Poll: Does anyone still own a standard definition tv?

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
My old CRT broke the other day and now my mum has ordered a pretty standard lcd, but hey! It's HD ready, and I can watch all the films on my laptop on it :)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
A nice little 19 inch HDTV I use for everything here. Sure, it's small. But it gets the job done. Only have an SD cable box, so all the shows I watch are in SD.

I had to upgrade when I realized that games weren't being made with SDTV in mind anymore. And I was working on "college" level income, and my parents made me buy it myself.

That new game "Vanquish" is cool enough to have an SDTV mode, though. Thumbs up for remembering that not everyone is HD!

Only have an SD cable box, so all the shows I watch are in SD.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I have 2 HD TVs. I had an old 27 inch HDTV, but once I brought the monstrous 46 inch home, it got demoted to computer monitor.

tristan_n

Sep 29, 2010
Ha -- I was hanging on to a tube TV until JUST YESTERDAY -- picked up one of the Best Buy house brands, Dynex. The first thing you notice: surfaces (even faces) are suddenly made up of many, many colors, whereas the tube TV made them look like a single color. Watching Henson's The Storyteller -- even though it's a 4x3 DVD, everything has way more texture. The 720x480 of tube SDTV really, really kills that detail. Next up: Wallace and Gromit. Mmmmm, clay......

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Got a 46 inch HD in the family TV room and a 32 in my bedroom for gaming. Right now I'm at college though so my parents bought me a 22 inch HD tv. My parents still have a SD tv in their room though. My dad and I are really the only ones who care about HD. We bought a blue ray player when they were sitll $600. I saw one at Walmart the other day for $150. I hate technology. :(

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
in this house we have several TVs
i have 1 1080p in my room and there is another 1080p and also 1080i in the same house
we have several SD TVs still being used and several more either busted/thrown out or put away since we dont really need them
i mainly use my HD tv when gaming but when just watching something i just settle for the one in the closest room usually being SD

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
voorhees123 said:
Also before i forget, when they sold the X360 and PS3 they kept going on about HD gaming blah blah blah. I wonder how many idiots rushed out and bought a brand new HDTV because of this?
It really does make a noticable different. It's more drastic than you would think.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Hells yeah I have standard definition. I love my little retro TV. Besides, I don't see the point in forking out money for another television when I'm not particularly bothered whether the picture quality is 'good' or 'better'.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Tipsy Giant said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Tipsy Giant said:
I'm a SDTV guy who is waiting for everyone else to go 3d so I can get a HDTV2nd hand on the cheap, first adopters are suckers
You could look at refurbished tvs if you know a place that does that. One of my friends got his 32 inch Vizio 1080p LCD HDtv from a store that refurbishes them. He paid 320 for it, I doubt that even when prices go down you will get a better price than that. Besides I got my 32 Insignia 1080p for 460 with 2 year warranty, I would say if prices went down, it would only go down to about 360 or so. It would only go down lower if you wait ten years, I doubt that you want to wait that long. By that time I bet we will be using virtual reality entertaino visors for all of our visual media.
You'd be surprised, I have seen HDTVs in the 40+ inch range going for 250 squid and that drops each time I have a goose, so I think I should be able to pick up a 32 for about 150 after new years 2011, pretty easily
I think this is the case of me not thinking I might be talking to someone not in the US. So our currency numbers aren't going to match up I don't think. I take it that you are in the UK, I'm not knowledgeable in currency types these days.

You mention 40+ inch HDtvs. Well I just checked a few common places to get them in the US. The cheapest starting at a 40 inch is 450 USD and that will be the price before taxes and warranty which will cost probably another 80 USD. But that is the price for 720p models. If a people want 1080p(which I recommend they might as well get), that price full expense will be at least 600 USD. Now, people can get that about 50 USD cheaper, but that would be if they bought some off-brand that they don't know if it is as good as the name brands they are familiar with.

