Poll: Do you people think I'm weird?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Of course we think you're weird!

You appear to have an eyepatch, but no parrot or anything to go with it!

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
***** please. Come back here with a high-def video of you molesting a cat that's dressed like Iron Man (who shall be referred to throughout said video as 'Iron Meow') and maybe we'll talk about weird.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
What do you mean "you people"?

... Nah, you aren't weird. Different, but only in the sense that you're different amongst people who are different. So... yeah, no. Not weird.

Jun 16, 2010
If you're ugly, it's awkward.
If you're attractive, it's vain.
It especially annoys me when it's an attractive person doing it on a forum dominated by members of the opposite sex. Then it seems exploitative.

Kind of a no-win situation really.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
James Joseph Emerald said:
If you're ugly, it's awkward.
If you're attractive, it's vain.
It especially annoys me when it's an attractive person doing it on a forum dominated by members of the opposite sex. Then it seems exploitative.

Kind of a no-win situation really.
Exploitative? Wtf? I would hope that we can have higher expectations of people so that we don't consider something so minor as exploiting people. As if they're so witless they'll be exploited by a pretty picture -__-
Ah, c'mon. Most people aren't going to argue as fiercely with a pretty member of the opposite sex as they would normally. Or they'll make a semi-conscious attempt to compensate for their attraction in some way. The point is that it's not as natural as total anonymity.

When I see someone with an avatar of themselves looking hot, it just strikes me as a bid for special attention.

Probably because in my youth I used to hang out on female-dominated fan fiction / role-playing forums and do the exact same thing =P

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Eh, your Avatar's all-right and if you like it then who cares what the rest of the internet says?

The eye-patch is a nice touch.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
I tend to expect others to be able to do the same, it wasn't hard at all to ignore their looks.
I don't mean to imply that's a naive attitude, but that's kind of a naive attitude =P
If that was true, nobody would pay booth babes or sexualise female characters or use half-naked women in advertising (Evony has over 1 million players pretty much entirely due to their half-naked women ads, which caused a massive rise in the popularity of hot women used in banner ads that are irrelevant to the actual game).

I've seen it happen all the time, where hot guys on female-dominated forums can do no wrong (and vice versa of course). Even if it's not their intention, it's an unintended consequence that the person is either a) naively oblivious to, or b) perfectly aware of.
No-win.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
LordFish said:
So I've noticed that I appear to be the only person in the internet to have a real picture of me as my avatar... Am I weird? uncool? confident? scary?

Common, What gives?

EDIT

The 'No' answer should read "No, It's nice to put a face to the words" For some reason it wont let me edit it
I make commercials for a living, so I'm not insecure about my looks, I just like my avatar.

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Bullshit. Doing those things does not indicate an inability to ignore looks in an argument. Try again without such a huge non sequitur.
Doing what things? I was giving examples of how looks affect people's judgement of value. How a pretty face increases the seeming value of the object it's related to. How is that a non-sequitur? Replace video games with forum posts.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
My picture is of an old, washed up, drunk cop that spends most of his time killing people while in mid-air, and you think you are the strange one?

This is the internet. We're all strange and weird, and a picture of yourself as your avatar hardly contributes to that.

No, it's not that weird.

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
i reckon that being wierd is a good thing, Albert Einstein, Isaac Neuton,Thomas Eddison, Mozart etc. all the people who are most memorable for society today are abnormal in some fashion, abnormality is often a way to differentiate yourself from the rest of society.

Datsle

Feb 4, 2009
More real avatars! Huehue

I get confuzzled when i talk to a 32 year old beardy man- through an 13 year old hentai-girl. :>>

Jun 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Because you're opposing my claim that people can ignore it with instances of people not ignoring it. That's as much a non sequitur as if I said people can go naked and you gave said "But look, people aren't going naked!"
I never opposed your claim that people can ignore it, I simply opposed the expectation you expressed that most others do.
As a reminder:
Mortai Gravesend said:
If I dislike them or strongly disagree with them I'm going to argue with them just as fiercely. I've certainly done it before. I tend to expect others to be able to do the same, it wasn't hard at all to ignore their looks.
My point is that most others aren't as neutral as you about these things. So when people make a conscious effort to use their own face as an avatar it raises questions in my mind about their motives. That's all I'm saying.

Captcha: talk turkey