Poll: Do you REALLY cry over Games,TV shows?

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Quite often, actually. I'm far more emotional than I may seem initially. Even small heart-warming scenes can set off my water works. It doesn't take a lot to move me. Thankfully, I happen to enjoy a good cry every once in a while; I don't have many emotional outlets in my life, so crying of my own volition can really help me work off some steam.

gLoveofLove

Oct 24, 2011
Absolutely I have, all the time. Although it's strangely selective. Never at video games. TV shows, manga, anime. But only during viewings after the first. I rarely cry at something when its my first time seeing it.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I've welled up a couple of times but I don't think I've ever actually cried.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
All the time. Im a horribly emotional person so anythin remotely sad has me at the very least well up, even if its not a very emotionally impactful scene.

Heck, during Futurama's Game of Tones episode I ended up breakin down, tears, weird breathin, the works at this scene.

Oh god, I watched it and now I'm crying again and my SO is lookin at me funny.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
There are two ways it happens involving entertainment and escapism:

One, I am very happily drunk, and something (often a song, occasionally a movie, rarely a TV show, never a game) tugs my heart-strings at just the right time.

Two, my own stories and arcs, explored and unexplored, about my characters and my group's characters, in Pathfinder/D&D. When that stuff is played right, you can be emotionally linked to those tales...

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
the December King said:
There are two ways it happens involving entertainment and escapism:

One, I am very happily drunk, and something (often a song, occasionally a movie, rarely a TV show, never a game) tugs my heart-strings at just the right time.

Two, my own stories and arcs, explored and unexplored, about my characters and my group's characters, in Pathfinder/D&D. When that stuff is played right, you can be emotionally linked to those tales...
Christ, I once burnt someone out of roleplaying.

We were playing Dark Heresy, a game which is best described as brutal. Not only that, but I prefer to go fully into "The Imperium is not a good place, but it's better than anywhere else". Not only that, but I also made sure that the players knew that the average Inquisitor ends in madness, death or betrayal. Think "1984" mets "Call of Cthulu" and "Mass Effect", and then suck out about 90% of the happiness. This is Imperium of Man. Any happiness they'd find, they'd make themselves.

She was playing a pacifist Sister Hospitallier (a doctor) and she only used her hands to block, grapple, disarm and generally avoid killing. However, once she rolled what we shall describe as "one foul punch" in desperation and killed a man.

Now, for a while, she had been playing two sides of a faction and trying to get them to peace. Eventually, they met, and discovered that she had effectively lied to both sides. They demanded that she pick a side, as the de-facto representative of the Inquisition. The bastard pirates on whose ship they were flying and she was trying to reform, or the slaves who she had been trying to overthrow.

This all happened in the same session. We had been playing for about two years, and this storyline for about eight months.

She burst into tears and left, and said that it was too much and too emotional and she had tried her best. She didn't come back to roleplaying, despite me saying that we can change the storyline to soften the blow. She said the story was fine, but she was out.

On one hand, I'm proud that I was able to make the story engaging enough to affect someone emotionally, because I want my players to get involved (one of the players had committed heretical acts, and after a year of trying to get home to his family, had been caught. Another member of the party had to prove her loyalty by executing him, or the entire party would be seen as renegade) but on the other hand, I never wanted her to feel so burnt out.

I heard a while ago that she returned to a very light hearted D&D campaign, which made me glad.

Now I think about it, my game was basically a Song of Ice and Fire in 40k. No one is safe, and the Nemesis System is in effect. Consequences happen.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Leon Declis said:
A most excellent snip - see above!
Pressure situations make for excellent emotional moments. While I haven't had anyone leave my games because it's too emotional, we have had breaks, usually in the form of light-hearted diversion games (currently: a reworked D20 modern/Pathfinder remix of Palladium's 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', with nary a serious character in sight; and a Pathfinder/old school D&D 3.5 Epic, chaotic-evil mayhem campaign, for pure trouble-making.). It's been 25 years of playing. I've seen, and shared, a lot of emotion.

Sylph_14

Jul 13, 2014
I've cried over books(lots in Steven Erikson's books) and games(I'm STILL not over the Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea 2 ending ;_; ), not so much TV since I don't really watch a lot of it.
Basically, I can get very emotionally invested in fictional characters and bawl when horrible things happen to them.

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
Ryanrulez5 said:
Always hear people talking about how they cried over stuff but me personally I never really cry over anything.... Honest and believe me I have seen the stuff that people consider they ball their eyes out over Example Walking dead, Clannad etc. Inside I basically feel like "Well that's sad" I never really feel the need to cry. What about you? do you actually cry over games/TV shows?
Never over a game, UNTIL I saw the trailer for Kara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0KTUysrwgQ&index=10&list=FLSMZStdeJv6f_yJy4IF9PVA

It's not even a fucking game yet (or ever, in development), but the concept is so horrifying and sad at the same time, I got a bit choked up.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Yes. Right off the top of my head, I can think of two games and one TV show that made me cry:
-The ending of Super Paper Mario. It's stupid, and the twist is easy to see coming, but there's such a sad moment there...
-The trailer of To the Moon. The combination of music and heartwarming scenes always makes me tear up.
-The season 3 finale of The West Wing. "Hallelujah," indeed...

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Ending of both MGS3 and Mother 3 made me depressed and wanting to cry.

