Poll: Do You Play Tabletop RPGs?

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
Jestabobo said:
Ive wanted to give it a go but never found anyone who plays it. Bit of a shame really.
Really? Which RPGs? Depending on which one it is, it's actually not too hard to find games online, I frequent the Wizards of the Coast forums and they have a section that advertises online games, though they are only Wizards ones of course. Other than that, there's a great little place called the Tangled Web that does a lot of DnD and Star Wars.

DreamKing

Aug 14, 2008
I play DnD 4.0 with a group of close knit friends. We also got the Eberron expansion when it came out. It's pretty cool. We also play Munchkin and Star Munchkin sometimes.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Dancingman said:
irefusetoincludenumbersinthisname said:
Yes, I currently play 3.5 D&D, dabble in the Star Wars system, and have some experience with World of Darkness.

I've never tried 4.0 D&D, but only because my gaming group aren't really willing to try it (mostly because we don't like using battle tiles).

...You may want to edit that topic title.
Thanks for the correction, but yeah, how is World of Darkness, I looked at it and was interested by the idea that they had a Victorian setting.
I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it was a nice change from the d20 systems I was used to. Shame the one person who knew the system moved, though... I only played it briefly.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I love to do it when I can get into a group to do it.

I'm currently working on getting into an Exalted Solar game.. hoping to play a sneaky assassin of some sort.

Saris Kai

Oct 5, 2009
I've played D&D 3.5, over the years also of home brew and variant rules ended up used in my campaign setting so when I tried 4th edition it was just to different from our groups play style that we passed it over. As DM I liked that it was faster and easier to write balanced encounters but I still prefer the way magic worked (using a spell points variant instead of vancian casting) 3.5 won out. I've also had experience with WoD, d20 modern and Star Wars SAGA over the years.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Saris Kai said:
I've played D&D 3.5, over the years also of home brew and variant rules ended up used in my campaign setting so when I tried 4th edition it was just to different from our groups play style that we passed it over. As DM I liked that it was faster and easier to write balanced encounters but I still prefer the way magic worked (using a spell points variant instead of vancian casting) 3.5 won out. I've also had experience with WoD, d20 modern and Star Wars SAGA over the years.

Wizards use the Vancian system in 3.5...

Cab00se206

Jul 9, 2008
Me and a few friends play Warhammer 40,000 Inquisitor, but we play it in a very RPG way, using the base rules to create role-playing scenarios and that sort of thing. Awesome!

Woem

May 28, 2009
I started with ADND2E about 10 years ago, and made my way up to 3E, 3.5E and 4E. I also dabbled in Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) and Shadowrun.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
DnD, WoD, Heavy Gear, Hell, a buddy almost talked me into a game of Munchkin once.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Saris Kai said:

they also have a semi-vancian system in 4.0, where they must choose their daily spells each day from a spellbook.. It doesn't have the huge scope of 3.0 and 3.5, but that's because a lot of the old spells have been delegated to rituals, and the daily spells in the spellbook are designated for attack spells (or wizard specific utility spells).

There is definitely room for someone who pines for the old "huge vancian spellcasting system" to rebuild it.. playing a wizard for years in D&D and then playing one in 4.0, I have to say I like it.

fender

Jul 17, 2009
played one for a little bit, but me and my friends just couldn't find the time to keep doing it.

linchowlewy

Nov 27, 2008
I used to run both a Runequest (mongoose) campaign and a Paranoia Campaign. Onfortunately both fell apart. Partly because everyone in the Paranoia games were TOO immature or taking it personally each time they were terminated. Both of them ultimately failed though because the gaming club i used to run it at got a new head and wasn't open regurely. i tried starting up a new runequest campaign away from it but finding regular times was very difficult and there wasn't enough commitment in the players.

I am however looking for a new RPG to play. So if anyone in canberra has an RPG group (can be anything, i'm willing to learn) or is looking for a group give me a PM.

I would love to get into another MRQ campaign though...

ChronoNexus

Aug 5, 2009
OP, you know the majority of posters that give a damn about responding are going to say yes... this poll says nothing.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
I don't think Warhammer/40k count but i play them. I have played one once of the name i could not remember, i think i played knight and my specialty was i could equal the strength of anyone in combat regardless of any items or whatever. I cant remember the name but it was awesome fun.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Saris Kai said:
Flying-Emu said:
I said right in my post I was using a spell points variant... way to read...
Vancian isn't spell points, Vancian is memorizing specific spells to be used each day.