Poll: Do you think Skyrim has to much hype?

telocaster

Aug 12, 2011
First i want to say that i am looking forward to skyrim. I think to many people are going crazy over it and could potentially set themselves up for disappointment. what do you guys think?

EDIT: Being able to play as lizard people is awesome

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Yes. It looks like a slightly better version of Oblivion, which, quite frankly, was mediocre at best.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
No, I don't think there's too much hype. I'm excited about it, sure, and I love those kind of games so I'm pretty much willing to except a certain amount of flaws underneath the stuff that's amazing.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I think it has about as much hype as a normal AAA title should. Which is a lot. I'm more excited for WH40K: Space Marine than I am for Skyrim, and that has gotten almost no hype.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Oh look,it's this thread again.

If it gets this much of hype then it deservse it.

Dec 27, 2010
Of course, anything that generates so much pre-emptive praise is clearly overhyped (you can add DE3 to that list). But the irony is that the people who're practically spamming this site with Skyrim related posts/ threads are going to be the ones complaining about it being a dumbed down, snowier version of Oblivion, while I'll be silently enjoying it or trying to calm down (ex-)fans who seem to be on the verge of exploding with disappointment (and, yes, I thought Oblivion was better than Morrowind).

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Any game have too much hype, even something as low-brow as Shadows of the Damned. It's up to you, the consumer, whether or not you want to give in to it.

weker

May 27, 2009

Yer this is kinda how the fan base is acting atm.
The hype does seem much but there will only be a few that it will effect negatively. They will use the hype as an excuse for it being popular when they thinks its bad.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

Does it matter?

Although I am kinda dreading the flood of forum threads. "OMG! Favourite spell in Skyrim?"

Heh. I guess I'll finally know what it's like to be someone on the Escapist who doesn't like Mass Effect.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Radeonx said:
Yes. It looks like a slightly better version of Oblivion, which, quite frankly, was mediocre at best.
Swny Nerdgasm said:
I am not a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and am tired as hell of hearing about it
weker said:

Yer this is kinda how the fan base is acting atm.
The hype does seem much but there will only be a few that it will effect negatively. They will use the hype as an excuse for it being popular when they thinks its bad.
Pretty much these. I didn't like Oblivion that much, some people are OTT with it and to be honest I'm getting to the point where it's getting on my nerves.

weker

May 27, 2009
StBishop said:
Pretty much these. I didn't like Oblivion that much, some people are OTT with it and to be honest I'm getting to the point where it's getting on my nerves.
Agreed on Oblivion it was set in an over used fantasy world lacking the creativity of morrowind.on top of that the characters were ugly to a deformed degree.
The northern world seems to be more interesting and the changes their making good.

JamieK09

Nov 25, 2009
I have a question about the dual-wielding system. Does it mean I can make a left handed character? As in sword in left hand shield in right?

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Yes. This is kind of Bethesda's MO. I congratulate anyone who has noticed on their use of pattern recognition.... it's one of the biggest reasons why early humans didn't get nommed right off the food chain. Bethesda overhype the shit out of their mediocre games with putrid, putrid cores in hopes to get as many sales as they possibly can. Oblivion was overhyped, FO3 was overhyped, and both were pretty bad games honestly.

I loved Morrowind, but come on: once you strip off the pretty landscapes and huge sandbox, all of Bethesda's games are pretty fucking rotten. How "good" a Bethesda game really depends on how long it takes all the pretty veneer and gilding to rub off and for you to finally see the terrible, terrible underlying game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of Oblivion, but I always loved what it tried to do. Skyrim seems to fix everything I really didn't like about Oblivion, so I'm pretty stoked for it.
JamieK09 said:
I have a question about the dual-wielding system. Does it mean I can make a left handed character? As in sword in left hand shield in right?
As far as I know, yes.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
Being a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and since Oblivion is my favorite game ever, I think it's receiving the proper amount of hype.