Poll: Does pirating a game to test it make it okay?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
crazyrabbits said:
fenrizz said:
Why waste $20 on something that does not work when it can be avoided?
That 's just silly.

Also, it's not about piracy.
In fact, he's not even pirating the game.
You're just posting semantics. As I said before, you can diagnose your computer in minutes easily.
As several other people have pointed out these sites where you can check if the game will run are flawed and do not always give the right answer.
crazyrabbits said:
Using "compatibility" as an excuse doesn't dismiss the fact that this person would be downloading an illegal copy, regardless of ethical intent.
Perhaps not, but since it's a victimless crime it doesn't really matter if it's illegal or not.
The letter of the lawn says it's illegal, but I hardly think the spirit of the law was to deny people the opportunity to check if a system will run said game or not.
crazyrabbits said:
Doesn't matter if it's on your system for 10 minutes or 10 hours - if you took the time to download gigabytes of information just to find out if you can run it or not, you're a fool.
I disagree.
I would rather call the man who spends $20 on a game the may not even work a fool.

Assassin Xaero said:
Really? How isn't it? If I shoot you just to see if you will survive, is it still attempted murder? I had no intent to murder you, but I still shot you. So, if I go to Best Buy and steal a graphics card just to test to see if it will work in my computer, then if it will, I go buy it, that isn't stealing?
Someone gets hurt and/or is physically deprived.
That makes a rather major difference, wouldn't you agree?

Since downloading hurts no one (in the specific example we are discussing) they cannot be compared.
Assassin Xaero said:
You just don't get it, I don't know if you are a pirate and/or just in extreme ignorant denial.
Insults and accusations will get you nowhere.
Assassin Xaero said:
Piracy:

the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.
Piracy is the act of the above, it has nothing to do with whatever reason you make up to justify it. You have to pirate the game in the first place to try it.
That is the letter of the law.
Ask yourself what the intention of the law was.

Was it to stop outright piracy, or to stop someone from checking if a game would run on their system?

Assassin Xaero said:
Again, would it be ok with you if I shoot you just to see if you survive, or if one of my guns could shoot that far and still do damage, or whatever reason I make up to say that me shooting you is perfectly ok and legal?
Of course not.
Going around and shooting people is never ok, as they (as you may know) become hurt and may possibly get killed in the process.

Now, can we stick to the matter at hand and not drag gun violence into this?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
If it ultimately leads to a sale, it's a nonissue I think.

I mean if I'm selling a product, someone steals it and then comes back the next day to purchase it because they liked it so much and want me to keep making more? Plus there's a chance I turn that thief/customer into a fan for life who will buy my next shit.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
As a gamer, I would say that it isn't a bad thing if you are truly committed to only testing the game out and either buying the game if you like it or uninstalling the game after you have no interest in playing it anymore.

As a consumer, it's a big no no. I would say that if you are on the fence about buying anything, you should wait for reviews to come out, go online and see other gamers playing the game and walking through its features. You could also just wait a while for the price to go down and pick up the copy then.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
If they dont put out a demo for the game then I dont think its wrong.
If they have a demo out...then no.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Due to the age of no demos.....
There are times when you just really need to try something for yourself to see if it is something you would like. If you don't like it after an hour of playing, then don't buy it. Otherwise you really should, and are otherwise just an asshole.
The hour thing can differ depending on the price of the game, like a 5 dollar game probably only has that much anyways.

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
This thread has been done so any times.
No its not OK, while you are downloading you are still supporting the others who wont just try it. I'm a hypocrite in this topic as I don't support it but I'm glad I did from time to time, I was going to buy Sniper Elite for example, dodged a bullet there

Prosis

May 5, 2011
I have a modified Intel HD 3000 card, with dedicated 128MB VRAM.

What this means is that it is not in SystemRequirements Lab's database. Thus, it can never compare my graphics card to game requirements. Furthermore, people do not do benchmark tests with this card (they use the Intel HD 3000 with 256MB VRAM). As is such, it is very difficult for me to tell if my computer to run a game.

I don't pirate copies to test (the risk of viruses and stolen info is too great IMO). Generally I'll either borrow a friend's stem account in order to install and test it on my computer (only to see if it works. Not as a free demo). If it works, I'll buy it. If it doesn't I won't.

