Poll: Doctor Who Could Be Better

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
The one female actor I can really see as the Doctor is Tilda Swinton.With her androgynous look and sense of other-worldliness,I think she'd be perfect.
I even have the post-regeneration scene in my head:
"I don't believe it! This is a first! It's taken all these regenerations but it's finally happened! I'm finally...GINGER!"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
AusGamer44 said:
The one female actor I can really see as the Doctor is Tilda Swinton.With her androgynous look and sense of other-worldliness,I think she'd be perfect.
"I don't believe it! This is a first! It's taken all these regenerations but it's finally happened! I'm finally...GINGER!"
Yeah, I've always thought she'd make a good Doctor.

Qtastic

May 16, 2012
AusGamer44 said:
This I can DEFINITELY see lol. Beautiful.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
rebelscum said:
I guess one of the problems with a black or female doctor is that the show regularly time-travels back to the past, and, well...

FEMALE DOCTOR: "I know what the problem is!"
MEN OF 1500s LONDON "Shut up woman
FEMALE DOCTOR "No, my sonic screwdriver ha..."
MEN OF 1500s LONDON "A witch! Burn her!"

And that kind of thing would be interesting if the episode were a one-off set, say, during the Suffragette movement, but the Doctor being a woman would dominate every single episode set in the past (roughly 1/4-1/3 of an average season) in a way that the Doctor being a man does not. As a man he can move freely through any time period without slowing down the narrative for a "Sexism is bad, yo" message.
(Also I know his companions are female and the whole sexism in the past thing has been dealt with with a snide one-liner in the past, making the main character driving the story forward a woman would mean the issue would get pushed much more to the fore)

And as for the Doctor being black, that'd be even worse! I don't want lynch threats in my Doctor Who.

EDIT - Goddamn ninjas
Actually Rebelscum hit the nail right on the head as to why both a female and a non white male (especially in England) would be a very bad idea, if most of the episodes focus around traveling back in time then almost every episode would have issues of racism, sexism &/or both and would get old and probably ruin the show. That said I don't watch Dr Who (please don't hurt me) so i cannot comment beyond what I've read and have heard about the show. Not to mention as you said, changing for change sake would be stupid, people are use to a white male doctor and while the actor may change they recognize him straight away. He's got a consistent look (you could call it iconic) which even I as someone who has never seen the series can recognise, which if changed could cause a massive backlash. Lots of risk for frankly no reward.
blackrave said:
You know what? It is true that all my arguments could be reduced to "they've always been this way and I'd feel icky if they changed it".
But it doesn't make you right because base of your arguments is "lets change things just to change things"
Both are equally "small minded"
So lets put real world issues and our personal beliefs aside, shall we?

Lets talk about internal logic of series.
Doctor has been white male for 12/13 regenerations
I'm pretty sure he has preference or at least some REALLY good reason for these traits.
Can we at least agree on that?

Michael Kirley

Dec 4, 2013
1. The Doctor's regenerations are supposed to be random.
'Eh. This is a pretty irrelevant argument. I'm not sure why we'd really waste time evaluating the random distribution of regenerations. Suspension of disbelief, and whatnot.

2. A non-white and/or non-male Doctor would be an interesting and bold change.
Depends on how you look at it. I think that it would probably come across as pandering (because that's what it is) to people who really just want diversity for diversity's sake. I mean, there's nothing wrong with changing the Doctor's character, per se, but there's no real reason (and especially no requirement) for it to be done in this manner.
3. "It would send the message that it really doesn't matter" what race or sex the Doctor is...it's still the Doctor (read the subtext "we aren't all that different from each other in the end.")
The day the Doctor starts being that overt about political commentary will be the day I stop watching it. I don't watch Doctor Who to listen to social commentary talking points that I've heard ten thousand times on the news already. I watch Doctor Who because it's entertaining and awesome. Doing shit for political points is always obvious and always comes across as fakery, at least to me.
4. A large portion of the Doctor Who fan base is female (have you EVER been to a convention?), so I'm sure they would appreciate a female Doctor.
Doesn't this undermine your argument viz. attacking the guy who said that he could relate more to a white, male Doctor?