As I mentioned in my previous post above, I got an 32 inch Insignia for 460 USD, that's including tax and warranty. The warranty was a deal, because I didn't have to pay extra for it, it came with it automatically. The thing is, since I had never heard of Insignia, I would consider it an off-brand. So I kind took a chance when I got it, luckily my gamble paid off, and it has been real good to me. It is even light enough that I can easily transport it back and forth when I take it to a friends house when we do Xbox 360 system links(considering I use to lug around a 27 inch tube tv.) No split screen for us, we bring our own tvs.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've got a 36 inch and bulky-as-hell SDTV. I want to get a new one more for the flat panel than the HD. But HD is cheap now, and I think I discovered SD affecting gameplay for me for the first time. I was in Free Roam in Red Dead Redemption and another player was shooting at me. I could see he wasn't far away on my map, and I could see his name moving around, but I couldn't see him.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Tenmar said:
00slash00 said:
anyway, sorry for that long drawn out introduction. my question is, am i like the last gamer on earth to finally upgrade to HD? i feel like all my friends and every gamer on youtube has a massive flat screen for gaming and watching blue rays.
Sorry man your average consumer actually still owns a SD television even if we are talking about gamers. The cost despite the massive decrease and the ability to use monitors is still too high for a good deal of families.

Think of it this way. In the United States there is still a third of the entire US population that does not have a home internet connection. So forcing an entire community to buy new expensive televisions is still too high of an entry just for a video game console.

Even I still use an SD television. If I had a 360 I could use a VGA port connector for my monitor but even that still technically isn't an HD monitor(5:4 ratio 1280x1024). So for now long live the CRT television!

EDIT: Besides how the heck am I supposed to play Duck Hunt?
i dont mean to give the impression that standard definition isnt good or that people are obligated to upgrade. if it werent for the fact that i cant read any text when i play ps3 games, i would never even consider buying an hd tv. ive actually found it refreshing to see that so many people still use standard definition. it seemed like everyone and their mom has an hd tv now and i was just curious

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
There are two TVs in my house - both are Standard Definition, old-style CRT TV sets, with the biggest sporting a whopping 15.6 inch screen, so that's my main TV. I plan to upgrade to a decent HD 32 inch screen at some point, but I've just never gotten around to it.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Nope still SD, the thing is I want to keep up with every other person on the planet but I can never see the difference.

I have never been able to tell the difference between SD and HD, it doesn't look any clearer or sharper to me ... I think I just want it as a space saving thing.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
voorhees123 said:
Also before i forget, when they sold the X360 and PS3 they kept going on about HD gaming blah blah blah. I wonder how many idiots rushed out and bought a brand new HDTV because of this?
It really does make a noticable different. It's more drastic than you would think.
Most definitely. A couple years ago, before I got my HDtv, I got my XBox 360 Elite with the Halo 3/Fable 2 bundle. I remember how people always were like oh wow Halo 3's graphics are great. I played it on my 27 inch tube tv and I was like, "Meh, yeah it has better graphics than I have played before but it doesn't look cutting edge." Then, my dad went on vacation and asked me to watch his house for the week, and he had just got a 32 inch 1080p Sony HDtv. I hooked up my 360, popped in Halo 3, and I was floored by how much a difference it is. Worlds apart difference. The graphics were so shiny and sleek, instead of seeing globs of green that I took as grass, I could see individual blades of grass. I was thinking, "I wonder if my dad will mind if I steal his tv." Then a year later I got mine.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
Nope still SD, the thing is I want to keep up with every other person on the planet but I can never see the difference.

I have never been able to tell the difference between SD and HD, it doesn't look any clearer or sharper to me ... I think I just want it as a space saving thing.
There is some difference when it comes to watching tv, I don't get a fuzzy picture anymore. You really see the difference if you compare the two with a gaming console. I won't repeat my story about that, see the post I made before this one.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
I really don't care about TV that much, and consequently I don't own one. Not even a SD one. Might buy one some day, but it's pretty much at the bottom of my wishlist at the moment. I do have a 24" full HD LED screen on my desk though on my PC though, got my PS3 hooked up to that as well.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
My TV is one of those old 200 pound bastards. its about 32 inches and resembles a tank. It actually dropped on its face from about 2 feet onto tile flooring and only got 1 scratch which you can't see unless the screen is completely white. It's also about 20 years old.....
they just don't make them like they used to and thank god for that.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
omega 616 said:

There is some difference when it comes to watching tv, I don't get a fuzzy picture anymore. You really see the difference if you compare the two with a gaming console. I won't repeat my story about that, see the post I made before this one.
I was living in a homeless shelter thing and decided to LAN my SD tv with a friends HD tv, we put the TV next to each other and I had to look closely to see any difference.

In the midst of a frantic game playing session I don;t even notice square elbows on older games, I am kind of like those pros who play Unreal with the graphics turned to fuck all, so a nicely decorated wall turns into a a plain gray wall and it doesn't effect anything to me.