Sometimes I take a risk, but only if its really cheap, as $60 is an expensive gamble for me at this time. There has been a number of games, such as the Witcher 2, Fable 3, Dark Souls, that I have passed on simply because I have no way to determine if I can run the game.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I'm not going to attempt to force my set of morals and values onto you, make your own decisions about whether or not it's right. I will, however, break it down for you as I think the answer to this question is a personal one.

Assume a person with great self-control who will upon pirating a game and seeing that it functions on their machine, will immediately go buy the product, I don't see this as anything bad, if anything it's a net positive for the developer.

However, assume a person with no self-control, that will end up finishing the pirated copy and then never pay for it, with various justifications that pirates tend to use, not going there, some arguments hold more weight than others, can't cover all of them. That puts you straight into the camp of an outright pirate regardless of your logic for doing so.

I'm aware this is an extreme dichotomy and there are many positions that you could take that occupy the middle of the scale somewhere. My question to you, that you will need to answer honestly before you can then make a call for yourself on this very morally grey question, is "Do you trust yourself?"

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
i'd say it's perfectly fine.

i live in a country where it's perfectly legal to download copyrighted material. i therefore pirate the SHIT out of every game that i'm not sure is worth it's money. if i like it, i buy it anyway, if i don't, i play the downloaded copy instead. so yeah, i utilize that exact mechanism since forever.

not a single cent was lost by the industry because of me doing this btw. whenever i didn't buy a game, i wouldn't have bought it, regardles of it's avaiability for free. if a game was for me personally worth the price they asked, then i bought it.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Here's an idea. Why not get it for PS3?

That's the reason we have consoles. Not everyone has a mid-range desktop. I'm stuck with a laptop as well, so my only avenues are my 360, Wii, and emulation. You're not getting the "best" experience with some games, but when you put the disk in the tray you don't have to worry about starting it up. And if she absolutely has to, buying a new console is cheaper than shelling out a grand for an entry level desktop or $600 for the parts to build her own.

Payday on the PS3 is free if you get a Playstation Plus account, so that may be another factor to consider.

Assassin Xaero said:
As for the murder thing? But I'm not murdering him, I just want to see if my gun will shoot that and still be effective. I have no intent to actually murder him, or even shoot him, I just want to see what a 7.62x39 round will do at 50 feet, but to do so, I'd HAVE to shoot him. Without shooting him, how will I ever know if it would be effective or not? Obviously, the ACTION of shooting him is wrong regardless of why, so no reason I have for doing so could JUSTIFY said action. Get it now?
That's a poor example when you can set up a dummy at a gun range.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
fenrizz said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Again, would it be ok with you if I shoot you just to see if you survive, or if one of my guns could shoot that far and still do damage, or whatever reason I make up to say that me shooting you is perfectly ok and legal?
Of course not.
Going around and shooting people is never ok, as they (as you may know) become hurt and may possibly get killed in the process.

First off, thank you for proving my point about how people on the internet can't comprehend what an example is and have to take it to an extremely literal sense. And yeah, I'm sure I could win any argument I get into by discrediting or strawmaning any example anyone else brings up with whatever comes to mind right away.

Point is, since you people still can't seem to figure it out, if something is wrong it is wrong. Pirating is wrong, no matter what bullshit you make up to say is "right". Just like shooting someone, it is never right. But if you have to continue to make up whatever it is to make yourself feel better about doing things that are wrong, go for it.

RaNDM G said:
Assassin Xaero said:
As for the murder thing? But I'm not murdering him, I just want to see if my gun will shoot that and still be effective. I have no intent to actually murder him, or even shoot him, I just want to see what a 7.62x39 round will do at 50 feet, but to do so, I'd HAVE to shoot him. Without shooting him, how will I ever know if it would be effective or not? Obviously, the ACTION of shooting him is wrong regardless of why, so no reason I have for doing so could JUSTIFY said action. Get it now?
That's a poor example when you can set up a dummy at a gun range.
I swear if I had a dollar for every time that someone can't understand what an example is, or complete miss the entire point of it, I'd be rich. Anyway, that doesn't help. For this issue at hand, just find a game that has the same requirements that you don't have to pirate (so, like a dummy) and see if it runs.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
A Smooth Criminal said:
I hope it's unintentional, but that post makes you look incredibly arrogant and a bigot. It isn't required for people to read every single post in a thread before replying to one.
Please. I'm probably one of the more rational folks in this topic. I don't mind being proven wrong, but when you jump in and accuse me of not reading the OP (which I fully admit to), while not reading the rest of the topic - and my responses - before commenting, it makes you look like a hypocrite.

