Poll: Do you listen to metal?

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I'm a fan of more progressive metal, a la Between the Buried and Me, Scale the Summit, Protest the Hero, Mastodon, etc. I also listen to the classics like Metallica and Iron Maiden, and I like Insomnium which I think qualifies as melodeath.
I'm just not a fan of non-melodic vocals throughout entire songs, typically. There are exceptions (Meshuggah can be pretty awesome), but I like some melody.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I like all genre's equally, I think. That said, Black Sabbath is one of my favourite bands forever and I want them to come to Australia again cause they kicked ass.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
I don't listen to metal, but I have always enjoyed it when someone else has put it on. A friend's metal band played in a park the other week, the first gig they'd ever done in daylight, and it was great fun, even if the most enthusiastic members of the audience were two children dancing right by the speakers whilst everyone else (all fifteen of us) was at a safe ten-metre distance.

The reason I don't listen isn't really that I don't like it, as I say I've almost always enjoyed what I've heard, but it's more the case that I listen to music in order to relax and often to appreciate its lyrical content. I don't believe there's much metal that can be termed 'relaxing' by most conventional definitions (but correct me if I'm wrong since I most likely am), and in the songs I've heard the lyrics have very rarely been easy to understand since they were often drowned out by the music itself. Furthermore, what songs I have heard seemed -often but not always- to be about demons, monsters, dragons and that kind of thing, which didn't appeal a lot.

So yes, I don't dislike metal but neither do I listen to it.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
San Martin said:
The reason I don't listen isn't really that I don't like it, as I say I've almost always enjoyed what I've heard, but it's more the case that I listen to music in order to relax and often to appreciate its lyrical content. I don't believe there's much metal that can be termed 'relaxing' by most conventional definitions (but correct me if I'm wrong since I most likely am), and in the songs I've heard the lyrics have very rarely been easy to understand since they were often drowned out by the music itself.
I used to go to sleep listening to Metallica, Megadeth and Judas Priest when I was a kid. As far as vocals I prefer clean vocals mostly. If I can't understand the lyrics even after reading along to them while the song plays I am not going to like it most of the time.

I love metal and 95% of all the music I have is Metal. I would call myself a metalhead but I don't follow the subcultures as much. If it sounds good and I enjoy it then I don't really care what part of the metal spectrum it occupies. I like everything from Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rammstein and Fear Factory to Tool, In Flames Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God. My wife got me into Industrial and being in L.A. there are a lot of clubs that play it. I can enjoy other types of music except Rap/Hip Hop and Country. I just don't like the musical style of rap and I grew up forced to listen to country by my family before I was able to buy my own music.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
I like to say i listen to mainstream metal, meaning I like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Moonspell, Sonata Arctica, Immortal etcpp and such bands. That being mainstream because when I see and hear the "500 copies of grunting, triple bass and church burning" stuff my brother listens to I think of my stuff as extremely mainstream ^^

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Why, yes I do good chap - and a variety. This morning's commute was a pleasing combination of old-school Metallica, recent Meshuggah and some comeback-era Machine Head.

I think I was stuck on the 'M's too much.

I listen to a load of other types of music as well (everything except country and rap, loljk), but metal is my main love.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Mostly Hardcore these days but sometimes the lines blur a bit. Throwdown could be considered metal I guess? Hatebreed as well.

My one guilty pleasure that is pure old fashioned metal (I think. not much of a genre nerd. me) is FFDP.

Death Metal hits me in waves. Amon Amarth more than others.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
I listen to a mix of alternative metal, with some heavy thrown in there. SOAD, Pantera, Disturbed, that kind of thing.

...I find the distinctions within the metal genre baffling.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Yeah, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

I also got really tired of all the metalheads claiming metal was the only true music. I used to be like that and it was only when I got into other music and looked back in from the outside that I realised how idiotic it was. Especially when they then turn round and say their favourite band is Avenged Sevenfold or some shit.

Then there are the people who claim a certain metal band isn't metal cos they don't like them or cos they're quite accessible, no matter whether they're actually metal or not. As if the genre is this infallible symbol.

shrekfan246 said:
Elfgore said:
My favorites genres are metalcore, post hardcore,
The reason I don't identify myself as a "metalhead" or anything is because most of the 'purists' will scoff you away if you so much as mention metalcore or post-hardcore because "They're more punk than metal" and they're my two favorite sub-genres as well.
Metalcore is much more metal and punk now anyway.

Torrasque said:
I used to consider myself a metalhead, but when a band I like has 4 different albums that are 4 different kinds of metal, 3 of which I really like but 1 that I don't, it's hard to say "I like this band" because you have to be really specific, "I like this band, but only these albums". Especially when they vary their sound WITHIN the album, "I like this band, but only these albums, and only these songs of these albums". It's irritating to have to explain.
Not to mention you have to sometimes change your opinion of a band as time goes on. For example, Cradle of Filth creates a different sound with every new album they make. Midian is one of my favourite albums of all music and I really like Nymphetamine, but a lot of their other albums bored me after a few listens and others I just can't stand at all. Other bands like Arch Enemy and Nightwish change drastically by changing their singer. Arch Enemy went from "good guitars, but don't really care for the total package" to "wow, I fucking love Arch Enemy!" with the addition of Angela Gossow, while Nightwish went from "THIS SHIT IS SO FUCKING GOOD" to "Man... I miss Tarja :(" with the addition of Anette.

These days, I consider myself someone that enjoys good music and I just know that I like a lot more metal than I do of any other kind of genre of music. I'm also much more critical of metal than any other genre of music /shrug
wtf, that applies to all music but even then there's no need to be so tedious about it. You can say you like part of a band's music and still be a fan, or that you enjoy the "Old" version of the band.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
A thread about metal that doesn't contain Manowar?
Internet, I am disappoint.