I guess it really comes down to the fact that characters don't *need* to have any characteristics, in particular; they're fictional! But that doesn't mean we should just randomly change variables because it would be a statement about equality, or whatever. All of that stuff comes across as cheap and totally contrived whenever it happens. It also takes the focus of the show away from the actual show and puts it on a discussion of stuff that really has nothing to do with Doctor Who as entertainment.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Qtastic said:
4. A large portion of the Doctor Who fan base is female (have you EVER been to a convention?), so I'm sure they would appreciate a female Doctor.
This argument seems a bit off
I'm sure half of women (or more) do not want to be Doctor, they want to be his companion (as in not relating to character, but feeling attraction to character)
That part would be disappointed or even angry if Doctor suddenly changed gender.
All they want from Doctor is to stay witty and charming (and occasionally attractive)

Only reason why Doctor could change gender/skin color would be if something/someone forced him to
For example if he was trapped for some time somewhere without access to Tardis, while at the same time being hunted by someone/something. Then to hide among crowd, regenerating outside his usual/preferred appearance traits would be tactical choice.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
While I'm not adverse to the idea (Helen Mirren would be an awesome Doctor) I think I would dislike the change if it was really done, It just feels to much like Pandering to the pc crowd. It would feel cheap and tacky and tacked on for no good reason.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I really don't think a show this mainstream wants to have to deal with politics so much. The writers and crew probably just want to focus on making the show instead of having being dragged to interviews to be shamed by 'family' news stations or praised for being progressive.

If they have ideas for a female, ethnic or different sexuality doctor then they will but they don't seem to. Besides, they have more then enough characters carrying all those basis already so making the doctor that as well seems pointless when they already try to make a different dynamic with different doctors and seem quite happy continuing that. No show or product should ever be forced to diversify provided they aren't being racist, sexist etc but if they want to make it they well and it should be good hopefully.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
I've been pushing for a Female Doctor for a long time, and it's not out of any feminist ideal, really. Infact it's more of the opposite: What would be better than The Doctor? A Doctor us dudes could fuck and have it not be gay.

It's the same principal behind Batgirl's creation. It's everything you loved about the character, just sexy. And I'm not saying FemDoc wears something lowcut or the like.

I mean like, keep everything the same about 9,10 and Eleven and swap the gender. Same clothes, same everything. To me, the idea of a woman like that is attractive in it self.
While I agree with what you say...David Tennant is already sexy hunk of a man. Rawr.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Mr.Squishy said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I've been pushing for a Female Doctor for a long time, and it's not out of any feminist ideal, really. Infact it's more of the opposite: What would be better than The Doctor? A Doctor us dudes could fuck and have it not be gay.

It's the same principal behind Batgirl's creation. It's everything you loved about the character, just sexy. And I'm not saying FemDoc wears something lowcut or the like.

I mean like, keep everything the same about 9,10 and Eleven and swap the gender. Same clothes, same everything. To me, the idea of a woman like that is attractive in it self.
While I agree with what you say...David Tennant is already sexy hunk of a man. Rawr.
Yes, and at the risk of my Hetero card I do agree, but I'm saying if we had a female doctor we could want to fuck her and have it NOT be gay.

Qtastic

May 16, 2012
The day the Doctor starts being that overt about political commentary will be the day I stop watching it.
No one is suggesting having a female Doctor stand on a soapbox and declare equal rights. The act of choosing, say, a female, would be all that would be necessary.

Doing shit for political points is always obvious and always comes across as fakery, at least to me.
5. "This is all PC crap."

Nope, not at all. If I were to say that all established white male roles, such as the human torch (troll face), should have females or non-whites sometimes, we could talk (though I don't care what sex or race anything is, but there is at least grounds for a conversation), but the Time Lords have been established IN CANON on numerous occasions as having the ability to change into any race/sex after dying (at random). So yeah...no.

