and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
DementedSheep said:
JoJo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
While it's a touch nitpicky, the most recent demographics I've seen say 87, which is less than "over 90%."

Don't know why people need to hypberolise a majority.
Just saying, this is a casual discussion of Doctor Who on a gaming website, not a college dissertation paper. A couple of percentage points here and there doesn't change my argument and it certainly wasn't an attempt at hyperbole.

Okay, seriously. I don't give a crap about the Doctor's sex, but how the hell does it actually serve as an important part of his character?
Males and females aren't the same inside or out, you may feel differently but I've always felt that the Doctor is an inherently male character in the way he thinks and acts and in his relationships with others and so I don't think changing his sex would be a good idea.
That a cop out answer. I'm sick of seeing this vague "but men and woman are different" bullshit everytime people don't want a woman to be in a role. It even more stupid here being that his personality changes a bit with each regeneration as well. What specific trait is inherently male about the doctor and unable to be trait of a woman?
Well that's a loaded question you've asked me, since no individual personality trait is the inherent property of one sex. Everything that makes up the Doctor however, from his personality to the way he interacts with others, comes together perfectly as a male character, which he's been for fifty years and there's no good reason to change that now.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I want to see a female Doctor coupled with a male companion. Mix it up for one season

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
JoJo said:
DementedSheep said:
JoJo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
While it's a touch nitpicky, the most recent demographics I've seen say 87, which is less than "over 90%."

Just saying, this is a casual discussion of Doctor Who on a gaming website, not a college dissertation paper. A couple of percentage points here and there doesn't change my argument and it certainly wasn't an attempt at hyperbole.

Okay, seriously. I don't give a crap about the Doctor's sex, but how the hell does it actually serve as an important part of his character?
Males and females aren't the same inside or out, you may feel differently but I've always felt that the Doctor is an inherently male character in the way he thinks and acts and in his relationships with others and so I don't think changing his sex would be a good idea.
That a cop out answer. I'm sick of seeing this vague "but men and woman are different" bullshit everytime people don't want a woman to be in a role. It even more stupid here being that his personality changes a bit with each regeneration as well. What specific trait is inherently male about the doctor and unable to be trait of a woman?
Well that's a loaded question you've asked me, since no individual personality trait is the inherent property of one sex. Everything that makes up the Doctor however, from his personality to the way he interacts with others, comes together perfectly as a male character, which he's been for fifty years and there's no good reason to change that now.
So there is no reason why he can't be female. You're just use to him being male.
No reason to change that? well there is no reason not to. If you're really against the character changing it wonder you didn't stop watching the first time his actor did.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Qtastic said:
JoJo said:
Silvanus said:
Just under 90%, apparently, but you're close.

Shouldn't that mean that if they were being proportionate, which you seem to be suggesting, one should be non-white?
Qtastic said:
Fair enough, but 1/12 is 8%. So if just ONE doctor was not white, then 92% were.
Only if you consider the proportion non-whites living in the UK now. Don't forget the show started back in the Sixties, when the UK was considerably less ethically diverse (and lets be honest, quite a bit more racist). But anyway, if it were down purely to chance using the UK demographics then just 12 Doctors is such a small sample size that it wouldn't be surprising that no non-white Doctors have turned up, that's just the way probability works. Yes it's more likely than not one would be but there's no more 'should' than if you roll a die six times, each number 'should' come up once. In reality, it's usually more messy than that.
Law of large numbers [http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lawoflargenumbers.asp] etc etc. I agree, but I think this is a bit of a red herring. I am not trying to argue that by decree of demographics we should see a non-white Doctor. You are making an in-canon, non-meta appeal as to why the Doctor is always white (i.e. statistics in the world of Doctor Who). While that's fair, I am saying that as artists and creators of the world, it is well within their purview to change the Doctor's race or sex (even gender or orientation).

This would not only serve to present a different perspective, but also allow the writers to make social commentary if they feel so inclined.
Casting isn't a statistics game. It's about finding the right actor for the job so it's pointless to use the argument that at least one should have been black. The fact that the majority of the population are white means that the majority of actors are going to be white too, that doesn't mean that every 11.5th doctor should be black.