Clannad is the only anime to give me a tear

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Yeah, it happens from time to time. Typically requires significant investment in the characters, which (for me) requires believably personalities, motivations, etc.

A couple games that made me cry are FF7 and Mass Effect 3.

Latest movie I cried at was Interstellar, actually. The bit at the end with the old lady just made me tear the hell up. Good narrative finish after some awkward buildup.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Ryanrulez5 said:
Do you actually cry over games/TV shows?
I would say yes, but I guess it depends on what you personally consider crying. I'm generally pretty dehydrated, so I can't often work up the hydration to have, like, tears on my cheeks and snot in my mustache; but take the end of Paper Mario: the Thousand-Year Door, when everyone in the world starts sending their power to Mario. Tears well up and the bottom of my vision gets blurry, my breathing starts to hitch, my throat starts to ache on either side of the windpipe. Nevertheless, despite the lack of facial precipitation, I totally consider that to be crying.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
It takes a lot to make me actually cry. If I see something sad enough then it can have an emotional impact, sure. I get sad or angry if the stories strong. Mass Effect, FF7, and The Last of Us did that. I thought about Elfen Lied for, like, three days after seeing it (though I was still young). But actual tears? Nope.

There was one exception, and only one. Berserk actually pulled it off twice, which is unheard of, I assure you. The first time was after the Eclipse. Griffith is tortured and broken. The band of the hawk is crushed. They all get betrayed by the person they loved the most. The cast is killed. Guts is mutilated. Caska is raped. And every time you think the characters have reached the bottom it

Just

Gets

Worse.

Finally, at the very end, I broke down crying. It was too much. I had to go for a walk afterwards. I should mention that the show didn't pull this off, only the manga, which was so much worse.

The second time was much later, when Schierke saves Guts for the first time. She's scared, but she goes in anyway, and as a result she's the only one who understands what Guts has bee through. It really captures how disturbed he is. But her response is beautiful, and her youthful optimism clashes with his suffering and fury. Have any of you seen the episode of avatar where Katara brings Aang back from the avatar state? It's like that, times 10^1000 power. If I cried the first time because I was sad, then I cried the second time because I was happy. Jesus Berserk, what do you do to me?

vector_zero

Mar 18, 2009
Sylph_14 said:
I've cried over books(lots in Steven Erikson's books) and games(I'm STILL not over the Bioshock Infinite Burial at Sea 2 ending ;_; ), not so much TV since I don't really watch a lot of it.
Basically, I can get very emotionally invested in fictional characters and bawl when horrible things happen to them.
Someone else read Steven Erikson's books? Wow, rather amazed.

On topic: I have, many a times. But I do get over-invested in characters in books, tv, movies or games. That being said, the moment has to written correctly. I've seen so many emotional moments ruined by horrible writing.

Two most recent I can remember would be: Last of Us(The Opening, have a young one of my own so that kinda hit home.) The Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 3 (When you have to stop the train and won't say anything else to spoil it for anyone.)

I know it's fiction but like I said above I really like to get into it. Same reason I scream like a little girl when playing scary games or watching movies. Or going woah, cool in action ones (Etc, etc,).

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Ryanrulez5 said:
Always hear people talking about how they cried over stuff but me personally I never really cry over anything.... Honest and believe me I have seen the stuff that people consider they ball their eyes out over Example Walking dead, Clannad etc. Inside I basically feel like "Well that's sad" I never really feel the need to cry. What about you? do you actually cry over games/TV shows?
I understand that sentiment, I tend towards less visual displays of emotion.
That being said I have cried over video games, bastion for example.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Yup! Particularly during endings or particularly touching moments. I can't watch the final scene of Xenosaga 1 or series finale of Sailor Moon without crying.

There are plenty of others, particularly favorite shows I watch a lot.

I don't sob or anything - I'm not sad, just a little overwhelmed by the artistic beauty. It's more of a misty-eyed, tears running silently down my face kind of crying. I might need a tissue afterwards, though.

I mean, sobbing would interrupt the show/game, and I wouldn't want that.

Spectrix

Oct 20, 2008
Only once and it was at the end of an episode of One Piece

When the Going Merry "died" after saving the crew at Enies Lobby in episode 312, I cried like a baby over a ship.

It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen and the series has come close to making me do it a few other times mostly whenever "We Are!" is used as background music over a sad or happy scene. Grave of the Fireflies is the other thing that's brought me the closest in my adult life.

Other than those, I'm just mostly "Yeah, that's sad" and nothing else.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Never. I remember crying as a child, but other than cutting onions, getting dirt in my eye or some variation of that, i can't remember the last time i cried. Even at my worst points of depression and anxiety i haven't shed a single tear.
The only game in recent memory where i have felt particularly strong emotions was in Mass Effect 3, when all the burning remnants of the quarian fleet come crashing down onto their homeworld, and Tali leaps of a cliff. Although, to be honest, i did laugh about it directly afterwards. Since i was so committed to saving their race, but the second the choice to create true AI came up, i went with it without a second thought due to the philosophical implications of true AI.

Say what you want about the terrible ending, but the journey through Mass Effect 3 was well worth it, in my opinion.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Yep. The ending of Bioshock Infinite got me pretty good, that fucking soundtrack, man.

As for TV, a few deaths and other such emotional scenes from The Walking Dead have gotten me bad, especially since I'm a sympathy crier.