Poll: Does sex really sell?

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Well, yes and no. It's not something that in and of itself can persuade me to buy something. When something I buy that I knew before I'd like has it though, then I do like it, yes.

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
The prostitution business isn't dropping off, so I'll have to go with yes.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
i think many people on this forum won't even realise how much it has influenced some of their purchases.
But it has been proven to sell, quite well too.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Yes. It does. Only to the stupid, though.

I actually find sex in a product to be rather annoying and in the way of what I actually pay for (most of the time anyway).

without memory

Jan 20, 2010
it does sell, for males more so

I find it annoying as a female..I have boobs. I don't need to see ten thousand more in on day through advertising...and it for sure doesn't make me like a game more becuase of the chick haveing bigger boob,

it probbally will make me judge the game of being not that great because the chick has gigantic boobs to make up the lack of ingenuity ( This isn't always right but for most times,from what i've seen, it is)

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Yep. For me, it largely depends on the type of product, but, in general, the concept of "Oh, this really attractive person likes this stuff" has a big impact on most people's impulse buys. it's the same way with those old candy cigarettes they used to sell: by getting children used to the physical motion of smoking and associating good memories with their logo (the cartons were emblazoned), the cigarette companies made smokers out of almost an entire generation. By associating their product with eye candy, they increase brand recognition and make shit-tons of money.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Not for me, no.

But for the masses.
Yes
This is what everyone is thinking when they read the question. The real question should be 'who lies to themselves, and who acknowledges his own failings?'

[sup]Yeah, I voted for the boobs...[/sup]

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
It can, it has done a few times on me, Bayonetta being most recent.

Megan Fox used to sell stuff to me, before Transformers, then I saw she couldn't act well, she's lost on me, Sex is a good advertisement, unless you know the product is bad, like Megan Fox

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Yes and no - in films the prospect of an attractive naked woman appearing at some point is an added bonus, but I won't go out of my way to watch crap because of the aforementioned nudity. And in the realm of music, the less the lyrics are about sex, the better!

Using sex appeal to sell me entirely unrelated products is pointless - at best all you've done is make the advertising more interesting, but I don't want to buy whatever it is you're selling anymore than I did before I saw the provocative ad.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Yes and no, just because something got good sales and happened to have an ad involving boobs doesn't mean that sex sells, however I have known people who bought God of War II for the sex minigames.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I rented the sabotuer and bought the dlc; so yea it sells. I was buying it in a funny "haha look at how stupid I am" kind of way though.

JayFox

Nov 6, 2009
"Sex sells" has been proven time and time again to the point that most media platforms use it in an attempt to get at our primitive nature... To me personally I don't buy games for sexual content (probably one of many reasons I didn't buy Bayonetta...) But I do understand that it does increase sales...