OT: I'm a metal head through and through, though I listen to rock as well.
Some of my favourites include Manowar, Black Sabbath, Guns N' Roses and Queen.
captcha: tune in. Good advice, robot overlord.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I listen to almost all type of Metal over there
Power Metal, Mythral Metal, Symphonyc Metal, Gothic Metal, Trash Metal, Black Metal, Nu Metal.... I love Metal ;)

well look at my youtube favorite it give an idea of all i listen... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FLy_KiVliPCpS7PX6uieJp-g&feature=mh_lolz

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Special_Agent_Goodwrench said:
I raise a glass to a fellow Eluveitie fan.

I've been a fan of metal since I was 13. I wouldn't call myself a "metalhead" though, as I've never really was much into the entire subculture. Growing long hair and playing guitar in high school is about as deep as I've ever got into that side. And being extremely passionate about Metallica for a while.

But probably about 85% of the stuff I listen to is metal of various flavours. Folk metal has been my favourite subgenre for... wow, 6 years now. I enjoy most subgenres though, and of course on Saturdays I only listen to Sabbath.

If I were to list my favourite non-classic bands (as of today), it would go something like: Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Equilibrium, Heidevolk. I often listen to Orphaned Land, Blind Guardian and Rootwater.

Now that I'm done stroking my metal e-peen, no thread about metal is complete without Jaldaboath:

EDIT:

King of Asgaard said:
A thread about metal that doesn't contain Manowar?
Internet, I am disappoint.
Manowar has teamed up with Brian Blessed. No eardrums are safe.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
Yes, my metal album of the year is:

Not that i'm picky with my music, but I don't fall in love with a whole lot of Metal bands and I tend to favour bands that I have a personal connection with. I feel like there's so many bands all drawing the same influenced from the same places and everything just sounds the same.

I don't get into a good amount of Grind and Death, I much prefer have more of an emotional connection or music more nature and fantasy based. Toxic aggression and desecration, regardless if its false doesn't appeal to me. I am not an Alpha Male and I don't crave the brutality that metal brings, it just happens to be the most passionate genre and fits my sensibilities better.

I tend to listen to:
Drone and Noise
Funeral/Sludge/Gothic Doom
Atmospheric Black Metal
Post Metal

Feraswondervahnn

Jul 15, 2010
Death Metal is without a doubt my favourite genre. Benediction, Carcass, Death, Kalmah, just everything about Death metal is amazing. Melo-death probably accounts for most of my library, but I have a fair bit of Tech Death and the like as well. I do listen to other metal, I listen to all kinds of metal bar Metalcore, but I think Death Metal without a doubt is my top genre. Either that or Daft Punk :)

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Eh, kinda.

Honestly I'm not all that big on metal. I listen to some here and there, but it's far from my favorite genre. I prefer lighter, more upbeat music, like honestly nu-metal, which tends to get shit on by hardcore metal fans. Most other metal genres just seem so downbeat and gloomy for my taste, and others too operatic and symphonic. It's not that I find them bad or annoying, I just find them mostly boring, and they tend to put me to sleep. I prefer music that makes me dance or at least headbang with a huge grin on my face. Something like Maximum the Hormone would be an example of the kind of metal I like, something catchy, crazy, and upbeat.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I would indeed describe myself as a listener of Metal.
I would fall under the "variety" mass I guess.

I basically listen to anything from The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
to Iniquity,
and somewhere in the middle there will be Primal Fear.
My favourite bands are Annihilator, Anthrax, Armored Saint, Black Sabbath, Edguy, Judas Priest, Avantasia, Monster Magnet, Masterplan and many many others.
I could name more, but that could increase the length of this post to fill an entire page.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I listen to metal but as with 99% of every other genre of music I listen to, I can't classify it for shit. Bands that I like to listen to include...

Black Sabbath (both vocalists who matter)
Cradle of Filth
Dethklok
Detroit Metal City (this band and the last may not be real but they did do songs/albums for their respective shows)
Dying Breed (but only really the song "Fight")
Helloween (who I consider to be a great alternative to the also good...)
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Metallica (up to Load though some Re-Load is alright)
Moi Dix Mois
Seikima II
Slayer
Venom

Then there are a number of songs that I like that I couldn't remember the band who plays those songs...

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
thatonedude11 said:
tsb247 said:
thatonedude11 said:
I noticed you linked to Mercenary. I have to ask, as a fellow Mercenary fan.

How do you feel about the change in their lineup and Rene Pederson's vocals? I actually enjoy their newer stuff, but there are quite a few old-school Mercenary fans who just aren't satisfied without Mikkel and Kral. I heard the two of them ran off to start their own project, Firesoul, but it's been a couple of years and nobody seems to have heard from them.
You know, despite liking them a lot, I only have 3 of their albums (11 Dreams, The Hours That Remain, and very recently Architect of Lies), and I didn't know they changed their vocalist until you mentioned it.

I'm listening to A New Dawn right now, and while the clean vocals are definitely different, it is by no means terrible. I'll have to listen to some more of their newer stuff to get a full opinion. Sorry for a somewhat disappointing answer.
Well, it looks like you have their three best albums anyway. 11 Dreams is arguably their best album, and I have yet to get tired of anything on it, and The Hours that Remain is the album that got me interested in them to begin with.

I've got all of their albums minus First Breath because it's nearly impossible to get a hold of nowadays.

They've released two new albums since Architect of Lies, and I'm fairly pleased with where they have gone, but I find myself missing their old sound at times. I was curious for another opinion. If you find the time, I would recommend checking out Metamorphosis as well.