Poll: Do you still pre-order games?

Jacques Joseph

Nov 15, 2012
I never pre-ordered in the first place. (a) I don´t consider the full price of a newly released game adequate to the fun I´m having with the product; (b) I don´t like the approach of hyping up a half-assed game the pre-order philosophy supports.

That being said, a week ago was the first time ever (and probably the last, at least for a long time) I pre-ordered a game, namely The Witcher 3, the idea being that if anyone ever did something in this business to really earn my trust, it is CD Projekt with their Witcher series...

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
I usually do if it's a game I'm REALLY looking forward to. The last game I preordered was Pokemon Omega Ruby. Before that, Destiny. Most of the games I buy though are after release when I can see what the public opinion of the game is.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
I would say preordering works if the game in question is a really on-demand title or a title that will not have a lot of stock in stores.

Fighters like Guilty Gear are one such situation as stores like Gamestop won't normally stock them unless they know that people have some interest in them: ie, preorders.

As such, pre-ordering has merit but only in specific situations

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
No, but I will make an exception for only TWO games:

Persona 5 and VA-11 HALL-A.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Rarely. Only if I have complete faith in the game (because the Japanese version has already been out for 6+ months) and there's a limited edition I really, really, really want. Example: I bought the Tales of Xillia 2 CE. I've been a fan of the series since Tales of Destiny and the CE looked really cool, so I said to myself: just this once.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
'I never pre-ordered in the first place'. I was almost tempted to pre-order Dragon age: Inquisition since it was around 29 ?, but i remembered how the second one turned out and i just spent around 1,1k ? on my new PC so i hesitated and then bought it for 37 ? after launch. Now i'm kinda tempted to pick up The Witcher 3 for 28,67 ? and GTA V for 39,99 ? so i don't waste money later on since i'll buy them anyway.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Sometimes, the only gaming store in my town is a GameStop, and they only get 4 copies of each ninty game + the amount of pre-ordered ones. So if it's a game I know I'll want, then I pre-order. Most likely the next pre-order will be the new Zelda game, not sure about StarFox and Splat00n yet, but those are two alternatives and games I am sure I will buy, if not at launch, then very shortly after.
It is mainly to ensure I get a launch day copy of a game I am sure I will buy.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I would fucking hate to preorder, since it means I'm stuck purchasing it at that particular store, when I could be buying it earlier and/or cheaper at another should the oppertunity arrise. Plus, here in Holland we don't have waiting lines infront of stores whenever a new popular game or console is released, unlike America.

So no, I never do and I never will.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
You see, I grew up in a shitty part of the countryside with one half-arsed game store. If I wanted a game, I had to pre-order.

However, I am finding that more and more, I get burnt for pre-ordering. It's now a case of "Do I trust this developer?"

Konami and Kojima's Metal Gear Solid series? I have always enjoyed them, and I honestly don't see them fucking up so badly I won't enjoy the next one, so consider both Metal Gear Solid 5 AND Silent Hills pre-ordered (plus both Ground Zeroes and P.T. were amazing proofs of concept).
The other game series I will still pre-order is Assassin's Creed, because my grandmother buys them for me and has done so yearly for about 8 years (and the release date is almost always my birthday), and you know what? I always enjoy them as well.
I liked Mass Effect, and I was one of those people who waited in queue for ME3 at 12 at midnight, picked it up, and then played it until completion over the next few days. While I'm just not a DA fan, Mass Effect has always been good for me.
I am also looking at the Witcher 3. They've done very well these past two games, and it's looking good. If they pull this off, I'll be a fan of theirs for a while.

However, the following series has burnt me to the point of no longer pre-ordering:

Final Fantasy: I loved Final Fantasy, I even loved FFXIII and FXIII-2, but FXIII-3 is the first Final Fantasy I cannot finish. I just got to Day 5, realised I was no longer enjoying myself, and quit. I cannot bring myself to continue it, and I look at FFXV with nothing more than boredom. When the old guard left, Final Fantasy was gutted. If the new one doesn't get rave reviews, I probably won't even buy it.
Total War: Another series that I loved, and especially the idea of Rome 2 had me hard, and then it came out and... I got about 20 hours before I stopped playing it. I've now, since the release of the Emperor's Edition, gotten 40 hours on it, and it's... still not good. They're off the pre-order list.
Civilization: Yet another series I have loved, Beyond Earth was utterly bland and boring (if you're in a similar position, Endless Legend is very good and has replaced it for me).

