Poll: Do you listen to metal?

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
I for one, appreciate that there was no inclusion of "nu-metal" in the poll. Because bands in that genre are terrible.

kyomi7502

Jul 29, 2013
I feel ashamed.. I completely forgot about Chthonic and Septic Flesh. I *love* the use of the Erhu in the Chthonic songs.. it makes them so much more poignant. Septic Flesh are some pretty cool dudes.. I saw them live once and talked to them for quite a bit after they all signed my CD :)

I didn't know there was a new Dethalbum.. I need to get that and also the new Chthonic.. god I'm behind...

Edit: One of the bands you *have* to see live is Moonspell.. that show completely blew me away and they weren't even the main act. Seriously, Full Moon Madness played live is soo much better.. especially when the lead vocalist turns around and plays the drums from the outside at the same time as the drummer plays them and it sounds perfect :)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
My answer is YES but I won't answer the poll, I want only a solid yes.
I listen to bands that play Heavier Metal, Power Metal, Folk Metal etc, I don't like labeling and making cathegories, if it's metal it is, with a different sound than the last band, either you like it or not.
Some bands I listen to are: Iron Maiden, Stratovarius, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, WASP, Sabaton etc etc
Pretty varying but I seldom listen to music with growling singing, if that is balck or death metal I don't know...

Panthera

May 10, 2013
Metal is my favourite genre, mainly death, thrash and black metal, with heavy metal a bit behind. Hate most prog and power and folk metal.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
JenSeven said:
Right, came into a thread and made no positive or constructive comment, even claiming this:
TheKasp said:
sadly had my head stuck up my ass that I went almost exclusive metal for some time.
And you bronies keep complaining about others doing the same thing in your brony threads.
A bit hypocritical isn't it?
Except that this thread isn't excluding other people. It's asking "Do you listen to metal?" He gave an answer, and just because he said that he doesn't listen to metal shouldn't exclude him from the conversation. It's not asking for positive or constructive comments, it's asking the question "Do you listen to metal?"

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
VERY rarely.

I probably haven't found the kinds of metal I liked yet, but the ones I did listen to are for the most part stuff I didn't find very enjoyable.

Probably the only metal song I enjoyed was this one if it counts:

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Metal is and always will be my first and true music love. She got me through the tough times of high school and even those awkward few years afterwards. While I do try to listen to a variety of the subgenres I find myself being attracted more towards melody as I age. If I had to say what my favorite subgenre would be it would have to be post-metal or atmospheric sludge metal or whatever the hell you want to call it. Is it on Hydra Head Records? Yes? Then color me interested. I would not be an unhappy man if I was resigned to only listening to ISIS' or Neurosis' discography for the rest of my life, and so far 2013 has produced a couple of really good additions with Vertikial by Cult of Luna and Pelagial by The Ocean, with The Anaesthete by Rosetta coming out tomorrow.

I think I prefer this genre because it really tries to move away from some of the traditional conventions of the genre in ways that I prefer. I love zoning out to multi-layered tracks and long instrumentals, and I love how many of the bands share a common themes of science, exploration, and philosophy. ISIS' own frontman and Hydra Head Records label founder Aaron Turner dubbed it the "thinking man's metal" and while that may be a little pretentious, I do like how many of the bands are trying to expand upon the well treaded subject matter often found in metal lyrics. I mean ISIS' own 2004 album Panopticon was about a theoretical prison system that psychologically fucked with the minds of prisons through constant surveillance. Rosetta's 2005 debut The Galilean Satellites was about traversing through the moons of Jupiter and space travel in general. The Ocean released two albums in 2010 critiquing Christianity in ways beyond "Rarrrrrrrr antichrist I'm going to burn down your Church!"

I dunno, this genre just speaks to me, it's not about being kvlt or brutal or even shows any interest in fashion. I like the subject matter, I like the recording style, and I love the fusion of genres.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
DO I!?!?

From the frostiest tops of the Black-Metal mountains to the blazing fields of the Speed-Metal demons, from the bloodstained pines of the folk-metal tribes to the stormy seas of the Viking Metalheads RIGHT up to Valhalla. FUCK YES I LISTEN TO METAL! \m/

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Don't listen to it. Probably never will. I haven't heard a lot of it but from what I've heard, to me metal is the antithesis of being melodic.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I can listen to any metalgerne with the exception of Nu and most Core stuff, my fave metal gernes being death and doom. That said I can listen to basicly any music gerne (with the exception of hardcore, rap, r&b and pop) but metal is what I listen to the most.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
HoneyVision said:
Don't listen to it. Probably never will. I haven't heard a lot of it but from what I've heard, to me metal is the antithesis of being melodic.
May I suggest one of the greatest guitar players ever?
Joe Satriani with the song Circles.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
JenSeven said:
HoneyVision said:
May I suggest one of the greatest guitar players ever?
Joe Satriani with the song Circles.
This is considered metal?

