Poll: Do You Play Tabletop RPGs?

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
I've been gaming since I was 5, so almost 26 years. I've played everything in that time from d&d 1.0 to HOL to Fantasy Champions *shudder* and even the shitty street fighter rpg *sho-ryu-vomit*

These days I'm pretty much limited to a bit of warhammer 40k or necromunda every few weeks, as all my old gaming group are married now (some even have kids, poor bastards).

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I run a 4e D&D game and play in Mage: The Awakening.

Those of you saying it's too weird should give it a shot. Tabletop RPGs can be a lot of fun if you have someone good running it, and they allow more creativity and freedom than you can get from a video game.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
Alex_P said:
Zedzero said:
No, I just feel like a fucking loser, acting like something from a fantasy universe because I can't handle real life.
1. Mod voice: don't troll.

2. "Acting like something from a fantasy universe" doesn't really cover most of what goes on in a tabletop roleplaying game. Oftentimes, people are simple narrating actions -- games go better when you don't bother to make up in-character lines for every single trivial thing. Many people play tabletop RPGs for squad-on-squad tactical wargaming fun in place of or in addition to storytelling / character-immersion fun, too.

3. The idea that people play games because they "can't handle real life" is rather silly when it's coming from someone on a gaming website. I'm pretty sure you realize there are other reasons people pursue entertainment and leisure activities.

4. Also, you forget to use the conditional mood ("I would feel like a fucking loser"), so your statement indicates that you feel like a fucking loser right now. Woops!

-- Alex
Thank you Alex, annoying fellow that was :D.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Oh, I do still run a Paranoia game once a month. Just recently upgraded to Paranoia XP Service Pack 1. It's almost as good as the 2nd edition w*zzzt*

This poster was found guilty of being a commie mutant traitor and so was summarily executed. Criticism of the computer shows unhappiness. Unhappiness is a crime. Happiness is mandatory.

The computer is your friend, citizens. That is all

Mezrev

Apr 4, 2009
So far only D&D 4E, though as soon as the Rogue Trader book arrives from the mail we'll be changing D&D for that.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Plinglebob said:
I used to play World of Darkness, Exalted Aberrant (great superhero game) and D&D 3/3.5 but sadly the GM wasn't very good and so we kept changing games every few weeks because he got into a mood because someone did something unexpected/he was having a bad day/there was a Y in the month. The only reason I don't anymore is the group disbanded and I've since moved and haven't found a new group.

On that note, anyone know a good way to find a new group?
Go to a local comic/gaming shop. Many times, people will put up posts there looking for players to join their group.

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Hell Yeah!
d&d 3.0 and 3.5, Mutants & Masterminds, d20 Modern and some home-made variations
both as D.M and player.

oh, D&D 4.0 is an abomination that should be incinerated and forgotten

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Ursus Astrorum said:
OT: I've played D&D from 2e-4e. I've currently shelved those two for Mouse Guard and World of Darkness, however.
Yes. Mouse Guard RPG (Burning Wheel rules) is the bomb.

I'm presently playing a Mutants and Masterminds campaign, and running a Spycraft campaign.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I used to play RIFTS for years. That game beat D&D by far, IMO. Futuristic high-fantasy with huge power armor, energy weapons, aliens, demons, ghosts and ley-lines?! FUCK YEAH it's a Good game! It's also a hell of a lot less complicated to use than some P&P rule books.

Dentedgod

Jan 17, 2009
I used to love many different pen+paper (DnD, Rifts, Cyberpunk, DC Heroes) and tabletop (Warhammer 40k, Battletech) RPGs but I haven't played many of them in years. I'm 34 and most of us guys who used to play have grown up, gotten jobs, had kids and/or moved away. If I could find a group near me, I'd love to play again but for now I have to satify my urge with computer games.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Used to play Cyberpunk 2020 and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay v1 10-15 years ago.
I also have stacks of RPG books that I've bought but never played, or only played once or twice...Dark Heresey, Aliens, Twilight 2000, Twilight 2013, D&D 2nd Ed, Warhammer Fantasy v2, D20 modern. I find the sourcebooks and such interesting to read even if I don't play them. I'd like to give it a go again but I don't know anyone in my area that would be interested.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I was raised on them.

I'll play nearly anything (not FATAL, obviously), but tend not to be too fond of games of the newer version of d+d and WoD.
Tried lods of homebrews.
My current fave is Demon Hunters (very funny and runs on the same system as Serenity)

zombiekingj

Aug 5, 2009
20 years of dungeons and dragons spanning from 1st edition to 3.5, also play shadowrun ( most complicated game ever )and an old table top game called war gods which I cousin brought home from germany(it plays also like risk and shadowrun) also soon will be getting started on a zombie based game which the name at this time eludes me....................but I encourge gamers every where to try and get involved and grab a twenty sided die

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
im a DM for a 3.5 campaign set in my own world that i created when i started writing some novels a few years ago

i also created a kind of zombie hunting game for my school's DnD group and let them run riot in a lab full of infected humans, it was all very resident evil, even too the point where they killed innocent civilians to get to some infected... ah the fond memories...

so i do some tabletop, but with only 2-3 years experience ive not rolled nearly as many 20s as other people here

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
jpoon said:
I used to play RIFTS for years. That game beat D&D by far, IMO. Futuristic high-fantasy with huge power armor, energy weapons, aliens, demons, ghosts and ley-lines?! FUCK YEAH it's a Good game! It's also a hell of a lot less complicated to use than some P&P rule books.
Rifts is less complicated (in terms of rules) because you're pretty much forced to make it all up.

Nothing against the awesome setting of Rifts but those rules can bite me, Kevin Sembeida needs to get a clue and write a REAL rules system one of these days.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I was looking for a group (to play D&D 4th) before I went to college (a few months ago), but now I don't have much time anymore.

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
I always wanted to try it, but nobody i knew ever played them.
maybe because by the time i was in middle school video games were already the thing and they had rpgs.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Someone should start a thread to locate people to play RPGs/tabletop games.

Basically, you list where you in general terms, and then see if anyone responds to your request. If you find someone, you set a neutral, safe place to meet and possibly play.

Although, I can see that could be somewhat a dangerous proposition with kids on the forum.