Poll: Does anyone (feminist, gamer, SJW, atheist) really find Fedoras attractive/cool?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Other Option:
IT MAKES THE WEARER LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT.

Yes, yes it does.
The vast majority of people who TRY to wear a fedora, can't.
Either they wear the wrong clothing with it.
OR
Have the wrong head for it.
OR
Both.

So.
Please.
Stop.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
like all accessories, it works in the appropriate situation.

if you're wearing a suit or a trenchcoat (presumably whilst talking about dames and being hardboiled) then fine (or possibly if youre a journalist and need something to put a "I'm a journalist" thingy in)

if youre wearing jeans and a T shirt then no, that is not an appropriate place to wear a fedora

you don't wear a ball gag and spiked leather mankini outside the sex club, you don't wear peacock feathers, sequined speedos, fishnet stockings, and corset unless youre either doing the floorshow part of the rocky horror picture show, or failed a bet or something, and you don't wear a fedora in casual clothes.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I really like fedoras mostly because of fallout new vegas, I loved wearing one in that game even if it was rather impractical since it didn?t provide any armour(obviously).

I considered buying one in real life knowing full well that I would probably look ridiculous, but never got around to actually doing so, and nowadays I?m more interested in buying a tricorn, it doesn?t get any better than eighteen century headwear.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
I have a fedora, not a trilby. My usual out-of-the-house style is business casual (long sleeved button up shirt and slacks), so my fedora tends to compliment the look. I accompany this with my leather trench coat, weather permitting. If people react badly to these things, they aren't willing to do it to my face. Further, if they're willing to make a severe judgement on me based on my clothes, they aren't worth having around. Period.

That being said, the "Just A Hat" option is the only reasonable one to pick on the poll. A fedora means nothing in and of itself. It's an article of clothing. My personal opinion is that those sorts of hats look best with conservative clothing or suits rather than t-shirt and jeans, but I'm not the fashion police. If your clothing isn't doing me personal harm, I'm not going to sweat it.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I like how 5 out of 6 options are positive with just one negative. *Eyeroll*

And no. Only a select few of people would actually look good in one without looking like a retard.

Crimsom Storm

Feb 17, 2011
Phasmal said:
No, I don't like them.

It's probably more to do with the image they've become associated with rather than the actual thing.
This is pretty much how I feel, though I actually like how they look. Atheists and SJWs pretty much ruined Fedoras forever for me. Originally, I associated them with noir/detectives, for some reason, and enjoyed how they look. Now? Well, now that they're apparently the face of of the A(nti)theist movement, I really want nothing to do with them. It's sad, really.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Fedoras are very charming and lovable, I shall have you know. Why, simply adorning one's cranium with a fedora instantly makes you 8% brilliant in every possible aspect.

Except social skills.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'll happily never judge anyone simply because they are wearing a fedora.

Now, will people also declare that they will never judge anyone for wearing an Ed Hardy T-shirt, sunglasses indoors, bedazzled jeans, Affliction T-shirts, popped collars, Varsity Letter Jackets, or trucker hats?

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
It's a fucking hat.

You can make up whatever bullshit you want but it has always been and will always be just a fucking hat.

I mean honestly I wear leather gloves all the time does that have an affect on me? No!

Ladylotus

Nov 1, 2014
I love how the options are:

YES
YES
NO YOU SUCK
YES
EH
YES

Like, you really only needed a 'yes', 'no', and 'eh' option.

Anyways, nowadays fedoras look stupid, mainly because the people who don't know how to wear them can't pull it off to save a life.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
I'm in the camp of its just a hat, an accessory if you will. It all depends on how you wear it, honestly when I see the pics of some dude in jean shorts and a t-shirt sporting a black one, I think it looks kinda tacky, if you're gonna go all out casual like that might as well roll with a colourful fedora, something with stripes possibly cause a black fedora only looks good when accompanied by a snazzy suit.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Ladylotus said:
I love how the options are:

YES
YES
NO YOU SUCK
YES
EH
YES

Like, you really only needed a 'yes', 'no', and 'eh' option.

Anyways, nowadays fedoras look stupid, mainly because the people who don't know how to wear them can't pull it off to save a life.
Pretty much beat me to it.
The option I need? The fedora was a once-nice hat that was ruined by people who thought they could wear one instead of learning to dress themselves.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Honestly it is a hat and that is it.

We can play fashion police or the stereotype hypocrisy all we want it is not like seeing a person like that in real life for like a brief second is going to ruin you day.

I am aware of the stereotype but I have critical thought and seeing as how it is pretty inconsistent and just a "loser male" stereotype catch all I don't put much stock in its reputation online or whatever negativity people attach to it.

And maybe this might be the reason but since I am a black male and in my experience this whole fedora and short hair nonsense is just a mountain out of a mole hill over very insignificant labels and associations.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
At some point in my middle to late teen years I developed a soft spot for the roaring 20's from which fedora's originated and I had a semi romanticized vision of some of the types of men (ie gangsters, mafioso's) who seemed to be most known for wearing them then and in the 30's. But then reality hit me like a brick shit house once I realized what types of people the internet (and in some part society) associated with it today.[footnote] "obnoxious" bronies, internet atheists, neckbeards, losers, and the generally socially awkard[/footnote] After that I stopped wearing and liking them, though having seen how the dregs on the net wear it I can't help but agree that unless you've got the right look or attire paired with it it looks either bad or out of place.

Gospelnut

Dec 22, 2014
Nitpick time!!!!! What most of you call Fedoras are Trilbies. In order to pull off any hat, you need to have your hair cut accordingly. Look at any picture of a guy looking great in a hat, his hair has been groomed with it in mind

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
If you actually matched up your outfit with your fedora it would look alright, much like any accessory. The problem is people wearing them willy-nilly.

Still, it's hell of a lot better than the flat cap.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Fedora's? When with a pinstripe suit yes.
Trilby's? Under no circumstance.
Now I need to ask which you *actually* mean here...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
As part of a greater ensemble, it's fine. A Fedora is very much supposed to be part of a suit. Wearing it otherwise doesn't work. It's not a hat you can wear with anything.

Let's put it this way, if the outfit you are wearing would go well with a baseball cap, wear a baseball cap. Don't wear a formal hat with casual clothes.

beigelibrarian

Feb 15, 2014
In and of themselves, fedoras don't really do anything one way or another to make you more attractive, in my opinion.

That said, >90% of the people I have seen wearing fedoras (or, frankly, any sort of historical headwear) are frankly not terribly attractive, and conforming their image to the various stereotypes associated with them isn't helping their case.

Here's the litmus test: if you're the sort of person who's willing to get pedantic about what kind of hat constitutes a fedora, in 2015, you probably shouldn't wear one, because it won't help.

Javetts Eall Raksha

May 28, 2014
i never understood the internet's obsession with fedoras. it's a hat, just a type of hat, not even a wacky or over-the-top hat.

how has it been assigned to "neck beards" and why was that assignment supported by the internet at large?