Poll: Do You Play Tabletop RPGs?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
jpoon said:
I used to play RIFTS for years. That game beat D&D by far, IMO. Futuristic high-fantasy with huge power armor, energy weapons, aliens, demons, ghosts and ley-lines?! FUCK YEAH it's a Good game! It's also a hell of a lot less complicated to use than some P&P rule books.
Rifts is less complicated (in terms of rules) because you're pretty much forced to make it all up.

Nothing against the awesome setting of Rifts but those rules can bite me, Kevin Sembeida needs to get a clue and write a REAL rules system one of these days.
What is it exactly that you are forced to make up? From what I remember it was a pretty well fleshed out universe. They gave ideas of quests to run for new users and things weren't so in depth that almost anyone could hop in and understand it in a pretty short time. All stats were right there and were very easy to use, no THACO and all that bullshit. Megadamage was the most difficult thing to understand really and that was cake. I guess when it comes down to DM'ing you did have to come up with some ideas but aren't all P&P games going to require some forethought and creativity to get a good run out of them?

I dunno, I remember really loving the game, the setting just easily was more enjoyable to me than the others I have played, maybe aside from Shadowrun or Paranoia XP (that one takes a lot of creativity though).

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i bought the book for Lord of the Rings RPG, but it was too complicated, i was hoping to buy a begginers guide for some other but never found one in my language, and as i am the only one geek enough i know i am going to have to be the GM, something that leaves me with a little eagerness as to play because most of my friends dont care or dont understand the game

we have spend entire afternoon´s trying to create characters and stuff like that but i always get confused with the book.

know of any rules that are not that hard to understand and my friends can create a character and jump right in to the storie?? i like to write so i know i can make a good storie, pointers you can give me??

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
jpoon said:
Paranoia XP (that one takes a lot of creativity though).
That takes creativity?

Dude, parody any movie, book, story and you have a Paranoia game. Plus, now, you can run it either in a very silly way, or a very serious way. Or you can let the players drive the action, and go wherever they want and do whatever they please. This always generates some sort of insanity that drags them all together to kill them all ... I mean, to create a bigger story.

It's not hard. It's not even really a game that requires creativity. It requires a sense of humor, which maybe is what you meant.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
McClaud said:
jpoon said:
Paranoia XP (that one takes a lot of creativity though).
That takes creativity?

Dude, parody any movie, book, story and you have a Paranoia game. Plus, now, you can run it either in a very silly way, or a very serious way. Or you can let the players drive the action, and go wherever they want and do whatever they please. This always generates some sort of insanity that drags them all together to kill them all ... I mean, to create a bigger story.

It's not hard. It's not even really a game that requires creativity. It requires a sense of humor, which maybe is what you meant.
Yeah, I guess that's more what I was shooting for. Humor is a must... commie!

UberCharlie

Aug 12, 2008
I'm the Dungeon Master. I ran a 4th edition group, but the combat took SO long that we reverted to 3.5. I'm running a D20 Modern campaign that's essentially Fallout set in Detroit.

I'm probably going to start dabbling in an Urban Arcana setting, because everybody wants to be Harry Dresden.

How can you tell that the Apocalypse happened in Detroit?

Nothing changes.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Yup, I'm currently in a group running a D&D 4th Edition campaign, though it's been on hold for a while since the husband and wife duo in our group have just had another baby (and they ordinarily host our sessions).

I've also acquired all the sourcebooks for Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40K Roleplaying) just in case I can convince some folks to play that with me (though I wouldn't consider it a waste of money even if I never play it, as the fluff and artwork is enough of a selling point for me, heh).

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Zedzero said:
Please don't flame, it doesn't make anything better and you probably will be ripped to shreds anyway seeing as Alex_P is a mod.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
DnD 3.5 until I die.

I also occasionally play A Game of Thrones d20 and 2nd Ed. Ad&D.

I can't stand 4th Edition. I tried it once, and it felt more like Diablo than Dungeons and Dragons.

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
I play 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons but, ironically considering the thread title, I've only ever got to play it over the internet due to not being able to find any groups near where I live.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
No - because getting tabletop RPG sets here,in this forsaken place,can be hard -but would want to try.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I played/play all kinds I'm even a GM for the RPGA.

UberCharlie said:
I'm running a D20 Modern campaign that's essentially Fallout set in Detroit.

How can you tell that the Apocalypse happened in Detroit?

Nothing changes.
right now my buddies and I are playing a variation of this

In my GM's version of the apocolypse is basically the I am Legend of 'the Stand' if it took place after we discovered lasers.

of the 5% of humanity remaining 2.5% have morphed into freaky monsters and .5% have helpful weird mutations.

I use a shotgun if I can find ammo. Otherwise I wield a mace made out of rebar and a big chunk of a church gargoyle and a 'slow children playing' sign for a shield.
My guy has gills and night vision. So far the night vision has been way more useful than the gills.

Our party (of 5) just found a semi-functional hovercraft, which is helpful because we're in a diseased part of florida.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I'm a long time veteran... I've played table top RPGs for like 10-13 years... I mostly play Swedish RPGs, but I also like playing NWOD and Call of cthulhu.

geon106

Jul 15, 2009
kommunizt kat said:
MONOPOLY ROCKS! especially when you put others in bankruptcy... do you win when that happens?
I've played online RPG's like WoW. But never tabletop