Poll: Do you support evolution?

discrider

Apr 16, 2013
Chromatic Aberration said:
This will get ranty but I feel I need to point out the thing as to why this position in particular is just such an annoying example of what is wrong this whole thing. Apologies for quite possibly offending you, but here's the thing:

Might as well say that there is "propaganda" from both sides and stuff "obfusciating" science when trying to ascertain whether or not evil lizard people control the world or we live in a democratic state. One of those positions is not like the other to the point where everyone who has somehow researched the matter properly says one of those positions is very much bogus. So why on earth would anyone argue differently? I tell you why: because they have a vested emotional interest in getting people to adopt their viewpoint - no matter the cost.
This is not what I observe though.

What I see is properly researched scientific papers popping up on both sides, and whilst I might not have the qualifications to determine the validity of each, those that do have a vested interest on both sides to only promote those articles that fit their world view and disparage those that do not. So either I've got to dig through all the literature before I can accurately weigh up all the options, or I'm going to have to rely on reading both types of literature surveys or what have you and hope they give me a balanced look on things which they obviously will not do.

So no, it's not like your example. There is sensible scientific discussion going on on both sides, but the communication breaks down completely in the middle.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
That's like asking "Hey, man, do you support gravity?"

To which I say "Dude, what?"

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Nah, I prefer to support Coke. It's a much tastier beverage then this 'Evolution' soda. I guess I'm just loyal to the Coke brand, and don't feel like supporting this new beverage that seems to be all the rage of discussion these days.

I guess, it just lacks a certain kick, that the fizzy Coke I have been drinking gives me, but your mileage may vary. At the end of the day, neither one is quite healthy for you, let's face it, soda's bad for your teeth and your waistline, but I just can't pass up a cold Coke on a hot day.

Maybe one day I'll give this "Evolution" soda of yours a try, but right now I think I'll just stick with the ol' red and white. Besides, your hairy ape isn't as appealing as my polar bear.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
I answered i 'support' it. I'm not sure how you can even really argue against it, all the facts are there and are backed up with a plethora of evidence.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
It's not really something you support. It just... is. It doesn't care if you're a moron and don't believe in it.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
What the fuck do you mean "support"? You don't "support" a fact. Grah.

I'm a Catholic, so evolution, yeah.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Do I "support" evolution?

Why yes, I make regular donations whenever I can.
Lightknight said:
I think some people are being a little bit silly about the word "believe". I believe that I exist, I believe that I had cereal for breakfast. Believe isn't faith. You can know facts and not necessarily believe in them. So it's silly to say things like "believe" is a bad term to use. Belief is merely the acceptance of something as true.
Oh I see what's happened here. The OP has edited the thread title.
Now all those posts complaining about the word "believe" are all seemingly off-topic.

Goddammit, I wish OPs wouldn't edit thread titles after a thread is already many pages long.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
If you're looking for an accurate portrayal of society towards this question, this forum isn't the place for it.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Matthew Jabour said:
EDIT 2: Just shut up about the grammar, please. You either support evolution or you don't. The wording doesn't matter.
The word "support" is just as nonsensical in this context as the word "believe".

The word you're looking for is "accept". - "Do you accept evolution?"

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Ponyboy said:
if you don't believe that God created everything, at least come up with something almost plausible, like aliens or something put us here or something.
lolwut?

Is this a poe-post? I honestly cannot tell.

Evolution is more than "almost plausible". It's demonstrable fact.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
discrider said:
What I see is properly researched scientific papers popping up on both sides, and whilst I might not have the qualifications to determine the validity of each, those that do have a vested interest on both sides to only promote those articles that fit their world view and disparage those that do not.
See I know you lack the resources to see what I've seen but this simply isnt true.

The BEST most creationists can do is cite academic papers that suggest links are DIFFERENT than we expected and try to explain this makes them non existent. These academic papers are almost always performed by people who accept evolution. As you saw one of them was pretty angry. He also links to other blogs of researchers whose work has been stolen and lied about. Its quite a common tactic. And its extremely dishonest.

Do you have ANY idea how few creationist papers make it into reputable journals? Its because they literally cannot do the scientific method correctly. Do you see why the belief in creation gets WAY smaller the higher up the academic ladder you look? Let me expand:

In science you NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER start with a conclusion and seek to prove it EVER. Every academic paper should begin with a question or a null hypothesis that sounds like "Is there a causal link between X and Y" or "We assume X and Y have NO relationship" or perhaps "What happens when X and Y interact in setting Z". You then run tests about X and Y. AFTER you finish you look at the results and decide afterwards what the conclusion is. Before hand you make NO attempt to guess.

