Poll: Do you know self defense?

Sep 9, 2010
I know american Kempo. And i was taught by a crazy guy who lived in a trailer park. No joke. He often refered to other forms of fighting as ineffective and for losers. True story

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
Icarion said:
I know american Kempo. And i was taught by a crazy guy who lived in a trailer park. No joke. He often refered to other forms of fighting as ineffective and for losers. True story
I thought of your kempo teacher before I realized it was you posting.

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
Yes. I study Krav Maga and I was a Master-At-Arms in the Navy for four years. I've taken down many drunk would-be ass kickers in my day.

One thing I always stress to people when it comes to fighting is that there is never such thing as a fair fight. "Dirty fighting" is the rule, not the exception. Get the idea of the "fair fight" out of your head. Fighting has nothing to do with any sort of honor, pride or courage. Fighting is about winning. You fight to win the fight or you go home.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Kermi said:
Warachia said:
Thyunda said:
smearyllama said:
It's a pretty simple question.
I used to do Tae-Kwon-Do. I was a red-belt two-stripe.
snip.
snip.
I've now completely forgotten what my school was based under. I know it wasn't GTF because I've never heard of it before. Is ITF the one the Olympics use? Because I trained under the other system, WTF. I had a friend who trained under the ITF system and it seemed like her school was more geared towards fitness and tournaments than self defence. I'm not saying she couldn't have defended herself with what she learned, I'm just saying that wasn't the primary focus.
Frankly I think her school was somewhat dodgy. Her instructor didn't seem to report to any kind of higher authority and he kept on making his students all kinds of outrageous promises that he never fulfilled, like arranging exchange programs where his students would be able to train in Korea for 3 months or something like that.

Please note the above is not an indictment of all ITF-based schools... I just remembered all that and kind of started rambling.

Anyway, yeah. Our progression was White > Yellow > Blue Stripe > Blue > Red Stripe > Red > 1 black stripe > 2 black stripes > 3 black stripes > Bo Dan > 1st Dan Black > and so on... up to 9th dan I think.

I know other schools have purple, brown, orange etc. but I'm not familiar with those.

Each step, even if we were only adding a stripe, was considered a seperate grade and you had to perform and pass your grading to be permitted to add the stripe.
schools and teaching vary from instructor to instructor, how they treat their students, I wouldn't know, as well, I don't know if it is the one used in the olympics, and TaeKwon-Do (or at least the main versions) don't have purple, brown, etc. belts. All of the belts are supposed to symbolize something about the world in a colour, and those colours don't fit in with what General Choi chose.

Sometimes as well, the versions can differ depending on what province/state you are in, and in who runs the belts, testing, equipement, etc.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I put grilled cheese, not only because that sounds pretty tasty right now (until I decide to play amnesia and lose my appetite. "HIS JAW HAS FREAKING BEEN TORN OFF! I'M NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE.") Because I was a brown belt with a black stripe. I memorized the most important ones, as I took taekwando (or however you spell it) which was about half self defense and half art. Although my instructor looked exactly like Chuck Norris. I mean, seriously. He had the reddish brown hair, beard, pretty muscular, although his face was a bit less... whatever word you use to describe chuck norris' face.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I know some basic stuff. I was mugged once, so my friend who's taken Kung fu for years and years started to teach me some self-defense. If you grab me, I can make you let me go, and if you throw a punch, I can grab you and throw you down. I'm still kind of hopeless if you've got a weapon, though.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I am going to guess that real world practical self defense is very different from the stuff that 99% of the people on this site claim to know. Facing a thug in an alley armed with a knife and fighting dirty is a lot different than fighting someone on a mat while wearing protective gear and under the supervision of a referee.

BigCat91 said:
I have a fifth degree black belt in gun.
This guy might make it out alive.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
Let me tell you, Bully walks up to me, bully attempts to hurt me, Bully comes home with broken arms, wrists, fingers, and having pain in his crotch.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I'm a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Karate, soon to be 3rd Degree, and for my 3rd degree I'm specializing in Self defense. I'm pretty sure I can handle anything life throws at me.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I've done various martial arts over the years and I've put together a few simple techniques that can get me out of bad situations, although I have only used it once.

I don't like being violent, but if I need to be, I am.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Im a Yellow Belt in Karate
A White Belt in Tai Kwon do
I practice military martial arts (mixed) in 2 clubs
I am going to start Kung Fu next year.

I think its fun.

edit* I also have a 5th degree black-belt in "Gun"

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Hard question for me to answer. On the one hand, I know a lot of things about self-defense. I know where to hit someone to hurt them. I know how to stand balanced. I know how to breathe.

What I don't know is anything formal. I'm looking into finding a Muay Thai or Choi Li Fut teacher if I can, but since one is still taught as a combat art and the other is so immensely obscure, I really need to travel to Thailand or travel to China to actually learn those styles.