Poll: Do you Like Unlocking Characters?

GeneralGrant

Dec 1, 2009
If it's single player it's OK I guess. But in multiplayer there should never be unlockable characters. This is especially true if those unlockable characters are better than the ones you start with.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Can really help a games lifespan when included , i regularly go back to uncharted 2 playing various sections as various different characters , or using a 400odd years old sir francis drake to go deliver a beatdown for the lulz

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
it's a waste of time. unless the characters unlocked at end game are 100% awesome but have no upper hand.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
That was one of the few things I hated about smash bros melee, you had to unlock the stages and characters. DAMMNIT I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO PLAY THROUGH THE CAMPAIGN TO PLAY WITH WHAT I PAID FOR!

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
Douk said:
EDIT: I'm not talking about removing the unlockable content, I'm talking about making it all available form the start. Its not fair that some people get better gear/characters/weapons than me just because I don't feel like grinding.
I thought that way till I first loaded up Tekken 6 and noticed - to my horror - all the characters were available from the get go. I actually felt cheated! Then I discovered the arena in campaign mode and all was right in the universe.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Yep. I remember the feeling of unlocking Mr. Game & Watch in SSBM. That was the feeling of being a God.

Then I realized I sucked with him and went back to my Roy/Marth/Link trio.

Slyde

Apr 15, 2009
Douk said:
Question in title.

I hate it because usually i'm playing with a friend beside me or across the world, so I want to just get online and play. But noo I have to go through some arcade mode to get these characters. Street Fighter 4 is great and all, but damn Seth is so Cheap I don't think I'll ever unlock Akuma or Gouken :/

In racing games (mario kart) unlocking characters is a waste o time, just give me all the skins I can essentially put on the car, don't make me waste time. Games where the characters have little differences between each other just make me mad when I can't play as some of them.

EDIT: I'm not talking about removing the unlockable content, I'm talking about making it all available form the start. Its not fair that some people get better gear/characters/weapons than me just because I don't feel like grinding.
Moan, moan, moan... "its not fair"... Get a grip.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Guitarmasterx7 said:
I dunno. I remember half of the fun of smash bros melee at the time was anticipating what new and exiting character we would unlock next. Now there isn't much of a point because all that shit is up on the internet before the game even comes out. Definitely not if the requirements are like "beat the last boss in 3 seconds with your TV off and no blocking" or anything overly time consuming like "beat the 6 hour game with 30 characters" but if they're relatively easy to unlock, so to say that your average player could unlock all of them with a bit of effort, yeah I like it.
Basically, this. But in a sense, that goes for Achievements, too. Megaman 9 has some of the most ridiculously impossible achievements I've ever seen, especially considering that MM games never have "achievements" before, and the damn game was harder than the final boss on X8...

As for unlocking characters, I like how Sonic Adventure 1 did it. You played through the game normally and stuff got unlocked. In a typical game with hidden stuff, I like to be surprised that I'm unlocking stuff, yet at the same time I also don't want any of "those" moments. The "Guide Dang Its" and the ones where you gotta become "that guy", especially if you're nowhere near that good and can never hope to be that good. Fighting games are fun to unlock stuff in, but annoying when it becomes an exercise in frustration. I think that Tekken 6 handled it fairly well, while Brawl could've done it a bit better. At least have the two guys everyone looked forwards to as part of the beginning cast, if only in multiplayer.

That's another thing. Too many games advertise the hidden crap right on the box or in the manual or on the damn websites. I'd like to NOT know what it is I'm unlocking until I actually play the game, but would still not mind knowing that there's stuff to be unlocked or be given some sorta clue as to what to do.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Hm...

A often surprising in-game addition that allows me to take a new perspective of the game and perhaps enhance it's replay value and overall game time...

Oh no, I hate those...

I also drink acid instead of water and enjoy breathing Mustard Gas

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Slyde said:
Douk said:
Question in title.

I hate it because usually i'm playing with a friend beside me or across the world, so I want to just get online and play. But noo I have to go through some arcade mode to get these characters. Street Fighter 4 is great and all, but damn Seth is so Cheap I don't think I'll ever unlock Akuma or Gouken :/

In racing games (mario kart) unlocking characters is a waste o time, just give me all the skins I can essentially put on the car, don't make me waste time. Games where the characters have little differences between each other just make me mad when I can't play as some of them.

Just because daddy bought you the good weapons doesn't mean I can't complain.

MasterMongoose0

Nov 3, 2009
There needs to be a cheat code to unlock all in fighting games, but otherwise its something for a single player to do.

Captain Schpack

Apr 22, 2009
Depends.

I hate it when the chracrthers are heavily featured in the hype and have to be unlocked. For example, my cousin bought SSBB (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) when it came out (like the day of) and he was PISSED because he couldn't play as Solid Snake. Also, it's bad when it affects the gameplay i.e racers and fighting games

However, it's great in Halo and such where it just makes you dude look snazzy.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
I always saw it as a chore in fighting games, until i picked up the new tekken. I turned it on and "here ya go, play everyone". Oh...ummm thank you tekken..ummm -_- yea i kinda felt cheated.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
I really like unlocking stuff in videogames! Not just characters, but also things like bonus levels or guns, special game modes, cheats, outfits or whatever else they can think of. I just think it's nice to keep getting new things in a game as a reward for completing certain tasks, it adds to replay value. Unlocking characters can also make them feel more special, being able to play as a boss is much more awesome if previously you were only able to fight against him. About this I have the opposite opinion of many other people, I actually definitely prefer games like SSBB where only part of the roster is unlocked when you start the game to games which give you every possible character from the get-go.

Slyde

Apr 15, 2009
Douk said:
Slyde said:
Douk said:
Question in title.

Just because daddy bought you the good weapons doesn't mean I can't complain.
Just because what?! I don't even understand what you're trying to do, whether you were trying to insult me or render my comment useless when I rendered your moaning post a waste of time
I'll say it again... get a grip.