Poll: Do you use a 12 or 24 hour clock?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
JoJo said:
I use a mix of both, my primary timekeeper is my phone which I have programmed to keep 24 hour time. But, I exclusively think in 12 hour time, every time I read a 24 hour clock I convert it back without even thinking about it. Didn't realise until I showed someone who asked me the time my phone and they were confused by the 24 hour format.
Sound a lot like what I do.

12 hour for wristwatch, daily speak and such.
24 hour for writing the time, on PC and mobile devices.

Baffle said:
I assumed that even those using a 24-hour clock would convert when they speak - surprised to see a few who don't. I personally think "The time is quarter to fourteen" sounds a bit strange.
Indeed.
When the time reads 17.15 I automatically think quarter past five.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
12 hour clock. I'm comfortable with 24 hour time but no one I know is so I use 12 hour time for convenience. it's pretty near interchangeable for me

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I try to set all of my clocks to 24 hour time. As I am still a basement dwelling grue who can't shake off the insomnia and random sleep cycles of a job from over 2 years ago,[footnote]Also, daylight savings time screws up my perception of what light level it should be at a certain time. So, if I can't see the orange of the sunset, I need a 24 hour clock, or 12 hour with AM/PM to know exactly how far past morning it is.[/footnote] I like having more than a hard to read letter or a tiny dot designate which part of the day I just found myself in after passing out. Also, every alarm clock sold in the US (at least in meatspace stores) is a 12 hour clock, and it is random how they display AM and PM (a dot for one, but no dot for the other - just displaying "AM" and vice versa, switching between AM and PM). Getting used to a new style is a pain. At least with 24 hour alarm clocks (like on ye olde smarte phone), there is less chance of setting the alarm incorrectly by 12 hours.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I prefer 24 hour clocks, but I have an analogue watch, and my alarm clock is 12 hour, so I use both pretty much interchangeably

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
What a strange question...

I dunno, I use 24 hours. My computer and phone both update automatically and they were already set in 24 hours, so I didn't feel like changing it.

Plus knowing me if it was in 12 hour, I'd probably not know whether it was morning or evening.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
24 hours, 1 second. Synchronised to UTC, no matter where on Earth I am.

I like my clocks precise.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Twelve hours. It's just easier. And the only real downside is the absurdity of people claiming that noon is at 12 pm, meaning that not only is time capable of traveling through itself, it's capable of being in two (chronological) places at once. You have twelve N and twelve M; everything else is relative to that.

madwarper said:
There is only the 24 clock. And, the correct way to write today's date is 20150210.
Wrong on both counts. There is also the twelve hour clock; try and build a 24-hour sundial if you disagree. And the correct way to write today's date is "February 11th, 2015".

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Recusant said:
Wrong on both counts. There is also the twelve hour clock; try and build a 24-hour sundial if you disagree.
A 12 hour sundial is only going to work for only part of the year. And which part may even depend on your location. Therefore, by your own logic, it's not a good time measurement technology. Which I think the world also believes, because I think that's why we developed this novel way of measuring time that's not based on the sun. When was that done...oh, few centuries ago or so.

Recusant said:
And the correct way to write today's date is "February 11th, 2015".

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I used 24 hours almost exclusively for years, and even after all that time, whenever I'd look at, say, "17:00", I would mentally translate that to "5:00pm", so I eventually I just gave up on the whole endeavor.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
For anything typed or written I use the 24 hour clock. If I'm telling someone the time I use the 12 hour one.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Both work fine for me, but since I mostly rely on the clock that my laptop and phone display I use the AM/PM thingy.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
my electronics are all 24 hour, and will be set that way if they aren't. My watch is (obviously) 12 hour, and I genuinely actually use it. I will usually, when saying a time, say it in 12 hour (and just add "in the afternoon", though usually do you want to go out at 11 is unambiguous enough within the context of a conversation), but I can and will be clearer if it's needed. I have no difficulty switching between the two (unless I think about it too hard, and then my dyslexic brain will sometimes do weird things)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
At The time of writing it is now: 2015-02-11 19:34:12:55

Twothousandfifteen O'Two Eleven Nineteen:Thirtyfour Twelve Fiftyfive.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
depends on what i'm doing. flying a plane is done using the 24 hour clock, for personal use I'm kind of haphazars, but I think almost all the clocks on my devices are set to 24 hour time, so... Probably that.

I also prefer to write dates as year-month-day wherever possible. Much more sensible. XD

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
DoPo said:
Recusant said:
Wrong on both counts. There is also the twelve hour clock; try and build a 24-hour sundial if you disagree.
A 12 hour sundial is only going to work for only part of the year. And which part may even depend on your location. Therefore, by your own logic, it's not a good time measurement technology. Which I think the world also believes, because I think that's why we developed this novel way of measuring time that's not based on the sun. When was that done...oh, few centuries ago or so.
Don't forget location; in parts of the world, it's not going to work at all. A 24-hour sundial, however, wouldn't work at all anywhere on Earth. I didn't say it was a perfect method; merely that it was a better one. And while a method of measuring time that's not based on the sun would be great, we don't have one. Hours, days, and years are still measured based on the position of the sun relative to the earth;

DoPo said:
Recusant said:
Recusant said:
I have exactly as much authority to dictate the actions of others as some schlub with a webcomic does. Having a larger audience confers neither legal nor moral authority.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Recusant said:
DoPo said:
Recusant said:
Don't forget location; in parts of the world, it's not going to work at all.
Yes, duly noted - I went back in time to address that issue for you.

Recusant said:
A 24-hour sundial, however, wouldn't work at all anywhere on Earth. I didn't say it was a perfect method; merely that it was a better one.
How is a sundial better than...well, anything more advanced than it. Which is anything that human race has used for the past several centuries.

Recusant said:
And while a method of measuring time that's not based on the sun would be great, we don't have one. Hours, days, and years are still measured based on the position of the sun relative to the earth;
Yes, but not by LITERALLY directly measuring the sun. With a friggin sundial. Which, as I pointed out, nobody actually uses as a time measuring device. Your entire argument of "sundial - 12 hours" is so incredibly mind boggling, the thought you are actually sticking to it, I still have trouble processing logically. WHY? What sense does this make at all? Are you going to denounce internal combustion because actual horses exist and are still able to pull carriages?

Recusant said:
DoPo said:
Recusant said:
Recusant said:
I have exactly as much authority to dictate the actions of others as some schlub with a webcomic does. Having a larger audience confers neither legal nor moral authority.
[Joke]
[your head]

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I'm Swedish, so 24-hour?

I mean, I KNOW both of course, and most wall clocks are 12-hour ones. But when you make appointments, check tv listings, etc, most is written in 24-hour mode. If someone asks you the time you reply with the 12-hour clock, although I have to double check and ask if they mean (for example) 15:30 or 14:30; "It's half-three" means 14:30 when said in Swedish. I tend to use the 24-hour clock even when talking aloud just to make sure they know what I mean, even though I'm basically the only person I know who has this problem.

I'm damaged >_>