Poll: Dubstep. Music or not music?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I've often wondered if Dubstep is the new metal.

It's viewed as noisy, discordant and occasionally "not music" by the old guard, but the kids love it.

Time will only tell.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
SFMB said:
Pandalisk said:
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence"

So yeah its music, question here should be is it good music?
Like farting, you mean? This reminds me of the Southpark episode where Stan gets older and cynical...
Exactly! but to the tune of something classical!

omega 616 said:
Phisi said:
razer17 said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Pandalisk said:
After being quoted many times about my opinion, I can safely say not one of you has changed it.

Knowing how to use a set of equipment doesn't mean it's music, you don't have to get timing or rhythm down so you can perform it on stage ... you just tweek it till it sounds good.

It is in no way like games 'cos you don't get a game, stick it in the console and press play to watch the game play out ... that is a movie.

I can't remember any other argument but suffice to say, they never changed my mind. Playing music on the PS1 is a shit version of dubstep ... all it takes is a similar taste in genre to the majority, to make "good" dubstep.

If you can play an instrument (guitar for example) to make dubstep then peachy, I would consider that music. Sat in front a shit load of sliders and a computer screen doesn't make you a musician ... it makes you a programmer.
What the deuce? I haven't been to this thread since reading half of page one. You're opinion on what is or is not music is noted and respected.
renegade7 said:
Depends. Is a 52K modem hooked up to an amplifier music?
Some people certainly seem to think so, if not people certainly have gone and made it into one!

Y'know what? the 52K Dial up sound was probably the first Dubstep xD

HorrendusOne

Mar 29, 2011
mikecoulter said:
I can only say thank you for introducing me to this!
To you and all others who commented on that, np I enjoy spreading the love.

and @Burst6 one who critiqued it well I respect your reality but live in my own, besides nothing is perfect, most thing's are down right horrendous imo. And I don't post things everywhere seeing as I only post about once every 2 months.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
It is music. Just because a track is using more "electronic" sounds doesn't mean it is dequalified from being music.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Vault101 said:
Nazulu said:
No, it's not saying he doesn't like it, he said it's not music to him. You just like to generalise.

And that's still not elitist, stop changing the meanings to suit you, remembering he said he only doesn't consider it music (putting words into his mouth now?). Also, whats wrong with saying one thing is better than the other? If your going to tell me you have never said one thing is better than another, then you couldn't be any more full of it.
when someone says "it isn't music [b/]to me[/b]" then it looks pretty obvious to me they don;t like it, you don't refuse to call something you like music

the original OP was essentially saying "I dont like 99% of it" except replacing don;t like with "not music" because how can some of it be "not be music" and some of it "be music"? especially when he mentioned rap since alot of rap is the same in terms of structure

like say if he liked Eminems "lose yourself" but hated Tech nines "Am I a psycho?" (because he said 99% which indicated there was some rap he liked) how can one song be music and the other not be music when they are made using the same principles?

my original point was is why the need to "not call somthing music" I just don't get it..its as if saying "I dont like it" isnt enough...you have to go out of your way to hate on it

theres nothing wrong with saying one thing is better than another..its just elitism is an "attitude", of dismissing the other thing/point of veiw (like saying "I only like great meovies..hence why I will never bother to watch any Anime because cartoons are silly and for kids....or to go even further is to say you only watch Anime subbed because dubs are for stupid people who don't "get" japan)

of coarse we all have our Bias but my point still stands
"You don't refuse to call something music". Um, yeah you can. It's called an opinion. Where at square one again.

Also, you can assume as much as you want, but he didn't say any thing about likes/dislikes. And now your assuming he hates, your out of control mate. Will stop fucking generalising.

And as for last paragraph, even more fucking assuming. Did he say he only liked great music? No, he didn't.

Don't bother replying to this if your going to repeat yourself.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
omega 616 said:
Pandalisk said:
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence"
You could have just described anything from the chatter of a waiting room to the cars passing on a motorway to the sound of typing in an office ...

