Poll: Do you think it's rude to text in movie theaters?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
It's pretty rude most of the time, especially if (which it mostly does) it goes on through a fucking conversation that lasts 3/4 of the damn film.

HOWEVA.....if there's only like 3 people in the theater and it's a movie that's been out for a little bit I tend not to be so much against it, as I've been guilty of it myself once or twice

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
Been a while since I've been at the movies, but I don't think texting is all that rude. Better that then talking. Or worse - narrating.

invadergir

May 29, 2008
I laugh at the posts that say "if it doesn't bother me, I don't care". That's as selfish as the people who think its okay to text in a movie in the first place. The point is, it is bothering someone, so its never okay.

Maybe its just a generational thing, but to me, the instant communication seems to have gotten out of control. I notice people talking on their cellphones at the table in a restaurant. What is so damn important that it cant wait for an hour?

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
me and my friends sit at the front of the theatre just behind a metal bar(footrest ftw) so if people we don't know are texting it doesn't bother us....also we text all on occasion during the movie so I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was rude or that it bothered me

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I voted cheeseburger but in all seriousness with no sound or anything I wouldn't call it rude, but with that said I still wouldn't do it, I don't go to a movie theatre to text people, it breaks the flow of the movie, I don't like it, (with that said I went to see "Grown Ups" in a theatre and my friend and I were literally the only ones there, so I called someone during the trailer telling you not to talk on the phone and started talking loudly just for shits & giggles)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Let's just say that there's a circle of hell where people who use their phone during a movie will go to.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Some ***** in front of me was texting during the midnight premier of Inception. Really? You go to the midnight premier of an awesome movie like Inception and you fucking text during the entire movie? Please take it outside, I'm trying to watch the movie you selfish, ignorant person.
/rant

That felt good.

freak__76

Feb 11, 2009
still surprised they haven't implemented mobile jammers at movie theatres. would solve so many problems. anyone found using their mobile would then be using it to record the movie, and be prosecuted by law...

now if they'd just devise an "obnoxious group of chattering twonks" jammer as well...

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Its almost as annoying as a parent bringing their toddler to watch an R rated movie. Almost.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Texting? No.

Talking? Yes.

Mind you, sending more than one text is just stupid. If someone texts you, the response should be along the lines of "in a movie, talk later".

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
It is one of those things that is not black and white if I had to decide one way or the other then I would say yes, because there is a good chance you are bothering someone else who paid money to see something you're not apparently interested in seeing. It would be just as annoying as if someone was sitting in the theater flipping a flashlight on and off...oddly enough I have seen that.

Really though if you can't stay off your phone for about and hour and half to two hours then you have some major social issues and need to get that checked.

There are really only a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head for someone to have their phone out. Anyone please feel free to add to this. Mainly any type of emergency such as you're on a list for a kidney or something, you're a parent and the babysitter has texted that there is an emergency etc those kind of things. But you are still able to get up and step out for a quick second and reply or call back.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
It only annoys me if I can hear it or see it. When I went to see thor someone in the theater fell asleep and was snoring that was much more annoying. I do think you should turn off the phone if for nothing else then...you paid at least 9-11 bucks for this movie...PAY ATTENTION!

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
UberNoodle said:
It's sad that this thread exists. There's no empathy anymore. The 'Me-I-my' generation have taken over.
There's a difference between being selfish and having some respect and politeness to your fellow constituents, who do you think is being more selfish the guy texting distracting other people from the one time experience they paid for or the person who finally tells him to turn his damn phone off.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
It doesn't matter whether you're talking or texting, just the screen brightening up is rude.

Ooga600

Mar 27, 2011
If they would rather text than watch the movie then I would prefer that they just leave the theater