Poll: Do you think Skyrim has to much hype?

LegionDre

Sep 2, 2010
The Hype is just at the right amount right now. We are inching closer to release and the river of information is steady enough to keep you looking forward to it, and shallow enough so you don't get overwhelmed with information.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
What an obvious typo. You clearly must have meant "Do you think Skyrim has to munch hype"; 'much' simply cannot be used as a verb.

But it's actually an interesting question. Skyrim is still a pretty good ways out, but so far, most of the buzz surrounding the game has been produced by the series' own reputation and familiarity with gamers. The studio themselves hasn't, so far, gone on any great marketing bent like a lot of other AAA titles like to do, but it still has managed to become one of the most anticipated titles of the near future.

So, to answer your question, yes, I think Skyrim will simply have to 'munch' its own hype, as it were; hype is always a double-edged sword, but Bethesda seems pretty confident so far that they can live up to the gamers' expectations, so rather than downplay it or try and artificially add to it and risk messing up a good thing, the people at Bethesda would be wisest to simply feed off of the natural anticipation their previous installments and current development news has blessed them with.

Or, as the OP might put it, to simply 'much [sic] it down.' A rather thoughtful perspective; thanks, OP!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Radeonx said:
Yes. It looks like a slightly better version of Oblivion, which, quite frankly, was mediocre at best.
Your opinion is mediocre a best.
OT: No it will be the awesome and probably win a few GOTY awards.
Why will it do this? Because Bethesda's last 3 games were all GOTY caliber.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Not enough hype. Just because you or some others won't like it, doesn't mean most won't love it. And most will.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Yes, and I'm sick of hearing about it. It will never live up to it, and after it is released the rest of the year will be fanboys in love with it arguing with irate fanboys that say "they changed too much". Oblivion was way too boring of a game for me to get into...

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Compared to what? Guild Wars 2? No. Its not.
Compared to End of Nations? Yes. Frigging nerds.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
From what I've read up until now they seem to be trying to "improve" on Oblivion rather than improve on Morrowind which is a bad thing. Plus the fact that they're considering randomly generated quests as innovative astounds me. Either way, the game is going to be shit but the brand is enough to garner Bethesda a few millions.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Meh, you could ask the exact same question about any big release.

Just like those other big releases, it's because they're the next game in one of gaming's most well known series.
Personally I think it deserves the hype it's getting. It's easily the biggest graphical, artistic and gameplay improvement the series has taken since it was created all those years ago. Some people may not like it, but it's been streamlined more than it's ever been before, taking out all the bits that, when it really comes down to it, are fairly arbitrary and that don't add much, if anything to the game, whilst smoothing out everything that has really demanded smoothing.

If you can't tell, I'm excited.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Yes.. They dropped the ball with Oblivion and will have alot to do IMO to get the Elder Scrolls series back on track.

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
JamieK09 said:
I have a question about the dual-wielding system. Does it mean I can make a left handed character? As in sword in left hand shield in right?
Yes, you can even have a Shield in the left and in the right. You can dual-wield them.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Not at all, this and Deus Ex are my two most anticipated games this year, and from the looks are deserving it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Way too much hype; sometimes to the point where it's embarrassing to watch. But what are we to do? It's the job of marketing to turn Potential Customers into mindless Hype-Sheep/Fanboys; historically, the most effective form of advertisement is Word of Mouth.

I mean, who is more credible? A random online/TV advertisement, or your friends?

Fortunately for Bethesda, they also have a lot of fanboy sheep to do their work for them online; and all of that free advertising will nab them a strong GOTY shot without a hitch (whether they deserve it or not).

This process doesn't apply just to Bethesda; any popular developer or series has gone through this.

Aug 17, 2009
Please, for the love of God fix the title. It's like this niggling little voice in the back of my head telling me this thread isn't as thread-y as I think it is.

On topic, no, with Bethesda's track record Skyrim can't possibly be over-hyped.

MetallicaRulez0 said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
I am not a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and am tired as hell of hearing about it
Took the words out of my mouth. Every video I've seen of this game looks bland and ordinary. Someone convince me this game is going to be better than the rest of Bethesda's awful catalog.
I'm interested as to why you think their catalog is awful, as opposed to just something that's not up your alley.

Also, cocks.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Swny Nerdgasm said:
I am not a fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and am tired as hell of hearing about it
Took the words out of my mouth. Every video I've seen of this game looks bland and ordinary. Someone convince me this game is going to be better than the rest of Bethesda's awful catalog.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
How can you judge if something has too much hype. The game isn't out yet therefore you can't really judge whether it has too much hype after the game comes out.
Personally I'm really looking forward to it, I really enjoyed oblivion and I hope skyrim will improve on that.