I think people read buzz words like "message" in the context of television and IMMEDIATELY jump to the PC assumption. This is disappointing, as there is a difference between PC crap and genuine issues. There is also nothing to say that such a "message" has to be overt, blatant, belabored, or constantly revisited. Frankly, I think much of the "PC crap" posts are reactionary: people who are afraid that any changes to the Doctor's character will destroy it, even though the Doctor has changed innumerable times.

I'm sure half of women (or more) do not want to be Doctor, they want to be his companion (as in not relating to character, but feeling attraction to character)
That part would be disappointed or even angry if Doctor suddenly changed gender.
All they want from Doctor is to stay witty and charming (and occasionally attractive)
A fair point, though it might be a bit presumptuous to say that they would be disappointed or angry. I think some would love the strong female Doctor, others would be angry, and others would be ambivalent. Some would get over it and love it (fans are fans), some would decide they don't like it after awhile, etc.

NOTE TO ALL: THERE IS NO SUGGESTION THAT A CHANGE IN WRITING OR STYLE WOULD BE IMPLEMENTED AT ALL.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
:facepalm:

The title 'Doctor Who Could Be Better' isn't one this thread is about.
You should rename it to 'There Needs To Be a Non-White (Male) Doctor'.

The Doctor's skin color or gender as little, if anything, to do with how GOOD or BETTER the show is/could become.

Making a character a specific race/gender just to fill a quota is just a bigoted as not a character a specific race/gender.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Qtastic said:
No one is suggesting having a female Doctor stand on a soapbox and declare equal rights. The act of choosing, say, a female, would be all that would be necessary.

Doing shit for political points is always obvious and always comes across as fakery, at least to me.

Nope, not at all. If I were to say that all established white male roles, such as the human torch (troll face), should have females or non-whites sometimes, we could talk (though I don't care what sex or race anything is, but there is at least grounds for a conversation), but the Time Lords have been established IN CANON on numerous occasions as having the ability to change into any race/sex after dying (at random). So yeah...no.

I think people read buzz words like "message" in the context of television and IMMEDIATELY jump to the PC assumption. This is disappointing, as there is a difference between PC crap and genuine issues. There is also nothing to say that such a "message" has to be overt, blatant, belabored, or constantly revisited. Frankly, I think much of the "PC crap" posts are reactionary: people who are afraid that any changes to the Doctor's character will destroy it, even though the Doctor has changed innumerable times.

A fair point, though it might be a bit presumptuous to say that they would be disappointed or angry. I think some would love the strong female Doctor, others would be angry, and others would be ambivalent. Some would get over it and love it (fans are fans), some would decide they don't like it after awhile, etc.

NOTE TO ALL: THERE IS NO SUGGESTION THAT A CHANGE IN WRITING OR STYLE WOULD BE IMPLEMENTED AT ALL.
Dr Who does not sit in vacuum. In the words of Andrew Marr is ?The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It?s a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities, and gay people. It has a liberal bias, not so much a party political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias" Marr is a BBC current affairs broadcaster and former editor of the left leaning Independent Newspaper. Ben Stephenson, the controller of BBC drama commissioning, said a couple of years ago, the BBC should foster ?Left-of-centre thinking?. You might say well you can not watch but the BBC you have to pay the licence fee regardless if you watch the BBC or not. You can't use what in essence is a tax to promote one political point of view. One of the reason why old Who was cancelled was the writers were using the show to attack the government of the day. Moffet is a Labour party donor and any move by him to make the Dr more diverse is going to viewed in a wider context. The BBC is already in real trouble for, ignoring widespread sexuall abuse by well known presenters, for its pay structure and for the appallingly bad journalistic standards when the BBC accused a prominent Tory peer of being a pedophile. Following your favored position is going to weaken the already crumbling foundations of the BBC.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Mmm...not sure where you saw that. From what I've read the budget per episode was roughly £1,000,000. And, that was back during Eccleston's run. Since then the budget has increased.
If that's true, then they spent £998,000 of it on catering. Eccleston era Who looks like a High School play.