Also, I'm pretty sure the OP wants to test that the game works at a reasonable quality instead of seeing if the game works at all. It's kind of a pain in the ass to run round trying to find identicle software when they could just pirate the game then give the company their money ANYWAY if the game actually works. The developers don't actually lose any revenue.
I know full well that piracy doesn't automatically equate to a lost sale, but there is no guarantee that they will just pirate it and delete it, beyond the OP's word. I've already said that "compatibility" is a pretty poor excuse to justify piracy. Either do your homework and research it before buying, or don't bother at all. It's at a cheap enough price that even if you do buy it and it doesn't work, you aren't out much anyway.

FelixG said:
I wouldnt bother trying to talk sense into that one, its a lost cause. :p
You haven't bothered answering my responses (which were quite restrained), and you resorted to veiled insults to mask the fact that you don't want to bother admitting you were outplayed. Better luck next time.

fenrizz said:
As several other people have pointed out these sites where you can check if the game will run are flawed and do not always give the right answer.
Fully agree, but that's why it's better to get a range of checks first. Doesn't take that long to do. I used it myself a few years back while getting back into the PC gaming scene.

Perhaps not, but since it's a victimless crime it doesn't really matter if it's illegal or not. The letter of the lawn says it's illegal, but I hardly think the spirit of the law was to deny people the opportunity to check if a system will run said game or not.
I'm fairly sure that "in the law's eyes", intent is meaningless when you're downloading a pirated copy. If it's one excuse or another, the end result is the same - you copied the content, ostensibly spending a chunk of time downloading the entire product, and can play at your leisure. I mean, it's not like other arms of the law - "attempted theft" and "theft" are two different animals, but online piracy is a bit more straightforward in this regard.

Assassin Xaero said:
Really? How isn't it? If I shoot you just to see if you will survive, is it still attempted murder? I had no intent to murder you, but I still shot you. So, if I go to Best Buy and steal a graphics card just to test to see if it will work in my computer, then if it will, I go buy it, that isn't stealing?
Someone gets hurt and/or is physically deprived.
That makes a rather major difference, wouldn't you agree?

Since downloading hurts no one (in the specific example we are discussing) they cannot be compared.
That's a fallacy.

Whether or not there's intent to harm (in this example) is not the issue. It's copying copyrighted material for what could ostensibly be testing compatibility, but could just as easily be intent to distribute or sell. In these sorts of matters (and judging from what I've seen before in other publicized piracy cases), "hurting no one" is not an excuse. You took that property, and you didn't pay for it. Saying, "oh, but I'll pay after the fact" could mean anything.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
fenrizz said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Of course not.

First off, thank you for proving my point about how people on the internet can't comprehend what an example is and have to take it to an extremely literal sense.
No, no, I do understand what an example is.
Problem is, you example does not fit.
I pointed this out to you in the very same post you are quoting from, but you seem to have conveniently snipped that part out.

Assassin Xaero said:
And yeah, I'm sure I could win any argument I get into by discrediting or strawmaning any example anyone else brings up with whatever comes to mind right away.
Did I try to discredit you?
Don't think so, I merely pointed out that our example does not fit the scenario at hand.

Assassin Xaero said:
Point is, since you people still can't seem to figure it out, if something is wrong it is wrong.
No, it is not.
If you believe that the law is the law no matter what, then sure, breaking any law is as wrong as breaking any other.

I however do no believe that.
I believe some laws are more important than others, while some serve no real purpose in our society.
Right or wrong is not black and white.
Assassin Xaero said:
Pirating is wrong, no matter what bullshit you make up to say is "right".
What I'm trying to argue is that what the OP is asking is not really piracy (i.e. getting shit for free).

Assassin Xaero said:
Just like shooting someone, it is never right. But if you have to continue to make up whatever it is to make yourself feel better about doing things that are wrong, go for it.
There you go again with the accusations.
And you are accusing me of trying to discredit you?

