Poll: Does Hatred actually look like a good game?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Windcaler said:
This might shock people but I only played GTA4 for about an hour before I put it down and never picked it up again. It played things way to straight for my taste. I havnt even touched GTA 5 either, Ive just got no interest in it after how seriously GTA4 played itself.

That said, for my gangster fun I sort of went over to Saints row the third, and only the third one. Ive never gotten around to playing the earlier ones but the fourth one took things to far in the other direction for my tastes. I like the silly gangster feel of Saints row 3 so thats been my preffered game for that genre since it came out and it continues to be my prefered silly gangster game. Im hoping Saints row 5 gets back to those roots

I guess what Im saying is neither extreme fits for me. A more balanced game is right where I want it to be.
I hated GTA 4 too, for the same reason as you and for the reason stated above. It just felt like a drab boring melodrama with unlike-able characters and shitty gameplay.

You should try Saints Row 2, as it has a good blend of serious and over the top. Yes, it's obvious that you play a self serving raging psychopath. But he/she has a sense of humour and recognize what he/she is and that the world they live in is just as crazy as they are.

Heard the PC version is a bit crap though, so that's something to be wary of.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'm sure it's fine but it could get boring after a while. Like it's fun to go on a rampage on GTA but that's not all you do, plus the way you do it is a lot more over the top.

Plus when most of your enemies don't even fight back it kinda negates the point of an isometric shooter TBH.

The concept itself doesn't even offend me or anything, I just think it's stupid and kind of juvenile.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
They haven't really shown anything in the trailer besides a rather generic looking top down shooter. There don't really seem to be any interesting weapons, or interesting enemies, or interesting environments, or interesting story, or interesting gameplay, or interesting -- well, you get the picture.
Obviously this is only going by the trailer alone, but you know what? If the trailer didn't show anything interesting, then I can't really be blamed for having no interest in the game. If the game was anything more than shooting cops and civilians with a standard array of game weaponry, then they should probably have shown it off. And no, I don't care about the destructible environments that seem to get brought up often when discussing the game. Even though I absolutely love destruction in games, I love it more than virtually any other aspect, Hatred didn't really seem to show anything of note in that department either.

Edit: Okay, I had only seen the first trailer, so I decided to see if they had an actual game-play trailer. The destruction does look rather well done in the game-play trailer, now that they show it off a bit more, but it's not really enough to sell me the game.
On another note, I didn't think it was possible for anything to be more try-hard and edgy than the first trailer, that is, until I saw the second. It doesn't really bode well that the more I'm exposed to the protagonist's dialogue, the more I cringe with embarrassment for the writer and voice actor.

I'm still waiting for this game to pull a bait and switch, and turn out to be some profound work of art with a legitimate point to make. That would be rather hilarious.

Oct 22, 2011
I mean, it could be something in terms of gameplay mechanics, if it was half as good as Hotline Miami(BTW: HM3: Wrong Number is coming out very soon, so hype hype hype).
But even then, Hong Kong Massacre looks more interesting to me.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I see this game as the gaming equivalent of those annoying click bait headlines that plague online news services today. And just like those headlines, I'm not touching it.

Plus, I don't particularly feel like supporting a developer who has staff associated with neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, even if it is 'only' by liking FB posts and wearing t-shirts supporting said groups.

Deny it happening with one staff member, ok. Two, kinda dodgy. Three, and you're out. Particularly when they try to argue that we are just getting it wrong, that those people are 'national heroes' that History misjudged while calling detractors 'commie lovers'.

Fuck this game, and fuck these guys.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ambient_Malice said:
Will it be a quality game? Maybe.
Would I buy it? No.

Because mindless killing games don't appeal to me all that much.
Oh, like COD?

OT: It's using the UE4 so it seems interesting. They haven't really discussed the mechanics much yet so there isn't much I can say. I will buy depending on the technical aspects.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'm going to say maybe. I plan on getting it just to do a video on how laughably grim and dark it is trying to be. I can't help but see Hatred as nothing but complete and utter irony. The deep gravely voice of the main character makes me laugh at how serious the game is trying to take itself.