OT: Honestly I don't care as long as the actor fits. I haven't watched that far yet, but it's not really an issue. Black or white, why do we need to make a difference? If they turned down someone who fit the job because he was black I would be rather outraged, but as long as that's not the case I don't care.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
DementedSheep said:
JoJo said:
DementedSheep said:
JoJo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

So there is no reason why he can't be female. You're just use to him being male.
No reason to change that? well there is no reason not to. If you're really against the character changing it wonder you didn't stop watching the first time his actor did.
Nope, please read my post again. The part I bolded, that's the reason he can't be female in my eyes. Feel free to disagree with me but you won't change my mind, I like my Doctors as male as beards and fighting ;-)

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Absolutely. I'd be far more inclined to watch the program if the main character regenerated into a giant floating space squid or something. Maybe one of those skin-stealing aliens, even, that would be entertaining.

Oh wait, you just mean different ethnicities? Who cares, then? You'd think in a sci-fi star-faring time-travelling multi-universe spanning program like Doctor Who there'd be more important concerns than the colour of the doctor's skin...

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'd rather have the most qualified actor for the job. If that means another white male Doctor then so be it.
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

The gender or race of the actor playing the Doctor makes no difference to me. I'm more interested in the producers picking an actor or actress that's not only quite talented but one that can bring something interesting to the role. Someone who can inject their own style, personality, and sense of unique charisma into the character. Those are the only qualities that matter to me.

That said, I'm somewhat disappointed they didn't go with someone like Helen Mirren, Naomie Harris, or Ruth Wilson. They would have made for an interesting change-up in the role. That and I think any of them would have been fanta...sorry, I mean brilliant...as the Doctor.
Can't say I'm too fond of Ruth Wilson but I've only seen her in Luther and there are plenty of good actors who don't impress when they're standing next to Idris Elba. Totally on board with Mirren or Harris though. Also, I'm more than a little bummed we won't be seeing Chiwetel Ejiofor as the Doctor - no denying any of them would have kicked copious ass.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wereduck said:
Can't say I'm too fond of Ruth Wilson but I've only seen her in Luther and there are plenty of good actors who don't impress when they're standing next to Idris Elba. Totally on board with Mirren or Harris though. Also, I'm more than a little bummed we won't be seeing Chiwetel Ejiofor as the Doctor - no denying any of them would have kicked copious ass.
Hmm...come to think of it, Ejiofor would have made for a great Doctor as well. Would have brought a sense of cunning and determination to the role. On top of the usual comedic undertones, of course.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I've been pushing for a Female Doctor for a long time, and it's not out of any feminist ideal, really. Infact it's more of the opposite: What would be better than The Doctor? A Doctor us dudes could fuck and have it not be gay.

It's the same principal behind Batgirl's creation. It's everything you loved about the character, just sexy. And I'm not saying FemDoc wears something lowcut or the like.

I mean like, keep everything the same about 9,10 and Eleven and swap the gender. Same clothes, same everything. To me, the idea of a woman like that is attractive in it self.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Sure, while we're at it lets turn James Bond into Jayne Bond
Also she could be half african, half asian and full-blown lesbian.
That would really improve character, right?

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Can the Doctor be something other than a white male? Yes
Should the Doctor be something other than a white male? Maybe

Sure, the Doctor could be something other than a white male. The question becomes "Why is the Doctor something other than a White Male"? From what we've seen of Gallifrey, White Males are in charge there too, so it's more than just "Britain is 87-91-74-98-104-1.01% White!" (your numbers may vary depending on how much of a nitpicky flame war you want to engage in)
Given what we currently know about the entire situation, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to change the Doctor to something other than a White Male.

This isn't to say that the Doctor should always be a white male, or can never be a non-white male. As a rather appropriate example, see: Dr. Joan Watson. Baby step, true, but still a step toward a more inclusive Sherlock Holmes. Elementary is set in a significantly different setting than traditional Sherlock Holmes stories and so making a radical shift in one character - both gender and ethnicity - which doesn't actually negate the character at all. Still a Doctor, still assisting Holmes, still extremely competent. Just now an asian woman instead of a white man. (And yes, there is a better example to use from this show but the spoiler tags would give it away.)

