Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
It's music it's just not what I'd call good music by any stretch but that's just my opinion.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
yeah, it's music...technically. Do I consider it ACTUAL music? No, not in a million years. Not if when you tap out random notes on a piano with a consistent tempo and organic beat, and it gets called "playing at playing", and then this stuff comes along and is called "da bestest musiks evars!"(direct quote from a friend). No I won't consider it real music. So technically I don't consider it(most of it, as in 99.9999999% of it, same goes for rap) music.

But then again, I'm an asshole that doesn't know anything about music despite playing three different saxes for about ten years now.(sorry about that, again a quote from a friend, I'm still a bit ticked about it.)

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Dubstep is music, and good Dubstep is good music. However, as with anything popular, people will try to imitate it poorly and give the genre or medium as a whole bad name.

While I don't actively listen to Dubstep personally, there are some damn good trailers, AMV's, and other videos and other such things which use Dubstep very well.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It has melody, there for it is music. And that goes for rap as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any thing really amazing from these newer genre's though.

Andropov4

Jan 12, 2012
yes, it's music. Is it good music? Well, that's a matter of personal taste, but if you say "yes" to that question, your taste is bad. Next topic!

Servus

Aug 26, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard dubstep. I thought (and still think) it is a lot more exciting than most electronic music I came across.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
Dubstep is the sound of Slenderman's heartbeat.

Seriously though, it's music. It may not be a type of music you enjoy, but it is by defnition music.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
It depends on what style of dubstep you are talking about.

If it's the original Two-Step British style then I would say yes. I do love me some Burial.

If it's the mainstream American Brostep, then that's debatable depending on the person.
I agree! Burial, Phaeleh, Distance, Kryptic Minds etc are all great, but the mass produced 'remix' genre is very hit or miss... But it is all still music!

Music is just organised sounds... or an organised lack of sound too. It is definitely that!

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Yes, it is music but it is not good music.

That's why I avoid nightclubs cos all they play is this shit...I don't know how the hell you can dance to it!

This seems pretty accurate...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yowsa7d_MLY[/youtube]

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
omega 616 said:
On topic. When I was at school we were taught about musical instruments, among which was not the decks or the computer! It takes absolutely fuck all skill to make dubstep, all it requires is money for the equipment and a taste similar to everybody else's (or a majority at least).

You could spend 1,000 hours perfecting the "song" then all you have to do at a live performance is press play.
But doesn't this also describe game development? You are just sitting at a computer putting all the vertices in the right place using a variety of methods or changing the colour of pixels using a variety of methods. And when you have put many hours perfecting it all you have to do is press play. There is no difference between digital artistry and that of real life. You still are just operating a tool whether made by software engineers or craftsmen and it not how you operate this tool, whether it requires fine muscle control and dexterity or understanding of the techniques in creating assets for games. Music made on a computer is as valid as music made with the vocal chords or brass. Whether you like it is irrelevant.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Of course it's music. Any mashing together of sounds can be called music, doesn't mean there's much of it I actually like but I can't say it isn't music. That would be a silly thing to say.
If Nickelback and Rhianna songs count, then so does any other mashing together of noise.

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
I'm going to further this debate...

People always ask whether Dubstep is music, because they don't like it and want to try and discredit it in some way...

3 different levels of Dubstep, all organised, and all definitely music! All of them required thought and a level of musical understanding to pull off. None of them were written by computers... (Not that that would stop it being music by definition anyway!)

In comparison, other music that nobody questions it's validity:

These pieces are also all written on electronic instruments, and are not disputed whether they are music... mostly because they are less popular... I alike them all, and they are all on playlists on my iPod, but arguably are less musically clever than practically all Dubstep!

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Dubstep reminds me of exactly how my Grandparents described Heavy Metal; Dischordant Noise.

However, because of this view point I can't say it isn't music, that would make me hypocritical. It may not be music I like or by any traditional form, but I can't deny it is music.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Phisi said:
razer17 said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Pandalisk said:
After being quoted many times about my opinion, I can safely say not one of you has changed it.

Knowing how to use a set of equipment doesn't mean it's music, you don't have to get timing or rhythm down so you can perform it on stage ... you just tweek it till it sounds good.

It is in no way like games 'cos you don't get a game, stick it in the console and press play to watch the game play out ... that is a movie.

I can't remember any other argument but suffice to say, they never changed my mind. Playing music on the PS1 is a shit version of dubstep ... all it takes is a similar taste in genre to the majority, to make "good" dubstep.

If you can play an instrument (guitar for example) to make dubstep then peachy, I would consider that music. Sat in front a shit load of sliders and a computer screen doesn't make you a musician ... it makes you a programmer.

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
I love me some Wub. I really do. I play synthesizers so I'm probably a little biased. But what I love more than the Wub, is the hate for dubstep/brostep/nu-house whatever the cool kids are calling it these days.

Remember all the rock bands you've seen live? You can't tell me there havent been any guitarist with a tone that made your ears bleed. I love high-end dubstep productions for the sounds. The skill is maybe not directly visible, but definitely in the production (and I don't even mean songwriting) aspect of the song.

Next we have songwriting. Most dubstep I hear, is just as bland as every punk/rock/metal/-core band out there. Basic songwriting mechanics, often used on a mediocre level. Differend sounds? Oh no! Pinch harmonics, palm-muting, guitar effects? Same deal.

And what's with all the remixes right? Or should I say covers? Because that's basicly what they are. Many bands do their own thing with existing songs, often for worse if I'm to believe the internet.

As for performance. What's a fairly prominent trend with bands these days? Backing tracks. Dang, there goes spontaneity out the window. As for skill, I believe only the drummers have the backing tracks on monitors mostly, though I'm not sure about bands that use in-ear monitoring.

As for performance when it comes to Dubstep: Many artists will use effects real time, and still have to trigger all of their samples. THey also have somewhat of an Master of Ceremony task, meaning they have to hype the crowd up. Stage presence is still an important factor.

IN CONCLUSION

There's just an incredible amount of parallels between "live performance music" and the so called "dubstep" genre. Parallels that go beyond "collection of organised sound" or whatever.

And if you wanny try getting into the hype because that's how you roll, try looking at it like that. Worked for me.

Peace out homies.

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
What is alwo interesting is at the time of writing there is a 5:2 split on people saying it is music:it isn't music. However in the actual posts 99% say that it is music whether you like it or not...

What happened to all the people disagreeing? Let me guess... they don't like dubstep, so are voting no, but cannot make a point because they know full well they are wrong, and realise 'because I don't like it' is not a valid answer... well done them!

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
In comparison, other music that nobody questions it's validity:
Ah, someone who likes breakcore. I've heard plenty of people dispute the validity of that genre as well, ditto the aimbient/atmospheric stuff. Don't agree with them there either, it's certainly music. However, I also don't agree with your statement that the likes of Venetian Snares are less musically accomplished than those dubstep posted chewns (mostly remixes at that).

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
Wow... you didn't actually read those replies at all, did you?

It wasn't likened to games, it was likened to the music in games... which is written and performed on computers... therefore hasn't had a instrument touch it.

Also, most electronic music, including dubstep, is writen on keyboards and synths. You have to know what chords to play, and also what chords work together... yes, even in dubstep there is chord progression, modulation, and a knowledge of time signatures and keys!

Also... sliders and computers may make you a programmer... but you are programming music...!