Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
rvbnut said:
My friends and I have been having a heated discussion whether dubstep is actually music created by musicians or if it is just a bunch of noise mashed together by people with too much time on their hands.

So, what do my fellow escapists think of dubstep?
oh for fucks sake

it is music

it is a sub-genre of electronic music to be presise

depending on ones musical tastes there is actulaly both good and bad dubstep

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
rvbnut said:
My friends and I have been having a heated discussion whether dubstep is actually music created by musicians or if it is just a bunch of noise mashed together by people with too much time on their hands.

So, what do my fellow escapists think of dubstep?
It's not music it's a torturing tool the CIA invented and uses to get information from terrorists.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Redryhno said:
yeah, it's music...technically. Do I consider it ACTUAL music? No, not in a million years. Not if when you tap out random notes on a piano with a consistent tempo and organic beat, and it gets called "playing at playing", and then this stuff comes along and is called "da bestest musiks evars!"(direct quote from a friend). No I won't consider it real music. So technically I don't consider it(most of it, as in 99.9999999% of it, same goes for rap) music.

But then again, I'm an asshole that doesn't know anything about music despite playing three different saxes for about ten years now.(sorry about that, again a quote from a friend, I'm still a bit ticked about it.)
why just say you dont like it..rather than claiming it isnt music? all that does is piss people off and make you sound like one of those music elitists

alsdo rap IS music

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
whiteblood said:
This is too much, Escapist, far too much. I had faith in you, for some reason that I cannot recall, but it was there! Now it lays on the floor like a spent condom: used up, tossed on the floor, and filled with the squishy refuse of a drunken minuteman.

I'd make my case, but I'm sure someone else here has tossed the 'Dubstep lacks talent because it's almost entirely automated' argument somewhere. Guitars, pianos, drums, flutes, cymbals, cellos, violins, violas, basses, tubas, trombones, bongos, xylophones and the human voice each require, talent, precision and finesse to be used to the best of their ability. Next, everyone's gonna cay loading a CD into a player and starting it makes you a musician.

This is it. Tonight, I am giving one more post to finish things off proper, and the Escapist forums and I are done.
your kidding right?

shit music is still shit music REGARDLESS of what tools you use

why the fuck do people say such stupid things about eletronic? in the right hands is awsome and just as valid any other kind

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
omega 616 said:
By extension does fingering a guitar make you a wanker?

Is the person who made your avatar a programmer instead of artist?

Playing music on the PS1 is a shit version of dubstep
What does this even mean, it makes absolutely no sense.

Captcha = fashion victim

Yes, I think we might have one here.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
GoaThief said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
In comparison, other music that nobody questions it's validity:
Ah, someone who likes breakcore. I've heard plenty of people dispute the validity of that genre as well, ditto the aimbient/atmospheric stuff. Don't agree with them there either, it's certainly music. However, I also don't agree with your statement that the likes of Venetian Snares are less musically accomplished than those dubstep posted chewns (mostly remixes at that).
Fair one mate... either do I! :/ That's why I said arguably! Venetian Snares is one of my favourite artists... and his stuff is insanely clever, and very dificult to make. But to most people it just sounds like noise, so to most people is arguably less musical!

And also... Breakcore! :D Where else can you enjoy a tune called: I stole your bag of dried mentural bubbles while you enjoyed double penetration from your husband and dogs penis loal' :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
omega 616 said:
I define anything as art (or in this case music) as something which takes skill to do, such as playing a guitar in time with everybody else in the band.
I dont know what your talking about

why WOULDNT it take skill to create a song using electronic equipmen? unless theres somthing I missed and your a musician then if somone sat you down in front of a studio computer and told you to come up with somthing it would probably sound like shit

there is TONS of shit dubstep, and some good but electronic in general is awsome and I don;t care if can be "played" live..who gives a fuck? I listen to music for music..unless I'm there I dont want it live

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
It depends on what style of dubstep you are talking about.

If it's the original Two-Step British style then I would say yes. I do love me some Burial.

If it's the mainstream American Brostep, then that's debatable depending on the person.
COME HERE LET ME HUG YOU AND GIVE YOU CAKE.
It's sad when people defining Dubstep as that Skrillex shit...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'm not sure if this is dubstep or not..but its fucking awsome

and I'm sorry to anyone with their heads so far up their asses they can't belive anything they dont like has merit

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
I might not like it and avoid it like the plauge but really? This is a question? Ofcourse it's music.
That question can be put to any genre of music in the entire world. Just because you don't like a music genre does not mean it isn't still music. -.-'
Besides most electronic music is composed/produced/whatever-you-want-to-call-it using a keyboard sooo what you're basicly questioning here is if Beethoven was a musician or not.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
omega 616 said:
Wow... you didn't actually read those replies at all, did you?

