Poll: Do you plan on buying a next gen console?

Lilith

Mythical Zoan
Jul 9, 2012
I currently have a PS3, Vita and have recently invested quite a lot of money in a new gaming PC. The only console I'd even consider would be the PS4 but until I see more from it I'm not sure I'll buy one. The new consoles are trying to hard to be mini PCs and I don't see the relevance when I HAVE a PC that can do everything better.

The only reason I would be tempted to buy a PS4 would be if the range of exclusives games was both extensive and interesting. If not (and I still want a console experience) I can use an HDMI cable and PS3 controller and just play Steam games on my TV.

I hope Sony learn from the current Xbone ridiculousness and focus on giving us what we want; a proper gaming experience and not a TV/Facebook/Music Player/Washing Machine/Teleporter/Photo Viewer.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Might pick up a PS4 down the line for the exclusives and when they release the inevitable "slim" version or whatever it may be, but nothing on release day

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I think I'm going to pick up a PS4. If it's better at playing videos over a network (DLNA) than my current xbox 360 I'll pick one up soon after launch, that and the Bluray player will help consolidate my TV setup regardless of the games.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I'm very hesitant at this stage, especially as I now have a gaming PC that can run any game well at the moment. I voted on the fence though, as I am a long time Sony fan so I'll probably pick one up eventually once there are enough exclusives that I want (so far only Infamous Second Son interests me).

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Yes, though maybe not immediately. I can afford to get one without too much trouble, and, once I'm done with my degree or on break, I'll have a lot more time to devote to gaming, which is something I want to do right now, so chances are that it's going to be a worthwhile investment for me. Although, some news could still be released in the future that would strongly discourage me from buying a PS4 anytime soon - like if none of my digital downloads from the PS3 could be transferred to the new console.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I plan on it, but I'm not sure how early. That'll depend on what games comes out. If MGS5 is a launch game, then I better start saving money

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
I'll probably pool monies with my roommate so we can share a ps4, but I won't be getting it right away simply because I need a car. Can't afford to keep up with upgrading my PC, so the PS4 will have to do. Not getting rid of my PS3, though. I still want to play all of those games.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
As it stands, no I don't. I'm still reeling from the bad taste the Xbone reveal left in my mouth, and I literally have no fucks to give about the PS4. One cannot give any fucks one does not have.

But I'll give the both of them the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait until official reviews and whatnot drop, then I'll decide whether to cop a new console, or just pick up and migrate over to PC gaming.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
alphamalet said:
Well, you're not going to get the best measure for this thing from the Escapist where the majority have freely admitted to being PC gamers. I own a Wii U and plan on buying a PS4 so long as Sony doesn't screw it up. I'm not planning on getting an Xbox One at this point.
I agree. Its a completely scewed demographic. But I'm still curious on the actual numbers anyway

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I'll be getting the PS4 simply because it's the least shitty of the three options and I want to be able to comfortably play next-gen games. And that's the thing PC's can't do well-- comfort.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
redmoretrout said:
Obviously your opinion may change as more information is released. However, with the information available to you now, do you plan on buying a next gen console?
Yup. PS4 for me, thanks.

As much as I like certain PC games, I HATE gaming on a PC. Sure, you now have to install games on consoles, but you never have to worry about whether or not your software is compatible, whether the specs are up to the game, or whether a Kickstarter page refreshing in the background is going to crash your game in the middle of a boss fight (which happened to me today).

Sure, I could buy a gaming computer. But then I have to mess with that gaming computer. I have to keep it nice and make sure it's up to spec to run everything I want to play.

Or I could buy a PS4 and not worry.

So PS4 gets my money.
Amen to that bro. I like gaming on PC but there's just too much frustration. I made the mistake of getting Blood Dragon on Steam (dat sound track) and ran into every single problem inherent to PC gaming. Took forever to install software and stuff and I had to sign up for a fucking U Play account which also meant I couldn't run the game in Big Picture mode. And game booster stopped working right, it suddenly decided that when my laptop closes while connected to a TV it would switch to sleep mode instead of turning off the screen (like it was set to). Needless to say, I was playing it within the next hour while stopping every now and then to tweak the graphics to perfection.

Or I could have bought it for ps3 and pirated the sound track see if I could buy the sound track

NoeL

May 14, 2011
I'll probably get a Wii U sometime down the line once the games start rolling in.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
At the moment, if I was to get one, I'll put it for the PS4. But it usually takes me at least a year or more to get into the 'next gen' console anyway. XB1 can screw itself though, not interested in that at all, their attach on pre-owned games and people with unreliable internet connections is a pretty strong deterrent for me.

If I do want to keep up with the games though, I'm more than happy to use my PC, or even build one for gaming on the TV.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Regarding games, I think it's too early to even guess at the soon-to-come value of the new consoles. Since I have yet to get a PS3 for its wide variety of exclusives, the new consoles have a lot to show to prove value:

PS4 - PS Plus's PS3 games (at least the mainstays) via streaming; that's it, since the conference showed off enough interesting new games.
WiiU - Sonic, Mario, Zelda, and Smash innovating.
XbOne - Somethings along the above lines; I have low hopes for this, considering 360's mediocre set of exclusives.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
Corven said:
I won't be getting the new xbox even if it has the greatest library of exclusives and brand new IP, I don't want to reward shitty anti-consumer business practices.

I'll reserve judgment on the PS4 until they give us more concrete info, but it at least looks promising.
I was going to type a response... but this pretty much sums up my exact feelings in a nutshell.

If the PS4 fails me, well... I finally got a laptop powerful enough to game with.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I never buy next-gen consoles immediately but I might get one later if a bunch of good games come out. Doubtful, though - I'll stick to my PC unless something really good comes around.

Probably not the XBone - that would require microsoft regrowing their brain.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Four pages in and I'll be the first to say that I will definitely be getting a Xbox One. I actually like what they are doing and expect something really big at E3. I also love the new controller, it looks so much more comfortable than the PS4's.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I'll probably buy a PS4 at launch, it it's reasonably priced.

While my old PS3 is still doing it's job as a console/media center, it is time to upgrade soon.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Was interested in the PS4 until I heard there wasn't going to be any backwards compatibility, if memory serves correctly. The Wii-U with SMT x Fire Emblem is the closest thing to my step into the "next gen". I'll just wait years after they release, most likely.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I love modding.

I hate exclusives.

I have a PC that allows me to do more than just play games, stream movies, mess about with software, browse the internet with far more functionality and type quickly.

My PC I bought nearly a year ago is more powerful than the upcoming consoles.

Why would I buy another platform and encourage the business practices that have diverted attention away from what I consider to be better gaming options?