Poll: Do you like the British Royal Family?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I think they should name the new baby Shamu since its just a tourist attraction. The reason the royal family exists is because they bring in more in tourism than Britain spends giving them perks. Once the tourism slows down they can be kicked from Buckingham palace and forced to be normal.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
They're better ambassadors than our Prime Minister. I do wish people would stop obsessing over the Royal Baby though.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Kind of "meh", really. They're not particularly important in the grand scheme of things, but I'm opposed to getting rid of them because we can't very well be a United Kingdom with no monarchy, and "United Republic" sounds stupid.
Hazy992 said:
I also find the way people fawn over them over every little thing pathetic and embarrassing. Alistair Stewart from ITV News described William & Kate leaving the hospital 'one of the most remarkable moments I've seen in my forty years of journalism' or words to that effect. That is beyond ridiculous, all they did was walk out of a hospital with their baby, something plenty of couples do in this country every day. I don't care if he's third in line to the throne, there's nothing remarkable about it.
Also, this. Getting really sick and tired of the media hype machine, the only reason people cared about the wedding was because we got a day off.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
How about the I don't care option? why do people always leave that out when there are plenty of people who don't devote any time to these pseudo-celebrity tabloid idiots?
Ah well... not like theres other important stuff to worry about in this world, right?

marksee

Feb 12, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nah, fucking leeches living off taxpayers. Can't believe the Brits are still putting up with them.

EDIT: For the record I hate royalty in general. Did any of you guys catch the news about that idiot Spanish king shooting endangered wildlife in Africa while Spain goes through the worst economic crisis the country has ever suffered, with an unemployment rate of over 20%? Fucking pests, all of them.

They actually bring in 100s of millions more in revenue for the country than they use, they also privately own a large amount of land which is their own income. This by and large creates huge sums of living money for them, however they are extremely good landlords to the tenants charging very fair rates and supporting said tenants regularly. There are some taxes that certain royal avoid, such as Prince Charles with corporation tax, although with the recent scandal with large companies saying they are Irish so pay no tax here the royals actually pay more than they could do.

Sadly the royals are an example of wealth since birth breeding generosity, we currently are considering paying our MPs more just to stop them becoming MORE corrupt. The royal family who are constantly filmed cannot have the luxury of being overtly corrupt and must remain generally good all the time to avoid public outbursts of hatred.

Having seen another post briefly concerning how the British Royals are the only royals and no one internationally bothering with say Spain's royals, this is partly due to the Queen being so popular on a world basis, having been there during WWII she helped many Brits and often says quite sensible and supportive things to do with the commonwealth. Sadly many royals in other countries are simply not nice at times, as pointed out about the Spanish king if that is true. Also the richest woman in Spain in a very strange member of their royalty who hordes her money with dodgy plasic surgery....The British royal fit the part best and act the part of fairly tale royals. This will diminish with the queens death sadly.

neokiva

Jun 14, 2013
personally I don't like the royals they are just figureheads, just for decoration. but i must say i love finding out about the antics of prince philip.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Not British, and I don't dislike the Royal Family.

I more just am sick of people pretending like they're interesting to talk about.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'm American and honestly it kinda angers me with how much the media has been concentrating on them. There are better things in this world for the media to cover and instead they are giving media time to family that just had a baby. It is a baby. It is in no way special or unique. There should be no media coverage of a baby unless said baby is the herald of the apocalypse.

I feel the same way when a politician gets the same treatment, especially at funerals. Oh, this person died yet because he was in a seat of power that somehow makes it newsworthy. The world and society are not going to halt because of a baby being born or someone in a position of power dying.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sure. I don't necessarily care about them but there's just something about the throwback they represent that I do like, especially in the current generation.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Well I didn't vote for them.

Anyways, they seem pretty harmless so far and seem to be pretty popular with people who like the royalty type of thing.
So whatever.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
BlackStar42 said:
Kind of "meh", really. They're not particularly important in the grand scheme of things, but I'm opposed to getting rid of them because we can't very well be a United Kingdom with no monarchy, and "United Republic" sounds stupid.
"The United Republic of the Kingdoms of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland."

At the same time "because it's our name" is a pretty stupid reason to support anything. It would probably change to RGB&NI - "The Republic of Great Britain & Northern Ireland".

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Non-British and i simply don't care about them, they don't get my tax money and they arent that interesting or special to catch my attention.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
I'm Canadian and I like them. I like the tradition that goes along with them. The Queen is like our nice grandma (not quite as keen on Charles). I would certainly much rather have them as non-partisan heads of state than some wanker republican president. (Side note: Republics always seem to be born in blood and killing. Canada went the constitutional monarchy way and everything worked out just fine.) When they visit our armed forces it is a huge morale boost for them. Heck the current government likes them enough that they're putting the name Royal back into things.

Not 100% sure but I think they generate a butload of revenue from their estates and tourism. Pretty sure the taxpayers aren't footing the royal?s bill. MP's on the other hand...

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Abomination said:
BlackStar42 said:
"The United Republic of the Kingdoms of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland."

At the same time "because it's our name" is a pretty stupid reason to support anything. It would probably change to RGB&NI - "The Republic of Great Britain & Northern Ireland".
If it's a choice between privileged aristocrats or President Cameron, then polish my crown and call me a Royalist. Why not compromise and have an elective monarchy?

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
I don't have an opinion about them, because I've never met them, nor heard of anything any of them have ever done. I definitely don't like the way the media worships the royal family, but that doesn't make them bad people, I suppose.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Where's the option for indifference? I don't really give a crap about them or what they do but I understand that they are extremely useful people to have about and we'd be worse off without them.

Note: I am British.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I don't care about them, but they do bring in tourist dollars to those crazy Brits, so they don't exactly hurt.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I think the poll is flawed. There should be two additional options for those that 'don't care'.