Poll: Does anyone (feminist, gamer, SJW, atheist) really find Fedoras attractive/cool?

AwesomeHatMan

Jul 24, 2012
Google images search: "White Collar hat"

Does it look good? Yes. Is it because the actor is already good looking?... probably...

renegade7 said:
If -and only if- you are that guy on White Collar (and in all honest, Matt Bomer could probably get away with just about anything)...
Oh someone beat me to it... man I wish I looked like Matt Bomer... I'd need a fence to hold back all of the lovely ladies

Apr 25, 2009
It was fashionable back in the 40's / 50's if you wore it with a suit and long jacket as you stood smoking a cigarette on a highrise veranda at 3 in the morning.

Nowadays it just looks very silly and dorky, often combined with a leather trenchcoat and Star Trek shirt.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I find them deeply attractive but the moment you put a greasy overweight guy with a neckbeard underneath it it's a dealbreaker.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
It generally get associated with certain types because its a certain type that wears them, thinking it makes them look brooding and mysterious in an effort to attract women. We call them "Nice Guys", and they are awful.

Its the Matrix trenchcoat and sunglasses for the Millenials.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
If you have chubby cheeks you should not wear one.

I happen to have the figure necessary to wear the trilby fairly well. Plus I like fedoras and trilby's they're nice and to be perfectly honest if I could I'd wear a suit everyday.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Xiado said:
Anything shorter than shoulder length. It's similar because it requires a bold and interesting personality to make work.

"Oh wow look, you cut your hair short. You're definitely not like the other girls"

Is the default reaction to people wearing a look that they adopted simply to stand out and cry their special snowflake status to the world. To make it work you need to make the unusualness of your look seem like the natural extension of a standout person, and to do that you need to be exceptional.
If you were on about a buzzcut or a shaved head you'd have a point, but really, shorter than shoulder length? That's...not that short. What era are you from, exactly? Shorter than shoulder length hair hasn't been unusual since at least the 1930s.

It's shorter than is most common for women, but it's not exactly so short that it stands out. There's plenty of classic and common shorter than shoulder length womens hairstyles that are perfectly normal and don't stand out to the point where they are clearly trying to be different.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Except that popular headware we nerds supposedly wear isn't a Fedora. Those are trilbies. And don't really like them.

Fedoras on the other hand, yes. If they're well crafted. The problem is these cost 150$ and upwards.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
There are plenty of utilitarian reasons to get your hair cut short if you work any number of jobs, or spend a lot of time on certain hobbies, like basically any sport. It's either a ponytail every day, or short hair. And if I could pull off short hair, I'd be going with that.

As for fedoras, unless it's 1935, I don't find that shit attractive. Unless, as others have said, you're pairing it with a nice suit, or actual Humphrey Bogart Halloween costume.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I really like it, but I can't really carry one up. I bought one five years ago and I still haven't worn it :-/

edit: also, in those five years apparently we've all collectively decided that fedoras are for a**holes, so now I'm not sure if I dare to try :-/

Maybe I'll wait a couple of years or so for this thing to die down and then try again ^^

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Xiado said:
SKBPinkie said:
Xiado said:
Is the default reaction to people wearing a look that they adopted simply to stand out and cry their special snowflake status to the world. To make it work you need to make the unusualness of your look seem like the natural extension of a standout person, and to do that you need to be exceptional.
So anyone who doesn't fit your BS criteria deserves to be ridiculed for it. Got it.
Yes, I will ridicule anyone who looks like an insecure tryhard. People being nice to you is a privilege you earn, not a right. My "BS criteria" isn't universal aesthetics, it's personal to me and my wants and needs. Why should I be nice to neckbeards who want to be Humphrey Bogart or insecure women who look like 10 year old boys?
I'm being genuine here, this is better than self-righteousness. At least you are owning to being an ass.