It wasn't likened to games, it was likened to the music in games... which is written and performed on computers... therefore hasn't had a instrument touch it.
where did you get that idea? that's just not true, lots of game music is made with instruments.
sound familiar?

as for the OP's question... yes. dubstep is music. music is such a broad term that I could bang my head on my desk a few times, record it and I could still call it music.
just because I have never heard any good dubstep (no, that is NOT an invitation to show me your favorites), doesn't mean it's not music.
but really, this debate is kind of pointless. does it matter wether or not something is considered to fit into one box or another? if you don't like it, don't listen to it. if you do like it... well if you're that detirmined to be wrong, who am I to stop you? ;-)

EDIT: youtube seems to have broken my embed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qPFFem6UU there ya go.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Floppertje said:
omega 616 said:
Wow... you didn't actually read those replies at all, did you?

It wasn't likened to games, it was likened to the music in games... which is written and performed on computers... therefore hasn't had a instrument touch it.
where did you get that idea? that's just not true, lots of game music is made with instruments.
sound familiar?

as for the OP's question... yes. dubstep is music. music is such a broad term that I could bang my head on my desk a few times, record it and I could still call it music.
just because I have never heard any good dubstep (no, that is NOT an invitation to show me your favorites), doesn't mean it's not music.
but really, this debate is kind of pointless. does it matter wether or not something is considered to fit into one box or another? if you don't like it, don't listen to it. if you do like it... well if you're that detirmined to be wrong, who am I to stop you? ;-)

EDIT: youtube seems to have broken my embed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qPFFem6UU there ya go.
:( I didn't say all game music... but a lot of game music is written and performed by computers! Including a lot of stuff that sounds like it wasn't! I was just reemphasising someone elses point! I know there is a lot of game music that is actually orchestral, but a shit tonne isn't! Especially older stuff!

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Absolutely. I would even go as far to say it is the heavy metal of dance music. I don't like it but then again a lot of people don't like heavy metal and just consider it noise.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I'm not really a fan of it, and I don't approve of the purely computerised (very technical term) nature of it, but i recognise in it's composition it has just as much a right to be called music as any other genre of electronic music.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Vault101 said:
Redryhno said:
yeah, it's music...technically. Do I consider it ACTUAL music? No, not in a million years. Not if when you tap out random notes on a piano with a consistent tempo and organic beat, and it gets called "playing at playing", and then this stuff comes along and is called "da bestest musiks evars!"(direct quote from a friend). No I won't consider it real music. So technically I don't consider it(most of it, as in 99.9999999% of it, same goes for rap) music.

But then again, I'm an asshole that doesn't know anything about music despite playing three different saxes for about ten years now.(sorry about that, again a quote from a friend, I'm still a bit ticked about it.)
why just say you dont like it..rather than claiming it isnt music? all that does is piss people off and make you sound like one of those music elitists

also rap IS music
Because it isn't music to him, like video games isn't art to many people. Why the fuck does it make him sound like an elitist? He didn't claim to be better than any one. Cut the crap.

The people that get pissed off about others opinions like this are sensitive twits that should be ignored, unless they want to discuss it of course.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
106 people (and probably more eventually) are just stupid. Its not an opinion whether or not its music, its a plain and simple fact. It IS music, theres literally no way you can argue otherwise.

Now, whether or not its GOOD music - feel free to argue about that all day. You can have an opinion about it one way or the other, and any opinion on it isnt wrong or right.

But saying it isnt music is just idiotic, and wrong.

Threeseventyfive

Feb 25, 2012
Yes, and fuck anyone who disagrees.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't music.

"vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony" - Merriam-Webster.com

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nazulu said:
Because it isn't music to him,
it doesnt matter if he or anyone else doesn't like it, it IS by pure definition music (and some of it is bloody good) its one thing to not like somthing...another to say it "isnt music" because if your own set Idea of what is or isnt music

[quote/]like video games isn't art to many people.[/quote]
the definition of art..or what is or isnt "art" is alot more blurry than the definition of music

[quote/]Why the fuck does it make him sound like an elitist?[/quote]
because its the same bullshit people pull when it comes to music "I do not like it therefore it has no merit whatsoever" never mind those who do and also probably know more about music. its elitist because they dislike it so much then it couldnt [i/]possibly[/i] be music...again saying it isnt music isnt the same as calling it crap by refusing to call it music they are somehow trying to discret it r.

[quote/]He didn't claim to be better than any one[/quote]
didn't need to

[quote/]The people that get pissed off about others opinions like this are sensitive twits that should be ignored, unless they want to discuss it of course.[/quote]

or you know...people who weild ignorance and arrogance as a double edged sword with pride are also twits

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Vault101 said:

alsdo rap IS music
Music Elitists? What does that even mean...

And it's not only a matter of not liking it. There are many songs i don't like but i still consider music. Dubsteb however is just so horrible it's hard to link it with a form of art. The way i see it art has a purpose. Whether it is to fascinate, entertain or make people think, it does something. Techno/house/dance for instance is great for partying, some rap songs try to convey a message and "epic" music (like Two Steps From Hell) are inspiring. But dubsteb? It tries to do the same as techno/house/dance but due to how deformed it is even dubsteb fans have to act like it is techno/house/dance.

For me dubsteb is to music what some random painting with three lines on it is to the art of paint.

the definition of art..or what is or isnt "art" is alot more blurry than the definition of music
Oh really:

Definition of music
noun
[mass noun]

1vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion: couples were dancing to the music

So what if i don't see any of these in Dubsteb?