In creation science you always have the bible at the back of it. So instead of drawing evidence to answer a question what you have is a question that is already "answered" and they are just looking for proof of it. This is a trap that is kinda unique to creationists. Scientists never "look" for proof of anything specifically. They FIND evidence. Then decide if that evidence concludes the same things they previously held. The second you reverse that order the cart is before the horse and youre doing it pretty badly wrong.

Why would biologists have a vested interest? Their desire is to study the world as it is. That doesnt anywhere include the existance of evolution. Creation scientists have their vested interest in the name. Their desire is to find proof for creation. Not to study creation as a whole and draw conclusion, what you have is a personal goal, an agenda is already laid out. Do you know why absolutely NO ONE other than creationists use the term "Darwinists?" We are not attached to our theories. They are tools. Do you love your pencil? If it broke would you keep it? A theory is a tool for understanding. We discard them like trash the moment they become obsolete. Creationists are naturally attached to creation. They have an emotional interest in it being correct. I, and I think i speak for other biologists, appreciate the beauty of evolution but I dont let myself become enamoured with it. Im ready, at the drop of a hat, to discard most concepts to replace them with more accurate ones. Since the fact animals change over time is an extremely well understood fact i dont expect to. But im willing to if i want to further my understanding.

To further give you an idea of this, i have NEVER EVER EVER read a paper on evolution that mentioned creation ONCE. Its not about that so it just isnt mentioned at all. On the flipside every single creation paper ive read is attempting to "attack" evolution and mentions it a lot, often disparagingly. This is a fairly big no no in science. A paper is for presenting evidence not slipping in an agenda.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
discrider said:
Chromatic Aberration said:
This will get ranty but I feel I need to point out the thing as to why this position in particular is just such an annoying example of what is wrong this whole thing. Apologies for quite possibly offending you, but here's the thing:

Might as well say that there is "propaganda" from both sides and stuff "obfusciating" science when trying to ascertain whether or not evil lizard people control the world or we live in a democratic state. One of those positions is not like the other to the point where everyone who has somehow researched the matter properly says one of those positions is very much bogus. So why on earth would anyone argue differently? I tell you why: because they have a vested emotional interest in getting people to adopt their viewpoint - no matter the cost.
This is not what I observe though.

Evolution is supported by active evidence for it. It has been observed in the wild (just think of why you need to vary your bug spray). Bugs which have mutations that allow them to survive the spray end up with an advantage over those that don't, so they reproduce and eventually you end up with bugs which are largely immune.

I am currently on anti-biotics because I'm home sick. My doctor's instructions say finish the course - why? Because bacteria evolve and I don't want to be host to a new bacteria that's resistant to treatment.

With species we fish or hunt for example, certain kinds of salmon are maturing later, and coming in smaller because people fish for the larger ones. Elephants, poaching has meant that their tusks aren't growing quite as big as they used to because hunters wanted those large tusks.

So in real terms if you look around you can see evolution and the consequences of it, and with the massive time scales involved for it you see how the reasoning works. Throw in evidence from genetics, from the fossil record such as it is, from ring species, and it gets just better and better evidence for it.

None of this was aimed against creationism, evolutionary science does not have to disprove creationism. It just has to put across the evidence for evolution. If it doesn't stand on its own, it doesn't stand, if creationism were shown to be complete BS, it would not prove evolution.

Creationists don't have any evidence for creationism. We have seen species evolve, we have never seen one created by a God. So what do creationists do?

They give us bullshit. "Evolution would be terrible if it was true" you don't have to read that article to say its dishonest, because its an appeal to consequences, it it just there to deceive you. I am pretty sure most soldiers would rather not have people shooting at them, their preferences in that matter have no bearing on whether they're in that situation or not.

The attempts to tie Darwin in with history's monsters, are more of the same. Aside from the fact that the monsters in question were closer to Lamarckian views on evolution, and actually banned the teaching of Darwin, it doesn't tell you anything about the truth of whether evolution is real or not.

You get attempts to dismiss evidence for evolution, you get claims of scientific fraud and all of that (and yes, fraud does happen, it tends to get discovered later on and corrected for, but it happens) but never one instance of evidence for creationism. It all just comes down to "We believe it, because our preacher or holy book tells us to."

The nearest they can come to it is the idea of irreducible complexity, which is just an appeal to incredulity. Just because you don't know how how this could have come about naturally doesn't mean it didn't, and it falls very much victim to somebody figuring it out one day. There just isn't anything there for creationism.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Fact: only a small fraction of christian fundamentalists in the US oppose the evolution theory on a "religion vs science" basis. This is not a big deal worldwide, and christians at large accept science normally. Heck, some people even oppose it for other reasons but they are not part of the crassest R vs S argument. Get out of the US more.

