Poll: Do you know more than one language?

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
English, a fair bit of Latin (I have a bit of difficulty speaking it but can read/write/listen to a good deal of it without trouble), a small bit of German (enough to get the gist of most basic statements; it's been 4 years since I actually studied it, though), bare-boned bits of Icelandic and Finnish.

Mace Tulio

Feb 5, 2011
I know bits and pieces of 20 languages, not enough to actually converse in any of those languages, but still, I know a phrase or two.

But I know English and German fluently, I'm also trying to learn Japanese for an upcoming trip. Oh, and I'm Australian.

EDIT:
JacobShaftoe said:
Born and raised in Australia, would love to speak another language, but every time I even overhear someone speaking in a foreign tongue it's closely followed by a bunch of bogans muttering about how "They shoulda learned the language before they fuckin come 'ere". The same guys who holiday in Bali and Thailand, and speak no indonesian or Thai :p
I know this, and I hate this. Why don't people understand that English is actually quite a difficult language? I know I'd rather speak my native tongue among friends in another country, it's just easier. Egh... I just hate bogans, this country isn't that great, why do they feel the need to over-zealously defend it from made-up threats?

Sorry, went off on a tangential rant there.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Wow, I'm surprised so many people know more than one language. Of course, maybe that's just because you didn't add "fluently" to the poll.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Kargathia said:
-Torchedini- said:
Kargathia said:
It's a rather funny question to ask on an international forum. Per definition anyone who doesn't come from one of the English-speaking countries is bilingual.

And to be nice and answer your question:

Fluently: Dutch, English. Dutch being my first.

I can sort of understand: Latin, Old Greek, French, German.

Talk to some Germans and they'll say Dutch is just a version of German ;).
Talk to some linguists and they'll tell you the same =) Would've been helpful though for the Dutch if High German didn't become standard in Germany itself.
You should have quoted the guy who said he speaks Flemish.
Why ? Coz if Dutch is a version of German. Flemish isn't a language at all.

Flemish is just butchered dutch :)
Whether Flemish is an accent or a separate language I'm not too interested in debating.
Well I was :p

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
日本語が分かるって言ってる人が意外と多いんだけどその中に本当に話せる人はどれ位居るのかな? そんなに居ないはずなんだけど

日本に住まないと言語が上達しないぞ

Connor Mulhern

May 28, 2011
I am a native english speaker, and I am from America
Tambien puedo hablar espanol, pero no tiene muchisimo practica. (I also can speak spainish, but I am out of practice)
Ben Rotary International değişim öğrencisiyim olacağım, ben Türkçe öğreniyorum (I am going to be a Rotary International exchange student, so I am learning Turkish)