Poll: Do you like Halo?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I love this thread.

Here is absolute proof that the hatedom for Halo on these boards is nothing more than a vocal minority. I love it when this happens.

Yeah, I really like it. Very fun in both multiplayer and singleplayer departments. I also really like the art style.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
superbatranger said:
Griphphin said:
I do like Halo. Forge in Reach is just fantastic!
I don't know why, but Forge confuses me. Maybe I'm just not...Forge-y enough.
Forge in H3 was more a test of patience than anything else. Forge in Reach is confusing for a while, but much better once you get the intricacies down. I still can't do a lot of the objectives and the more delicate spawning still escapes me, but as far as map geometry, I've got that down to an art form.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Halo:CE has the distinction of being the first FPS I never bothered to finish. I wouldn't say it was a bad game but it bored me silly. It also had the misfortune of reminding me of Unreal which has the distinction of being the first game I said "fuck it" and finished playing on god mode.

As for the trash talk against it. Two points.

First, any popular game is going to attract a lot of comments from people who genuinely didn't like it. If you've talked smack about Call Of Duty, Bioshock, Half-Life, GTA, etc., then congradulations, you're a "hater". Of course, almost everyone has done this, even if its just your hatred of Justin Bieber.

Secondly, Halo fans are fun to mess with. They seem to exude a certain insecurity I don't see in Half-Life or Call Of Duty fans. Sure their game is insanely popular, sure it gets great reviews, but no one respects video game reviews. And many PC fans (myself included) have taken great delight in informing Halo fans how uninovative the game really is, which I think annoys Halo fans on a primal level, much like Halo fans talking up Halo's innovations annoys us on a primal level, because we can spot all the influences. This isn't to say Halo didn't add it's own wrinkle to the genre, but that's more of a sum of it's parts thing. No part is in and of itself innovative. Halo constantly seems to exist in a place where few give the game it's due. It's critics underestimate it constantly, while it's fans over-estimate it constantly. Whereas the similarly popular Half-Life (9.5 million copies sold) is held in about the esteem it deserves by fans and detractors alike. No one tries to say it was the first FPS with a story or that it pioneered on-line play or the like. It's accomplishment was in forever altering game narrative, which I curse when I'm stuck in a room with two NCPs "advancing" the plot while I hop around in a corner.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
northeast rower said:
Syphous said:
I liked the first one. No idea how it became such a phenomenon though.
It was, as far as I'm aware, the first really successful console shooter. Had great graphics and sound(at the time), enjoyable multiplayer, and it fit what had been a PC-specific genre onto a simple controller. I think that it was the first to do the "carry two weapons" thing. Now think of how many games do that and you can see how far the roots have spread.
Goldeneye. I'm pretty sure it was the best selling FPS until Halo 3.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
No.
I didn't like Halo 3 and ODST in general, Reach's campaign was okay and the online can be okay, but it's too hit and miss to say I actually enjoy the online.

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
goldenheart323 said:
I've only played Halo 1,2,& 3.
I like Halo's story more than anything, but I'm a sucker for mysterious, advanced technology left over from a long gone, highly advanced race. I also love Halo's sticky grenades and human & Covenant tanks.

Halo 1 introduced the Halo universe to us, but its repetitive corridors got boring. The Flood killed the rest of my interest in it. They were just too annoying. I doubt I played half of
northeast rower said:
Syphous said:
It was, as far as I'm aware, the first really successful console shooter. Had great graphics and sound(at the time), enjoyable multiplayer, and it fit what had been a PC-specific genre onto a simple controller. I think that it was the first to do the "carry two weapons" thing. Now think of how many games do that and you can see how far the roots have spread.
GoldenEye 007 on the N64 did everything you mentioned, except possibly for having great graphics. They were fuzzy, (as were all N64 games,) but it did have a smooth frame rate. Halo was the 1st to do all that on the Xbox. Halo did everything GoldenEye did, but did it with next gen graphics & sound, as well as being able to play with even more people over a network. That's probably what made it so popular.
Ah, good point. BUT I don't think that Goldeneye had the two weapons thing, and I know that it didn't have regenerative health, which was popularized by Halo.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I've only played halo 1,2 and 3. So yeah.
I like it. One of the best multiplayer shooters ever(forgetting the community that plays it)
and it's epic space opera story was just good enough to actually keep me interested.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I don't like Halo.

What gets to me is that something that should have become irrelevant at least 5 years ago is still so popular.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
I thought the halo series were great games; progressively getting better with each release.

There are two things in particular that I love in the game:

Sniping in multiplayer.

And running people over in multiplayer.

Of course that's not to say the campaigns weren't fantastic; but these two points really stand out for me.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Is this a hidden hate thread? Giving haters an excuse to rip Halo to shreds? Bah, whatever...

I love Halo. Easily the most enjoyable FPS I've ever played.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
northeast rower said:
Syphous said:
Nope. Turok, Goldeneye, Doom 64, and a bunch of other FPS games came out on console way before Halo.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Yes, I like Halo. The first was the only reason to buy an Xbox for a long, long time. The second was a bit of a let down as I didn't care about multiplayer. The third was a decent enough way to end the trilogy even if the narrative jumped the shark in the second game. ODST was certainly worth my money but the campaign was poorly constructed in terms of encounters as I was expected to face steeper odds than I had in the previous games all while playing as a weaker and slower character. Reach was the best of the series in terms of the campaign and I actually spent a fair (more than a few hours, which is all the previous Halo games earned) amount of time playing online.

I do not think they are the greatest games ever, but each of them has been a quality diversion for a time at least and the games have provided more than their fair share of co-op entertainment.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
I love the story, the first game was epic, the second was okay, the third was meh.
The awesome soundtrack and immersive gameplay combined with cool vehicle sections made the game (the first) worth it.
*Looks at multiplayer section* - No.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Yes, I like it.

It's nowhere near the best game in the world, but it's inoffensive and functional. Approaching Ubisoft standards, but not quite there yet.