Poll: Do you want a Portal 3? (Possible Spoilers!)

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Screw Portal 3, the game concluded just fine and there's no chance of another sequel. What I want is the next Half Life episode.

[sub]By the way, I just finished Portal 2. Valve outdone themselves yet again. [/sub]

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I've thought about this, and I would trust Valve to make an excellent sequel as they did with Portal 2 but the ending doesn't really need a sequel. Would I be happy to hear they're making one? Sure. Would I care if they weren't making one and never will? Nope. I'd be fine either way.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I loved Portal 2, but it's enough. It's over. If Chell/GLADoS/Aperture appear in other Valve games, great. But another dedicated Portal title? I'd have no faith in it to be as great as the first two.

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
I want Gordon to find a portal gun in HL3. It wouldn't exactly be Portal 3, but they could use it for an offhand puzzle every once in a while, plus the ways that thing could be used in combination with gun combat is nearly limitless.

lolemann95

Apr 22, 2011
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1851734 ehhh look at that maybe everything isin't as it seems afterall???? This would have been an awesome twist for portal 3.http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/04/22/portal-2-was-originally-a-prequel-without-portals/ this is also an awesome possibility i think maybe the portals can be out of the picture becouse as you know aperture also tested many other things.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Would love another portal game but not for a long time, I mean like episode 3 long time to keep us hungry for portal fun. Not sure how the story would work as Portal 2's ending was pretty conclusive, but then I though that about the first Portal's ending.

MinimanZombie

Apr 8, 2011
I think something to do with the Ratman Guy. Like someone mentioned before me, it could explain how he survived or what he did around the facility. Or maybe a backstory to Chell, like why she joined or what happened in the early days of testing. Unless they do make a sequel. In which case they can do what ever they want.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Perhaps, but it would have to be a prequel rather than a sequel. Wouldn't mind learning more about Cave Johnson and co.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
No to a sequel, but I wouldnt mind if chell or the cube got an appearance in half life 3, and no to a prequel, unless it was about all the things appature science tried before the portal gun, maybe starring ratman and cave johnson, and a gladOS origin.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
I'm thinking they might integrate the portal mechanics into the next half-life installment. Not sure where I heard it - think it was in the dev commentary on portal 1 - but I heard portal was a test game for the mechanic. And if portal 2 completes the test, then they'll have perfected it for use in other games. Plus they can use that to justify how long it's taking for episode 3 to come out.

lolemann95

Apr 22, 2011
on thing that is for sure is that they will make another portal at all.Look up the critics and how much they have sold holy crap.Dev's goes after the money guys.As long as people want more Portal they will give it to us that's for sure.

silv

Nov 21, 2009
No, I think that after portal's great ending and portal 2's fantastic ending that a portal 3 would be unnecessary. Btw, anyone know if the portal 2 comic was based on ratman?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I don't care what they do next. I'll eat it up. After Portal 2, it has become momumentally clear that I'm a huge Valve fanboy; such rampant fanboyism not seen since the N64 days.

If they released a game about floor cleaner I'd buy it.

lolemann95

Apr 22, 2011
I can't understand why u guys dont want more portal.I may understand those who have been waiting for episode 3 for a looong time but not thoose who love portal.I dnt care about the endings.Anyway about the ending read my post further up and u will see that not everything may be as it seems.Aperture was working on some bioscience or something and u clearly see that they built something like a barn.And where barns are there are wheat which is the way Portal 2 ended.So fake freedom in other words.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I sort of feel like the co-op is our Portal 3, for the following spoiler-ific reasons.

In the song at the end, GLaDOS says she doesn't need Chell anymore. And it's true: she's got those two bots for testing, now. I was guessing that the co-op initiative was essentially GLaDOS' happy ending--she can test forever and ever (and so can we), without ever having to deal with those intolerable and unpredictable humans. So unless they somehow insert another human into the mix, or take Chell's happy ending away and drag her back to the facility there's not much conflict there.

And the conflict between Chell and GLaDOS is also resolved, which was arguably the most important conflict of all in the game. Sure, GLaDOS doesn't like Chell, but she doesn't want her dead anymore, either. And without conflict, you don't have a story.

So if they want to get more story out of GLaDOS, they're going to have to start clean over. No Chell, no Wheatley, none of that. They'd need a whole new conflict with new characters and new problems, and somehow make it as heated and entertaining as the one between Chell and GLaDOS without treading old ground. Personally, I was satisfied with the ending, and I wouldn't mind if it stopped there.

But, this is Valve we're talking about, and they are essentially the Pixar of video games. They know GLaDOS better than any of us, so if there's any more story they want to share, I'm sure they'll find some way to get it to us. And if it takes a Portal 3 to do that, I'm open to it.