Poll: Doctor Who Could Be Better

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
blackrave said:
In my original post I implied that it wouldn't improve it.
Later I stated that there are certain things that are strongly expected from Doctor
1+2=?
You've not proved what those things are. You only specified British and Male anyway, white doesn't equate to "white".

It's also expected that the doctor wouldn't be a "zany" 12 year old that snogs his female companions, all of whom are the same.

LeeArac

Aug 16, 2011
blackrave said:
Sure, while we're at it lets turn James Bond into Jayne Bond
Also she could be half african, half asian and full-blown lesbian.
That would really improve character, right?
A) What exactly is the difference between 'a full-blown lesbian' and just... a lesbian? I'm assuming the former is some kind of hair-cropped, denim-wearing monstrosity from your conservative nightmares?
B) Maybe, but would it really /harm/ the character? Unless you're positing that women are somehow just inherently inferior actors than men, the chances that 'the right actor for the job' just /happened/ to be a man after /4/ Doctors in the new series is seeming less and less likely.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mcoffey said:
So again, because it's "expected" we shouldn't change it? Why not?

James Bond was a Cold War era spy, but we had no problem changing that. The era is as arbitrary as the gender.
This change wouldn't improve the character and it would break expectations and established traits.
In my book combination of that isn't something good.

James Bond worked because after USSR collapsed, there was no cold war anymore.
And without cold war, "cold war era spy" status is broken.
By updating him, broken part was fixed.

What is broken in Doctor?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
LeeArac said:
A) What exactly is the difference between 'a full-blown lesbian' and just... a lesbian? I'm assuming the former is some kind of hair-cropped, denim-wearing monstrosity from your conservative nightmares?
B) Maybe, but would it really /harm/ the character? Unless you're positing that women are somehow just inherently inferior actors than men, the chances that 'the right actor for the job' just /happened/ to be a man after /4/ Doctors in the new series is seeming less and less likely.
You assume too much
A)I actually just tried to come up that would be direct opposite of heterosexual womanizer. Result wasn't any good, I admit.
B)But change wouldn't improve it either. And changing just for changing's sake will do at least some harm (it usually does)

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
I am so sick of all this racism toward white people. so what if the last 12 or so doctors have all been white.

why don't the coloured people just make their own Dr Who show.... they can call it Dr Yo, or Dr Ho

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mcoffey said:
blackrave said:
This change wouldn't improve the character and it would break expectations and established traits.
In my book combination of that isn't something good.

James Bond worked because after USSR collapsed, there was no cold war anymore.
And without cold war, "cold war era spy" status is broken.
By updating him, broken part was fixed.

What is broken in Doctor?
The need for a white male in the lead to be marketable and successful. The show would survive without those who couldn't accept it. It would probably even thrive.
And how do you know that making the character female wouldn't improve him if it's never been done before.
O_O
That.
Makes.
No.
Sense.
Like at all.
Show doesn't need a white male lead to be marketable and successful.
Show needs good writing and good production quality to be marketable and successful.
But this show already has character that is established as one
Of course creators can change whatever they want, but should they?
That is the real question here.

Closest comparison I can think of is Motoko Kusanagi from GitS (due to ability to change body)
"She have been Japanese woman for far too long. In next series lets turn her into Ethiopian guy. Why? Because we can!"
I can see how that would improve series (not really)

This logic is the same that people who are ruining developing Mad Max game operate on.
"Details really doesn't matter, what matter is the story itself". Then why not to keep things the same?

P.S. I'm surprised nobody has yet brought "WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE" to this discussion. I'm so proud of you people. Humanity may have a chance.
P.P.S. DAMMIT!!! I did it myself :(

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
I wanted to vote for the old format of episodes to bring the drama and suspense back to doctor who.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mcoffey said:
The show no longer needs a white male, yes.
The question isn't "Should they?", the question is "Why shouldn't they?"
Motoko was turned into a little girl at the ending of the first movie and briefly during Stand Alone Complex? Would the show truly be so ruined if she did become a man? How would that hurt the series?
[sub][sub][sub]You know it feels like I'm talking to brick wall.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

"Why shouldn't they?"
Because it would be "risk without reason" situation.
There is no real reason to change this, same as there is no reason to stick to it.
Except one- if something works and isn't broken, you don't fix it.
And that is not the worst reason.

How well do you remember movies and series?
At the end of first movie there was no more Motoko, after merging with Puppet Master there was new entity.
During SAC series, she wasn't "turned" into little girl. Those were her (or rather, their) memories about time directly after accident, when she lost her organic body.
At the beginning of third movie, she remotely controls another synthetic body for a while.
But her brain at all time is located in the body we all associate with Kusanagi.
And I'm pretty sure permanently moving her brain into male body, would actually hurt the series and character.
Just re-watch series again if you need proof for that claim.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Íf the regeneration process is completely random, yeah, he should have been different races and genders a fair bit by now. But I remember there being some aspect of choice in the regenerated form, in which case all white males would make sense. Either way I don't care, although it would be interesting to see a female Doctor and male companion.

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
but isn't the doctor an alien? he is not human

so the human race has whites blacks yellows red etc etc the race he is from might only have white... he isn't human so hhuman skin colours shouldn't apply to him

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mick Beard said:

so the human race has whites blacks yellows red etc etc the race he is from might only have white... he isn't human so hhuman skin colours shouldn't apply to him
What about other time lords?
How were they presented?

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
I don't care. It's about the right actor, and if a black person hasn't been chosen then whatever. Same with a woman. It doesn't matter to me, since I'd be interested in seeing it, but that's the thing I say to all things Doctor Who: Bring it on, it's a brilliant series. Also, the fact that you've just seen the announcement of Capaldi as The Doctor begs the question: What rock have you been living under?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
blackrave said:
Mick Beard said:

How were they presented?
They only seem to have white or black timelords, no, for example, asians.

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
blackrave said:
Mick Beard said:

How were they presented?
no idea, don't watch the show.... just sticking up for the white man (and if someone thinks that's racist to say then you really need to take a hard look at yourself)

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Who cares. So long as people enjoy the show why should it matter what race the character is. I would wager the majority of people who watch doctor who are white. I would wager the majority of people expect doctor who to be a white male. Hell I would wager a lot of people (women included) would be upset if doctor who out of nowhere suddenly was a white woman. You do not fix was is not broken. I don't actually watch doctor who but just because a character can be anyone at anytime does not mean people want him to be. I have no personal investment in the show so I cannot really speak for the fans but generally people do not like change when it comes to a fandom.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Vigormortis said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'd rather have the most qualified actor for the job. If that means another white male Doctor then so be it.
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

The gender or race of the actor playing the Doctor makes no difference to me. I'm more interested in the producers picking an actor or actress that's not only quite talented but one that can bring something interesting to the role. Someone who can inject their own style, personality, and sense of unique charisma into the character. Those are the only qualities that matter to me.

That said, I'm somewhat disappointed they didn't go with someone like Helen Mirren, Naomie Harris, or Ruth Wilson. They would have made for an interesting change-up in the role. That and I think any of them would have been fanta...sorry, I mean brilliant...as the Doctor.
Mate they can't get those people. They aren't going to turn down film and stage work to spend 18 weeks in quarry outside Cardiff for 50% less money. Naomie Harris has just played Winnie Mandela opposite Idris Elba as Nelson in a movie, neither of them are going to turn that film down to play Dr Who. Helen Mirren has got an Oscar for god sake, they can't afford her. This isn't US tv with 10000s paid per episode, its the BBC. They would be lucky to get paid 10000 for an entire season.