Qtastic

May 16, 2012
albino boo said:
Qtastic said:

Dr Who does not sit in vacuum. In the words of Andrew Marr is ?The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It?s a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities, and gay people. It has a liberal bias, not so much a party political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias" Marr is a BBC current affairs broadcaster and former editor of the left leaning Independent Newspaper. Ben Stephenson, the controller of BBC drama commissioning, said a couple of years ago, the BBC should foster ?Left-of-centre thinking?. You might say well you can not watch but the BBC you have to pay the licence fee regardless if you watch the BBC or not. You can't use what in essence is a tax to promote one political point of view. One of the reason why old Who was cancelled was the writers were using the show to attack the government of the day. Moffet is a Labour party donor and any move by him to make the Dr more diverse is going to viewed in a wider context. The BBC is already in real trouble for, ignoring widespread sexuall abuse by well known presenters, for its pay structure and for the appallingly bad journalistic standards when the BBC accused a prominent Tory peer of being a pedophile. Following your favored position is going to weaken the already crumbling foundations of the BBC.
I'm sorry...you think making a show more diverse makes it liberal? What sad, xenophobic, hateful people you must think conservatives are. I don't think asking for a female and/or non-white Doctor is liberal (in the political sense of the word). I'm sure there are plenty of politically conservative individuals who are not frightened by change.

I wasn't aware that seeing race, sex, and sexual orientation as equal was such a wildly liberal idea. I didn't even think it was much of a statement, just a cool little wink. I thought we were past the point where that is still an actual "message." How utterly disappointing. The Doctor would be ashamed.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Qtastic said:
I'm sure there are plenty of politically conservative individuals who are not frightened by change.
Er, the basis of conservatism is being opposed to change. That's the whole point of it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Qtastic said:
I'm sorry...you think making a show more diverse makes it liberal? What sad, xenophobic, hateful people you must think conservatives are. I don't think asking for a female and/or non-white Doctor is liberal (in the political sense of the word). I'm sure there are plenty of politically conservative individuals who are not frightened by change.
It is when you have Labour party supporter making a decision to not to cast a white male and replace them with a non white male. Mr Moffett has made the rod for his own back by using his prominence to support a political cause, any decision will taken in that context. You can't make public political pronouncements without having consequences to how your work is viewed, even more so when this is publicly funded. Lets turn this round for a second, what would the Guardian say if show with black woman in the lead was replaced by white man and by a producer that supports the conservative party. If Moffett kept his political opinions to himself in would not matter as much. However, he chose not to and that limits what he can do.

Qtastic

May 16, 2012
It is when you have Labour party supporter making a decision to not to cast a white male and replace them with a non white male.
So making a show more diverse is liberal to you then? Got it...that's sad.

Lets turn this round for a second, what would the Guardian say if show with black woman in the lead was replaced by white man and producer that supports the conservative party.
A specious comparison, unless the show involves a "randomly" shapeshifting alien.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Qtastic said:
It is when you have Labour party supporter making a decision to not to cast a white male and replace them with a non white male.
So making a show more diverse is liberal to you then? Got it...that's sad.

Lets turn this round for a second, what would the Guardian say if show with black woman in the lead was replaced by white man and producer that supports the conservative party.
A specious comparison, unless the show involves a "randomly" shapeshifting alien.
I'm sorry but the world what its is and whether you like it not, that is the political reality. If you are brickie who has seen his income drop because of immigration from Poland and you see a labour party supporter replacing a white male like you with someone else, what do conclusion do think they will make. It won't be it wow thats made the show diverse. Its far more likely to be bloody lefty being politically correct, I have pay £125 a year for this Guardian reading crap and I have to pay extra to get the premiership.