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
discrider said:
What I see is properly researched scientific papers popping up on both sides, and whilst I might not have the qualifications to determine the validity of each, those that do have a vested interest on both sides to only promote those articles that fit their world view and disparage those that do not. So either I've got to dig through all the literature before I can accurately weigh up all the options, or I'm going to have to rely on reading both types of literature surveys or what have you and hope they give me a balanced look on things which they obviously will not do.

So no, it's not like your example. There is sensible scientific discussion going on on both sides, but the communication breaks down completely in the middle.
The bold statement is an accusation of fraud. Any scientist who only promotes papers which agree with his conclusions, and disparages those that disagree, should be fired. Careers can be and have been ruined over such actions.

So who exactly are you accusing, and where is your evidence?

paveway

Sep 7, 2011
I really want to know about these so called 'properly researched' papers from the side of non-evolution theory......

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
paveway said:
I really want to know about these so called 'properly researched' papers from the side of non-evolution theory......
How do you research something that you have to rely on faith to believe in? I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's discworld novels, but I don't think researching the wizards magic from the books would be fruitful.

Anyways, other than the proceeding statement, I'm staying out of this. This is one of those conversations where everyone is right, no matter what.

themind

Jan 22, 2012
You cannot choose to believe or disbelieve in a fact... well I suppose you can, but it doesn't alter the fact if you don't believe it.

Evolution is a fact in the same way that gravity or the earth revolving around the sun is a fact. It's immuteble and unalterable.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Matthew Jabour said:
I was searching the other day for a recent poll on how many people believe evolution vs. creationism, but the only ones I could find were over a year old. So I decided to bring the question to you, the Escapist viewers. I probably won't get many people in the 54+ age group, but all polls have some element of bias. So, which do you believe? Feel free to tear each other apart in the comments.

EDIT: All right, maybe believe was the wrong word. How does 'support' sound?

EDIT 2: Just shut up about the grammar, please. You either support evolution or you don't. The wording doesn't matter.
I don't support evolution, there are tons of evidence that support it already.
I also don't believe in evolution.
It just exists, it's a part of life, it doesn't matter whether I believe it or not.
I can say "I don't believe in gravity" but that won't change the fact that it exists.
Evolution is a slow process though and many people don't realize just how slow (and they don't feel like getting to know more about it) so they don't believe it but that's nothing but ignorance on their part.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
discrider said:
What I see is properly researched scientific papers popping up on both sides
Wo-ho-ho, properly researched scientific Creationist papers or just a paper that attempts to rectify a very specific thing according to new data? Because if there is any proper Creationist research out there I'd love to see it, because the stuff you can generally find is pretty amusing but not science.
Like how they again and again attempt to disprove carbon dating (just the carbon one, not radiometric in general, mind) by completely misusing the technique and dating their own asses as 10 billion years old. There's a German doctor of organic chemistry who's published a paper on this that looked fine at first glance (apart from being published in a very dubious journal), but I have to say after reading the conclusions and methods I couldn't help thinking he had to be either offensively fradulent or the worst chemist alive.

So what you see really isn't "properly researched scientific papers popping up on both sides", it's one side scientific papers and the other side the Creationist equivalent of a Lorem Ipsum generator.
That isn't to say certain unclear aspects of standing theories can't be disproven or changed but by now it's hardly going to be in a way that invalidates a whole theory. These "landmark papers" disproving carbon dating or even presenting evidence for a global flood are always, and I say always with the utmost confidence, incredibly incompetent, unsupported and unscientific.

BrassButtons said:
Any scientist who only promotes papers which agree with his conclusions, and disparages those that disagree, should be fired. Careers can be and have been ruined over such actions.
Damn right, this isn't pharmacology!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Jarimir said:
Master of the Skies said:
Shadowstar38 said:
SmokingBomber465 said:
Hey, look, 11 people are wrong! Don't let anyone fool you, there is NO argument against evolution. You are just wrong.

Not believing in evolution is like not believing in gravity.
11 people are not wrong. 11 people simply have beliefs counter to your own.

-

This as why threads like this go to R&P.
Lol, yeah, might as well go up to the professor after you get an answer wrong on an exam and declare "I'm not wrong, I just have beliefs counter to your own!" It'd make as much sense.
One day you will be out of school, and what a teacher or professor thinks will seem less important. People can be wrong about things and get through life just fine. Look at you, you are wrong about needing to be right all of the time.

Did I just cause your world to crumble before you? Sorry about that...
Wrong. A professor or teacher will educate the generation that follows, which will take whatever you make with your life and then attempt to fix it for the betterment of mankind. Which one of these kids from the next generation are gonna make a huge impact? Those who believe in science, who spent their lives studying biology, anatomy, chemistry, etc etc. Those fields require that they reject church doctrine and accept what has been treated as a fact for the last 100 years.

Sorry mate, but the teachers and professors of this world will always be important, I'm just sorry that you have so little interaction with the people who educate your kids and future leaders.