Can Doctor Who do this? Yes. It might even be able to do it without radically changing the setting, as Elementary did which allowed it to make these kinds of changes. But should Doctor Who do it? I'm not seeing a compelling reason why it should. It's not likely to lose fans like me - newcomers who aren't all that invested in the history of Doctor Who (particularly Doctors 1-8), as long as the show is still entertaining and fun. It might turn off long-time Doctor Who fans who have spent 50 years with a white-male Doctor and don't want to change. It might trigger some unconscious resentment or lack of respect for the new Doctor. (there's a few studies I've seen referenced about how Americans react to different ethnicities in positions of power which indicated that Americans tended to react best to white males being in charge. One of them had to do with looking a pictures of people and told to pick out the people they thought were most powerful; 6 headshots of random men and women and asking the participants to point out the "Police Officer" or "teacher" or "Lawyer" or "Doctor", etc. The higher the position of power, the more often participants would point to a white male in the photo line up. And older white males, I believe, were highest on the list. My Google-fu is weak tonight, though, so I haven't got the reference handy. And yes, it was about Americans, not Canadians or Brits - though I seriously doubt that the difference in this case would be significant.)

Or it might just be that the suits who market the show and the writers who write the show can't be arsed to change; they've got a good thing going as it is, why change it? Why try to change the marketing of Doctor Who to revolve around a Woman and her male Companions? Why write out how Queen Elizabeth would react to her husband (David Tennant) showing up a few days after they get married... as Chiwetel Ejiofor? Could just be laziness on the part of a long established and well loved show. Who knows?

Overall, I'd be quite interested in seeing a non-white, non-male Doctor, or maybe a Transgender Doctor of some kind (Cross dressing doctor, for example) in the future. But I'm not the shows bread and butter; I don't go to conventions dressed as a character from the show, or even buy the DVD's (which are ridiculously expensive, by the way). I'm a pretty casual fan who hasn't invested a great deal of time, so a potentially major change like this wouldn't rock my world.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mcoffey said:
blackrave said:
Can you give me a good reason how it would hurt the character, besides "He's always been a white dude"?
Because it is pre-existing character
Character that was created and developed with certain traits in mind
Two of those traits are British and male
(please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this in Doctor)
When creating new characters, sure, go nuts (when writing short stories, I personally like to throw a dice to determine certain traits of characters I make up)
But please leave alone already existing characters
I know, I know tempering with certain traits may lead to good results
but when it is working don't try to fix it, ok?
And Doctor is definitely working.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing a minority or female doctor to be honest. I remember hearing all this buzz about Idris Elba and I thought that he'd do a perfect job as the doctor, capturing both the serious and the humorous elements of the character. It doesn't bother me too much, considering I'm very pleased with all of the recent doctors, baring Peter Capaldi since I haven't seen him in the role yet. However I do believe that the next doctor should pull from the more diverse elements of England and take advantage of the amazing crop of actors that they have. OR give it to an Australian, because I'd love to see one of us as the doctor, imagine an Aboriginal Doctor!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
As it's a show that perpetually reboots/reimagines the lead, I really don't see the harm in shaking up ethnicity or gender. I don't really care if they don't, either, but if you're constantly recasting the role of an identity swapping alien and he somehow always comes out white and male, people are gonna groan after a while.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mcoffey said:
blackrave said:
Mcoffey said:
blackrave said:
Can you give me a good reason how it would hurt the character, besides "He's always been a white dude"?
Because it is pre-existing character
Character that was created and developed with certain traits in mind
Two of those traits are British and male
(please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this in Doctor)
When creating new characters, sure, go nuts (when writing short stories, I personally like to throw a dice to determine certain traits of characters I make up)
But please leave alone already existing characters
I know, I know tempering with certain traits may lead to good results
but when it is working don't try to fix it, ok?
And Doctor is definitely working.
So your answer amounts to "Because he's always been that way."

You haven't said how being female or a different race would harm the character.
In my original post I implied that it wouldn't improve it.
Later I stated that there are certain things that are strongly expected from Doctor
1+2=?