Poll: Do You Use the Word "Gay" as an Insult?

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
no, not the word anyway
I will imply others are homosexual for humerous effect, but 'gay' has never seemed a particularly good insult to me..

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
No,I don't use the word as an insult.

Whenever I use the word in a phrase or expression such as "That's so gay" which sounds better than "That's so lame".It is something similar like the word "fuck" is used for so many things as prefix/adjective/verb etc in sentences.

People might think that I am insulting them,but it is not the case,since I am not a racist.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Its used so often its hard not to let it slip when I'm really angry. Its rare though and I never call people gay and never use f*g, that one offends me, I won't even type it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
No, never!
That's gay!

Really though, I don't.
It's tasteless and isn't even good for emphasis.
It makes as much sense as using the word heterosexual as an insult.

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
I don't even use the word gay to refer to a homosexual. I usually use it to refer to something corny or campy.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Serenegoose said:
This is pretty much my response to anybody who thinks it's an appropriate insult.

Being a only very very slightly bi-leaning-mostly-gay-woman, I don't see why I'd use it as an insult.
The only way to kill off an offensive word is to overuse it.

I'll give an example that I usually give. "Breast". Used to be considered highly offensive, which is why we have the terms "White Meat" and "Dark Meat" for any fowl. Now we use it all the time without any thought. Words that are dying off are due to overuse or just newer terminology being invented.

If you walk down the street and hear someone yell "Fag", certainly you'll be offended. It's such a rarity and thus it's shocking. But get on Xbox Live and it rolls off your back. On Xbox Live, everyone is a 'fag'. As decreed by any eight year old playing Call of Duty.

It follows the Lenny Bruce philosophy, which is if we just use the word over and over and make it so mundane then the offensiveness gets killed off and shortly later so does the word. Which is why we grow out of "poopyhead" at seven.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Calling me "gay" would only be offensive because of actually resorting too such a low level of intelligence is beyond me and also I would share the same race as this lowlife (being human).
I apologize if this makes me sound like a supremesist, but really, THAT is the comeback someone uses as an insult towards me?
The word itself has no real offensive power, it is more of a mainstream thing, "everyone is using it! so I should too!".

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Verp said:
Considering that sexual orientation isn't about how one behaves, I'm not sure what it even is to be "flamboyantly homosexual". Can one also be "flamboyantly heterosexual"?
Sexual orientation can be alleged from choice of clothes and mannerisms, because orientations tend towards certain ways of acting. That doesn't mean you are if you dress that way, or that you're not if you don't - but often an orientations recreates their own stereotype to find members of that orientation.

Flamboyantly Heterosexual:

Anyway, "gay" doesn't fit my mouth very well
Snrkkkk.
Well, no homosexual people I've ever met have "tended towards certain ways of acting". Neither have the heterosexual or asexual people I've met. I wouldn't have had any idea about their sexual orientation had I not heard it from them or someone else.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
No, that word is not in my personal lexicon, and I think people who do use that as an insult sound stupid, so I'm certainly never going to change my speech patterns to include it.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Not seriously, more just to insult my freinds who take it as an insult, I dont find it insulting.

The Robotman

Nov 18, 2010
I think anyone on here who has said that they are, 'Offended,' or 'appalled,' by people for using the word Gay as an insult or as a way of bantering someone down verbally are full of crap. I've heard gay used as an insult my entire mortal life. Having lived along the east coast and visited the west coast of the United States, it's safe to say that the original term of gay has transferred from 'happy,' and 'good ol' time,' to 'queer,' and 'Hated sentient life form with apparent aspirations to become homosexual.'
But it goes beyond that.
Gay has become a vicious insult that today's youth has gone about destroying the true meaning of for years and years, and something we can't turn a blind eye to. Even I say the word gay as an insult, often times making such statements such as, "No, that sounds gay,' or, 'Why? What are you, gay?"
The first step is to admit we use it all the time people.
The second is to change the meaning, or at least try to bring back the positive aspects of the word.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Rarely, I try not to.

I do use the word '******' from time to time though, but not really to refer to homosexual people.