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
Instead of a serious answer, I'll contribute something useless:
If I ruled the world, here are my arbitrary rules for people in the OP's friend's situation:

-If there is no other convenient solution to demoing the game on your system, such as using a friend's Steam account etc., then you may download a copy.
-Download traditionally if possible (i.e. not a torrent), so you are not seeding to other pirates. If you must use a torrent, turn off seeding. Yes, you'll be a dirty leecher, but who cares what pirates think? Which you totally are not :p.
-Play the game for no longer than 60 seconds. Cast spells, run around, fire guns, throw grenades; do the most graphically intensive things you can in the beginning of the game.
-If the game begins with a cutscene or in game story, skip through to actual gameplay. If it is unskippable, leave the room for several minutes.
-Do not play for more than 60 seconds. After testing, Alt-F4 out and delete the game.
-Make your purchasing decision.
-If you followed the rules you are not a bad person; If you played even a second longer than 60 seconds or watched the opening story sequences, you are foul pirate scum.
-Pirates report to the Scary Shack for punishment; everyone else disregard this rule.

It'd be nice if Steam did the hour long demo thing like Playstation Plus or OnLive do.

May 17, 2010
If this is just for the purpose of testing if it runs on your computer then I don't have a major problem with it. I think it would be very difficult to avoid the tempetation of not buying the game after having it on your computer but if your friend is dead set certain then okay.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
PreviouslyPwned said:
unstabLized said:
I was trying to convince a friend to purchase Payday: The Heist through steam so that we can play co-op together. However, she has a pretty weak laptop (2 years or so old). She can run some older games, along some F2P games like NFS: World on Medium, or sometimes high, so I did a bit of research to see if she can at least run Payday on minimum settings. After a bit of researching, it seemed like too close of a call, so I suggested that maybe she can, for this once, pirate the game, just so that she can actually test if the game can run with a decent FPS on her computer. She would simply install the game, jump in a game, move around a bit If it was playable, and then uninstall and delete the crack. Then she would immediately buy the game. And from there on, we got into arguments about piracy, if it's okay or not, blah blah blah.

So I ask you this escapists, is pirating okay if you're planning to test a game and then later on, buy it? Is pirating ever okay, under any condition?
Why not just log into your steam account on her laptop, install the game and test it.
No?
Did that later on, but wanted to post this for the sake of argument. :)
Inconspicuous Trenchcoat said:
Instead of a serious answer, I'll contribute something useless:
If I ruled the world, here are my arbitrary rules for people in the OP's friend's situation:

-If there is no other convenient solution to demoing the game on your system, such as using a friend's Steam account etc., then you may download a copy.
-Download traditionally if possible (i.e. not a torrent), so you are not seeding to other pirates. If you must use a torrent, turn off seeding. Yes, you'll be a dirty leecher, but who cares what pirates think? Which you totally are not :p.
-Play the game for no longer than 60 seconds. Cast spells, run around, fire guns, throw grenades; do the most graphically intensive things you can in the beginning of the game.
-If the game begins with a cutscene or in game story, skip through to actual gameplay. If it is unskippable, leave the room for several minutes.
-Do not play for more than 60 seconds. After testing, Alt-F4 out and delete the game.
-Make your purchasing decision.
-If you followed the rules you are not a bad person; If you played even a second longer than 60 seconds or watched the opening story sequences, you are foul pirate scum.
-Pirates report to the Scary Shack for punishment; everyone else disregard this rule.

It'd be nice if Steam did the hour long demo thing like Playstation Plus or OnLive do.
I do like your rules. Wish something like that sort of existed, actually. We actually ended up doing exactly what you posted above, except my friend used my steam account. Literally jumped in the game, opened up a single player game, walked around, shot the guns, messed with graphics,etc. for about a minute, then found out that she can run the game perfectly fine. Then she logged off my account (I told her to keep the game in her library in case she buys it), and today, she bought the game + DLC.

So yes, I do see how people can take advantage of the whole "test" thing, but from a moral view, I guess you're "cleaner" if you actually do only test the game, and not go in 2 hours and then say "Nope. It has a tiny bit of lag.."

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
if you've bought it, you could log into steam on her laptop and download it to see if it works.