Poll: Do you people think I'm weird?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I got me as an avatar. Can't see me too clearly thou so no prob, wouldn't mind having something else but I'd have to think so much on which picture to chose in that case -.-

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I've always thought that it was a bit coincided and possibly foolish, but not weird. Lots of people do it.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
LordFish said:
So I've noticed that I appear to be the only person in the internet to have a real picture of me as my avatar... Am I weird? uncool? confident? scary?

Common, What gives?

EDIT

The 'No' answer should read "No, It's nice to put a face to the words" For some reason it wont let me edit it
Finally! A kindred soul!

I thought everybody on this site had Aang or some Pony.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Holy fuck, this is ridiculous. Why can't you just read my damn posts? You knwo where I say " I tend to expect others to be able to do the same,". Ability to ignore it, like I said. I did not say that I expect them to. So why is it so hard for you to read that? I don't get this. It's right there in front of you. I say "able to" and you're seriously trying to use that as proof hat I said I expect them to actually do it? I really have 0 respect for you after this.
I don't even know what we're arguing about any more.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Because you're opposing my claim that people can ignore it with instances of people not ignoring it. That's as much a non sequitur as if I said people can go naked and you gave said "But look, people aren't going naked!"
I never opposed your claim that people can ignore it, I simply opposed the expectation you expressed that most others do.
As a reminder:
Mortai Gravesend said:
If I dislike them or strongly disagree with them I'm going to argue with them just as fiercely. I've certainly done it before. I tend to expect others to be able to do the same, it wasn't hard at all to ignore their looks.
My point is that most others aren't as neutral as you about these things. So when people make a conscious effort to use their own face as an avatar it raises questions in my mind about their motives. That's all I'm saying.

Captcha: talk turkey
Holy fuck, this is ridiculous. Why can't you just read my damn posts? You knwo where I say " I tend to expect others to be able to do the same,". Ability to ignore it, like I said. I did not say that I expect them to. So why is it so hard for you to read that?
Oh Jesus' brother Bob! While I can't speak for everyone, I know that when I argue on a forum I only see the text and not the avatar of the arguer. The avatar serves to identify the user, and I admit to getting annoyed with users who change the bleedy things every week, but I don't argue any differently just because the avatar is sexy!

Your avatar could be a picture of David Tennant and I still will call out your bullshit claim (actually, don't change your avatar to that as a test... as attractive as he is he also has a knack for looking absolutely creepy).

Given the rise of Facebook anonymity has lost its value and I therefore see more people with their own face as their avatar because they are either naive, secure in themselves, or don't care that people know who they are and feel that they have nothing to hide. Outside of that I don't see it as a ploy to manipulate people or a grab for attention, or at least no more of an attention gathering technique as anything else people do on the internet.

Course, my face on the web hasn't change since 2004. Its been upgraded, but its still a curvy black woman with white hair, usually in a ponytail and green eyes. Its a throwback to an old and shit mmo I played where I decided the black skin looked nicer than the white one, and decided to roleplay a drow. I quite like it myself.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
I don't even know what we're arguing about any more.
Right now? Your apparent ability to somehow see me saying "able to" and jump to the conclusion that I am not in fact talking about their capabilities and instead about what they actually do >=/
If that was never your point, than what exactly were you basing your argument on?
I said "some people are prejudiced towards attractive people", and your argument is "people are able to be unprejudiced". How is that a counter-argument? That was never in contention...
Really it was this non-sequitur which sent me off on a tangent.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
You do love to change the words, don't you? You said it was exploitive. I said it wasn't because they can easily avoid acting in a way that gives favor. It didn't exploit anyone because they're perfectly capable of not acting on it. They choose to act on it.
Now you're grasping at straws. You think just because there are people who don't buy in to someone's exploitative tactics, that it's therefore not exploitative? The word "exploitative" is a quality, indicative of intent, not a result of an action. If a girl or guy tries to exploit other people using their attractiveness, failing to do so does not change anything. And being exploited is never a "choice". That's ridiculous.

Unless by "they", you mean the person uploading a picture of themselves (you do love to be obtuse, don't you?). In which case, what do you mean by "acting on it"? I'm talking about people's natural subconscious prejudice towards a pretty face (a widely documented phenomena). Not active flirtation or whatever.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
I am saying that it is transparent and not at all compelling.
Maybe to you and me, but if it was so transparent to everyone else, it wouldn't work in the advertising I cited earlier.

Also, before you start talking about their intent please present your mind reading credentials. Or maybe a shred of proof of their intent.
I'm not a mind-reader, I'm just judgemental. I think you're forgetting that in both this and the other thread, we're arguing about the validity of my opinion, not the factual accuracy of my opinion. I'm not trying to prove that I'm correct, I'm arguing that it's a valid hypothesis. And you're using your own opinion to disprove mine. I hate when people do that, by the way. Which is the main reason I haven't gotten bored. I'm starting to run out of stamina now though.

Their natural subconscious prejudice does not lead to the behavior you described.
What behaviour? All I've described is natural subconscious prejudice; being less likely to get on someone's bad side.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Istvan said:
Neh, though it isn't the safest thing unless your goal is to hide in plain sight.
Pretty sure that's what a lot of people are doing without realising it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
You are neither weird nor original! I myself have an avatar that is me!

PROVE ME WRONG ESCAPIST!!!!!

Also, love how such an innocent seeming thread can devolve into a screaming match. My army of monkey assassins screech less than you people!

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I don't even have pictures of myself on my Facebook.
It's not that I don't think I'm attractive, I'm just sort of plain-looking.
And in a community of video game and anime lovers, it lets me express which specific video game or anime I'm really into at that point in time. Speaking of which, I need to go find a new avatar.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
Well... it's your decision, really. Just make sure to not use your real name in case you accidentally let slip something that you normally wouldn't tell anyone.

I personally prefer home-made avatars, like the one I'm currently using. Half of the time I spent making it was used on the head itself using Terraria. The other half of the time was photoshop, though I had some help from a friend (turns out, that friend is a real wizard w/ photoshop.)