I can bear that, but I can't enjoy it. My ears are just naturally more inclined to like Soul, Blues, Jazz, RnB and Rap.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
HoneyVision said:
I find this claim.. curious at best. There are plenty of very melodic styles in multiple metal genres. Though how melodic it is you're talking about, I know not. How do you feel about this?

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Eh nah metals not really my thing to many elitists and sub genres just seems to jarring for me to get into and I'm not sure I like the music either lol.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Yes. I suppose by your poll I'd fit in to 'radio metal' (can't say I like that term, it has unfortunate implications) and a bit of 'true metal'.

Metalcore- I'm pretty picky about it because a lot of it is shit, but stuff like Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, Every Time I Die, Rise To Remain, 36 Crazyfists is all good.

Mathcore- The Dillinger Escape Plan, Rolo Tomassi, iwrestledabearonce, Protest The Hero... Probably the oddest stuff I listen to.

Stoner/prog metal stuff- Mastodon, Kylesa, The Melvins

I guess this is likely what you meant by 'radio metal'; popular stuff that I can't be bothered to categorize properly- Lamb of God, Slipknot, Machine Head, Avenged Sevenfold (Yeah, I like them. Bullet For My Valentine are wank though), Deftones

Thrash- Anthrax, Death Angel, Testament, Exodus, Metallica... Not sure how many people will jump down my throat if I put Hatebreed here instead of metalcore, but hey, screw them.

Trad stuff- Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest... The classics.

Basically I tend to dislike more extreme stuff, power metal, black metal, folk metal... It's just bleh, and I really couldn't care for all the moaning about 'real' metal. I can enjoy some stuff as a bit of a laugh, like Amon Amarth, Turisas or Alestorm, but it's not really my thing. I've gotta say that a lot of prog tends to really bore me although I'm not against it totally, Mastodon are fucking incredible and Rolo Tomassi are pretty progressive, although they're mathcore.

EDIT: After reading the thread a bit more, there's a bit more I'd like to say. Notably how ignorant Catbus is on metal, but you get people like that about everything, so yeah, whatever dude. There is a lot of metal that sounds like what he's talking about, but lumping all metal as that is just being ignorant.

Also, the idea of people considering themselves 'metalheads'... Well, personally I consider myself to be one. I do understand that it's a bit weird, but hey, I like it. Metal attracts social outcasts and it's nice to feel a part of something bigger. I like the atmosphere at metal festivals (it's much friendlier than you'd expect), I like being obsessively nerdy about my favourite bands, and metal, moreso than any other music, has genuinely helped me through some rough times. It just covers all the bases- I mean, I love blues too, but I couldn't listen to it in any mood, whereas with metal I can name a list of songs for any mood I might be in.

And listening to any one genre solely is stupid, not just metal. There seems to be this weird misconception that metalheads will only ever listen to metal, and in my experience that just doesn't seem to be true. All my friends are metalheads (and yes, that's a Less Than Jake reference), but we all love a lot of other things too, just not quite as much. One of my friends in particular is the biggest metalhead I've ever met and his second favourite band (after Iron Maiden) is Muse. Most of the more 'TRVE METULZ' metalheads I know are also into orchestral music, jazz or folk music. Just looking at all the metal bands and genres out there shows how wide a music taste metalheads can have- Volbeat take influence from Elvis, The Dillinger Escape Plan take a heavy jazz influence, Deftones are inspired by new-wave and shoegaze... The point is that metal isn't as insular as it has a reputation for.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
ActionDan said:
KZm3YGuJe9s[/MEDIA]
edit: nevermind, didn't see your post on page four about their new album.

I grabbed it first thing this morning and listened to it on my commute to work. Definitely some of their best material with my only real complaint being the kind of bland artwork. I think there should be a law that states only Aaron Turner and Travis Smith get to do album cover artwork.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Oh yes, I listen to metal in many of its forms. Recently been getting into Grindcore bands such as Cephalic Carnage and Napalm Death. I've also been a fan of Death Metal for a long time, older bands like Cannibal Corpse (with Chris Barnes as vocalist, at least) and newer bands such as Brain Drill.
I don't listen exclusively to metal though, don't think I ever could, as I like other genres like Punk and Ska, bits of rap and whatever the hell the newer Enter Shikari stuff falls into...
But the biggest surprise for me musically (again, at least recently) was the discovery of this band:

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I listen to a lot of metal and lot of its subgenres, although generally not the heavier ones.
The genres I generally listen to, with some examples;
-Symphonic Metal(Therion, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil)
-Power Metal(Gamma Ray, Edguy, Rhapsody(of Fire))
-NWOBHM(Saxon, Iron Maiden)
-Melodic Death metal(Amon Amarth, Insomnium)
-Folk Metal(Eluveitie, Korpiklaani)

Speaking of Insomnium, they are fantastic, I just have to link a song.