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Usually no, sometimes yes. Especially if there's a package deal. I just preordered Evolve to get a free monster.

My normal buying practice is to wait until there's a Steam sale. For those few console franchises in which I have interest, I either wait for a price drop or try to get them for birthday/Christmas (which tends to be after price drop anyway).

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I have a couple of times, and was satisfied on those occasions. I don't pre-order a game unless I'm sufficiently confident that I'll have some level of fun on it.

Same goes with a Season Pass. I bought Shadow of Mordor on day 1, played for a bit, enjoyed it and decided to go ahead and buy the Season Pass since I enjoyed the product and wanted more of it.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Only with certain games I know will be good, from trusted devs and such. Though that isn't really saying much as I still haven't in years. Think the last one I did pre-order was maybe Skyrim or Halo 4? Think I may have gotten Halo as a gift though, so it has been awhile. Pre-order bonuses used to be a lot better than now, would almost always get some real life loot.

Though a big reason I did pre order was because of the midnight launches. Used to always go with a group of friends and just hang out. Even have won a few nice door prizes before from Gamestop.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Never did, because I don't have the money to buy a new game on the first day. And it is better to wait for the inevitable GOTY edition that comes with the dlc and the publisher would have fixed all the issues by that time.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I only pre-order a game when it fits 2 criteria. I'm quite sure the game will be good, and there is a limited collectors edition.

The last game I pre-ordered was the special edition of Persona Q, cause I wanted that awesome soundtrack and the few other goodies. Been loving the crap out of the game so far. Beyond that, the only other game I pre-orders within the last year was Ys: Memories of Celceta, which had a cool collectors edition.

The only other exception was Hyrule Warriors. Nice thing there was that reviews came out a week before release, so after reading through them, I decided it was worth a full price purchase. Because of the week early review, I got the Twilight Princess DLC.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Certain games I will preorder if:
-The series has shown NO signs of the typical AAA shenanigans (mostly Nintendo games, but this might be revoked due to XY and ORAS getting patches. Yes, this is a strict policy, but it means you actually EARNED my trust)
-Expected rarity (Atlus, Xseed, and Bandai for the most part, but in these "obscure japanese games" cases I'll normally try to hear from people that decided to go the fantranslation route to hear if it's any good)
-Good enough bonuses (physical stuff only. You start putting DLC here, and you violate rule 1)
-The occasional "I will buy this no matter what reviews say because I have to" (however Duke Nukem Forever was one of these, so my qualifiers for this are strict and require more than hype. Prerelease actual gameplay necessary)

Otherwise, you get to wait until the reviews come in before you get my cash.

SunlightHeart

Oct 28, 2014
I pre-order most of my games. What I can afford now may not be something I can afford in 2 or 3 months, so I buy when I have the money.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I have one outstanding pre-order from a couple of years back for Legacy of the Void, but no-- I've been burned once too many on pre-orders. Wasn't recently either; I remember Brink as the most over-hyped set-piece shooter with a pointless gimmick ever and became more and more weary as even games and studios I thought where "safe bets" started publishing linear, trite nonsense or slapping on "features" no one asked for that ruin gameplay. Yes Diablo 3, and you too Old Republic; get in line Crysis 2.

Now I buy everything from the bargain bin; gog or steam sales. I'm spending less, but I buy more games than ever! By then there's plenty of well informed content on the net about the game and if I end up playing a $2 game for 53 minutes that's ok, while a full-price AAA feels terrible to get bored by after not even an hour.... (I really didn't like Deus Ex Human Revolution).

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
No. Not even The Witcher 3, although I am 99% sure they don't fuck up anything.
Wait for Reviews everytime.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I only do with Atlus and NISA games. Those ones tend to be harder to find if you didn't preorder them.