT DON'T PICK FARSI. I can't stress enough how much it sucks to learn.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
I'm from Venezuela (I'd me amazed if someone knows where my country is without the mention of out shitty government), and Spanish is my Native. I learned English from watching Friends with Subtitles, and other shows, like Scrubs. Classes really didn't do much. Zero Punctuation REALLY helped my understanding of spoken English, which is nice :)

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
yes, english and hebrew...

also, I'm planning on someday learning one or two more, someday...

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
Gaiseric said:

Or just sign up to be an interpreter, then the military will PAY YOU just to learn a language. And yes, Spanish is available. BUT DON'T PICK FARSI. I can't stress enough how much it sucks to learn.
I'd rather pick up something else(I could just start bugging my friends to teach me some). I mean I know plenty of dudes who speak Spanish in the military. Maybe Manderin or Russian? Something that has a higher potential for having less people to speak it(in the military that is). Probably because they're harder to learn.

Wapox

Feb 4, 2010
English, Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, a bit of German, Some Swedish, some Norwegian, and a snippet of Latin... Yea I know a lot.. and a bit of some more... I'm a mash up of Faroese and Icelandic, lived in Denmark my entire life, learned the other lang's in school or by proximity..