Poll: Do you think it's rude to text in movie theaters?

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I went with yes it's rude, but not rude enough that I would say something to them. As long as it wasn't loud I wouldn't be that distracted. Having said that... what is the point of paying to see a movie if you nose is in a phone.

Kefo

May 19, 2010
Bright screens while distracting dont bother me too much, especially if the sound is off. People talking however is another matter entirely and I have been known to be a evil little bastard in dealing with them.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
No, as long as it's in the very back row with nobody behind them or the very front row where nobody wants to willingly sit. Anywhere else is a solid maybe.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Kakulukia said:
Galliam said:
Theatre seats are designed that you can't really see much in front of you except the screen. Its how they were designed. Keep your eyes on the movie and your phone in the lap on silent and everyone should be fine. If you make an effort to keep your screen from the view of others, they can fuck right off if they have a problem.
It's still a bright light in a dark room. Kind of hard to not see it. If you absolutely need to use your phone, get out.

Cell phone maniacs are annoying everywhere, but those things should not even be allowed inside theatres. And classrooms too, while we're at it.
Just like anything else in a movie theatre, you should just zone it out and watch the movie. There are bright lights lining the stairs in most theatres, but people don't complain, they just ignore them and watch the movie.

I'm not responsible for your good time.

Slangeveld

Jun 1, 2010
Cheeseburgers, most definitely. In fact, seeing the word there made me hunger for one or two so bad that I am going to buy a few of them in say, 4 hours. (when the shops open o.0) Can't wait.

Does it disturb? Then yes. It doesn't? Then no. If its silent, and the movie is good, I see no reason why you would even notice it.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
YES, turn your fucking phone off. The thing about being in the dark is that it allows for better immersion into the movie. When you catch a light in your periphery, it takes you out of the whole thing. You're at the movies... turn your phone off and catch up with the world later. Besides, you probably tweeted about it, so the world knows what you're doing, anyway. The only thing worse is when you leave your ringer on and actually have the balls to answer the call as opposed to silencing it. Don't look at me like I'M an asshole for hucking a wet gummy bear at your head.

...not YOU, but people. People who do that.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
It's as rude to the people around you as talking. The thing's bright, and it's distracting. I didn't pay to be distracted by someone texting something that just couldn't wait. If it can't wait, leave the goddamn cinema.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I went to the movies today, and they specifically said not to text during the movie right before the trailers started.

I doubt it would really bother me unless they were making too much noise through texting.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
As long as it is not annoying any of the other people trying to watch the film than I see no problem with it.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I do have an issue with texting, considering that you are doing something that is disrespectful to the surrounding audience having to deal with your inability to shut your phone off.

I do have a cell phone, and I do text, but texting is reserved when you have nothing else to do, and for me, I don't text during movies. Even though the theater in town does not enforce shutting off your cell phone, I turn my phone down to mute, and then I shut mine off. Even when the movie is Meet the Spartans, (and trust me, you don't want to know why I saw that one again) I shut my phone off. Why? Because as bad as it might have been, It would be disrespectful to somebody else who payed money to watch this movie thinking it might be good.

Suicidal_Ferret

Aug 9, 2010
I usually text during the previews and maybe once or twice during the movie. Usually to reply to unexpected texts during the movie from people that were unaware I was in the movie, to say "I'm in a movie, text you later."

Doesn't happen often though.

Sep 14, 2009
Radeonx said:
As long as it doesn't make noise, I don't care that much.
The bright screen can be a little distracting, but it isn't that big of a deal overall.
this, as long as they do it maybe once or twice i don't mind, but if they are sitting the whole movie i might troll on em a bit, but if they sit there talking on the damn thing? (i've had people do this before, fucking annoying as shit) then you bet your ass i'm going to get in there face to get out of the theater

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I'm a teenager, so I think my stance is obvious.

But I try to avoid using my phone when possible. I just feel like I'm being glared it whenever I pull it out in public.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
It is against the establishments rules to text during the movie. Walking into an establishment and ignoring its rules is inherently disrespectful/rude.

Also its distracting.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
YES!!! it is very rude! even if its on silent the glow of the screen is incredibly distracting!
also, people who clap, don't!