It's like some 15 year old highschool Goth kid tried making a game.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Not in the slightest. It looks boring, uninspired, derivative (of SOMEthing I'm sure) and, above all, tasteless.

When I say "tasteless", I mean it doesn't even have any proper excuse for the rampage. It feels like a straight manslaughter fantasy turned into a game. It's trying way too hard to appeal to the hardcoretards with its edgy-ness, which people seriously need to get better at condemning.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
mad825 said:
Ambient_Malice said:
Would I buy it? No.

Oh, like COD?

OT: It's using the UE4 so it seems interesting. They haven't really discussed the mechanics much yet so there isn't much I can say. I will buy depending on the technical aspects.
CoD games are all about the story.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Good lord, no. It looks like a shallow, immature attempt to court controversy, and to do its best to validate the invalid complaints of the tabloids about video games.

The story seems to begin and end at 'pointless cruelty'. Perhaps this isn't the case, since we've seen only the trailer, but it's clear that that's pretty much all the developers want us to judge the game on.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
I've had quite the blast with Postal and especially its sequel, but I'm afraid I've outgrown that period almost 15 years ago. Even if I wanted to relive my teenage years I'd rather replay Postal 2 than some shitty Postal 1 knockoff that actually plays this stuff completely straight.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
It looks like crap. I do play a few "rampage" games, but these are games like Just Cause 2 - where the targets of your rampage are not unarmed civilians but armies, or at the very least armed gangers and cops. Trying to stay one step ahead of the enemy as they throw jeeps, helicopters and patrol boats at you is fun even if you're not actually shooting anyone. I doubt the same is true of Hatred.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
It will probably be enjoyable in terms relaxing and getting a few laughs. Even if they aren't really trying to parody attempts at excess grittiness, the trailer at least gave the impression that's what it's going to be. If I can pick it up for a few dollars just to get a couple hours of entertainment out of it here and there, I probably will.

That is, of course, that it actually turns out to be good. If it really is nothing more than an attempt to get money on controversy, that will be apparent quickly after release, and I'd imagine its reception will suffer and I'll be saved a few dollars.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ambient_Malice said:
mad825 said:
Ambient_Malice said:
Would I buy it? No.

Oh, like COD?

CoD games are all about the story.
pfffft, then I guess you're judging a book by it's cover.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
No.

I would call it infantile, but in my experience infants tend to have more taste. It's an artistically decrepit taint, meant to cynically appeal to wannabe-misanthropic 14 year old's, not to mention over-eager crusaders who will leap to the defence of any perceived 'censorship' of anything controversial, without the self-awareness to realise they're being played.

Do such things have a right to be made and sold? Of course they do, and anyone who wants to play it is welcome to it. BUT, those same people should expect me to mask my utter disdain for it.

Ravenier

Dec 16, 2014
As much as the moral guardians who whine and cry about the setting annoy me, what worries me more is that chasing after fleeing civilians to the point that you might as well play the Benny Hill theme in the background might get boring rather fast. I assume there also will be armed enemies (policemen, SWAT units, etc.) in the game, but I dearly hope that at least the latter levels will have you fighting against them chiefly - not because I would mind shooting civilians, but because they offer little in terms of challenge. Ideally, the late game should have you break into heavily guarded military compounds or such where you actually have to make use of destructible environments and so forth because your enemies are completely as capable of killing you as you are of killing them.

To illustrate: What made Postal 2 fun for me was not so much the fact that you could shoot civilians and then play football with their heads (okay, I had my bit of fun doing exactly that), but rather, that you often had to be hellishly careful where to draw your gun because many of the "civilians" would respond in kind. In the POSTAL-mode, -all- citizens would attack you on sight, actually.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
No, it looks fuckin' boring and 2edgy4me.

What the fuck is that shoehorned dig at Wu, above?

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Ugh, no. It looks like some weird cross between what some 12-year-old suburban kid thinks is edgy and what Jack Thompson thinks video games actually are.