And you're right - you don't have to be nice to anyone. But if a simple thing like a hat or a haircut can make you mad, you will be judged for it. Hell, the people you're talking about may or may not be terrible humans, but your comments here confirm that you are.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Xiado said:
SKBPinkie said:
Xiado said:
So anyone who doesn't fit your BS criteria deserves to be ridiculed for it. Got it.
Yes, I will ridicule anyone who looks like an insecure tryhard. People being nice to you is a privilege you earn, not a right. My "BS criteria" isn't universal aesthetics, it's personal to me and my wants and needs. Why should I be nice to neckbeards who want to be Humphrey Bogart or insecure women who look like 10 year old boys?
On the flipside of that question, why be an asshole to them if they haven't actually wronged you? If you're a cock to people just at face value when they haven't done or said anything wrong, why would /anyone/ ever put in the effort to earn the "privilege" of your judgemental ass being nice to them?

You sound like an insecure tryhard yourself if that's how you behave; I mean I love Doctor House as a character, but no ones wants to be friends with him in real life (or the show for that matter). Just let people be, beince nice or at least polite/neutral costs you nothing. I mean I highly doubt you ridicule people to their faces, because that tends to get you a slap in the teeth. Unless you just pick on people that wouldn't or couldn't.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
What do I think? Well, I have several thoughts on the matter. So, if I may:

#1: I think it's just a hat.

#2: I think people need to learn the difference between a fedora and a trilby.

#3: I think it's a style of hat that's no different from any other style of hat. By that I mean it looks good on some people, male and female, and generally only with certain clothes/accessories. On others, not so much.

If you can sport the look, go for it. Otherwise, please steer clear.

#4: I think the negative connotations associated with it today were born out of ignorance and bigotry. And that those who birthed those connotations, or hold to them, are no better than the jerk-offs who use terms like "Feminazi", "Cis-Scum", and "SJW" with a straight face.

#5: I think the use of the hat/term as an insult speaks more about the character (or lack there of) of those using the insult than it does about those who wear the hat.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Littaly said:
I really like it, but I can't really carry one up. I bought one five years ago and I still haven't worn it :-/

edit: also, in those five years apparently we've all collectively decided that fedoras are for a**holes, so now I'm not sure if I dare to try :-/

Maybe I'll wait a couple of years or so for this thing to die down and then try again ^^
Nah. Just wear it now with a nice button-down, collared shirt and some nice pants. You'll be fine. (a nice coat might help too)

In a lot of ways, it's just as much about the confidence you portray and the way you carry yourself when wearing it as it is what you wear with it.

As long as you feel good wearing it, who cares what some random asshole on the street thinks?

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
I'm not sure what to vote for, the problem with fedoras is that in order to wear one without looking ridiculous, it needs to match your face and your outfit. I've seen people look really good in fedoras but there are some out there who seem to think that just by wearing one you'll look like a classy gentleman. It also doesn't help that they are pretty much the physical embodiment of sexism these days.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Since when were the terms feminist, gamer, SJW, or atheist ever associated with fedoras? I always thought that it was pretty much almost exclusively used in conjunction with neckbearded self-proclaimed "nice guys".

To answer your question though. Yes, then can be used to add a little, as you say, "class", but only to those who are wearing suits, or if you are Indiana Jones. Otherwise, you just look silly. Super silly.

Here is a quick 100% factual PSA on the topic:

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I'm happy to live in an area where fedora's never became a "thing" but I wouldn't become judgmental if they did.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
I´m sad hats aren´t a thing anymore. If nothing else I´m sad about it from a purely practical standpoint. I´m a man and as a man I (and you) have to face the fact that there is a very good chance we´re going to go bald and that just looks so much better with a suit and a fancy hat than with a t-shirt and slacks. Bring back the hats so I have something to put on my future chrome dome.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Meh, it's a hat. I've tried on a couple when I was bored in clothing stores, but I'm not sure if they're for me. If someone else can rock the look, more power to them.