On topic. When I was at school we were taught about musical instruments, among which was not the decks or the computer! It takes absolutely fuck all skill to make dubstep, all it requires is money for the equipment and a taste similar to everybody else's (or a majority at least).

You could spend 1,000 hours perfecting the "song" then all you have to do at a live performance is press play.

I define anything as art (or in this case music) as something which takes skill to do, such as playing a guitar in time with everybody else in the band. Take art for example, I wouldn't consider a white canvass with different coloured horizontal stripes art 'cos any fucker can do that! I would call the Mona Lisa art 'cos that is a skillful thing.

The only exception I have to dubstep not being music is beardyman, who does something called live looping. He makes a sound, records it, loops it makes another sound, records it, loops it, layers it over the first sound, then repeats till he has a full song going.

That takes skill to do! This isn't live looping but it is harder to do.

While I agree that most of what I've heard of dubstep is not exactly "good"; I think is very stupid to shun an entire genre of music, for any reason.

Let's take pop, for example. Pop it's a genre populated with Lady Gagas and Justin Biebers. But that doesn't mean you can't write a good pop song, something can be poppy and still be art.

To illustrate my point:

Also, just because a song can't be reproduced live, it doesn't mean is any less valid as music or art. Listen to "Revolution 9" or "While My Guitar Gently Wheeps" by The Beatles

Long story short, just because a particular genre is populated with crappy stuff. It doesn't mean there isn't potential for it to become "art". In fact, you just quoted an example.

And by the way, a sufficiently skillful person could make a good song just from the passing of cars or from a computer.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
HorrendusOne said:
So this ISN"t music!?

Why do people do nothing but disappoint me?
That tune is damn good. Dubstep isn't usually my thing, I am a fan of EDM especially trance and progressive (bring back the late nineties/early 2k) but that tune is awesome.

Kizo

Jul 5, 2008
Of course it's music. That isn't remotely debatable.

Whether it's good is debatable, and I happen not to like it. Whether it's a genre is debatable, and I happen to think it isn't. That said, I couldn't possibly claim it isn't music. That would be silly.

umboo890

Aug 19, 2012
You know, I would have never thought I would like any sort of dubstep, then I found James Blake.

DrNeroCF

Feb 28, 2008
Kinda silly to call something 'not music', that just implies that you don't believe that music can be really bad.

Dubstep itself just annoys me, it seems that the only thing separating it from 'techno' is that it's unpleasant.

I think we should be arguing whether or not Dubstep deserves its own genre. All the examples of 'good dubstep' posted on this thread just sound like Dandy Warhols, Doves, Raveonettes, Boards of Canada, or any other music that uses electric mixing and / or over-processing as an identity.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Of course it's music. To suggest otherwise is a complete failure to understand what music is.
Music is simply art in the form of sound and silence.
As with all types of art, it can come in a great many forms. Some you like, some you hate.

You have good art like the Mona Lisa, comic books, movies, rock, etc.

You have dull or annoying art like wallpaper, technical diagrams, advertising logos, rap, country music, etc.

And then you have the weird in between stuff that throws people off, like modern art, the jingle that Windows makes when it starts up, dubstep, techno, or cereal mascots.

Art, and music by extension, are just "creative products". It doesn't matter what people think of them in the end.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nazulu said:
"You don't refuse to call something music". Um, yeah you can. It's called an opinion. Where at square one again.
you chopped my quote...I meant "you don't refuse to call somthing music if you like it"

[quote/]Also, you can assume as much as you want, but he didn't say any thing about likes/dislikes. And now your assuming he hates, your out of control mate. Will stop fucking generalising.[/quote]
then what the fuck did he mean if "liking/disliking" somthing had nothing to do with it? what does it mean if you say you refuse to call somthing music?

and what am I assuming he hates? the "rap" thing? that was an example of how the logic made no sense to me..I have no idea what he likes/dislikes in rap

[quote/]And as for last paragraph, even more fucking assuming. Did he say he only liked great music? No, he didn't.[/quote]
thats not the kind of things people "say" out loud..its the kind of this people imply when talking about music, again I was just stating a general example...not to apply to him in particular

Redryhno said:
I figured that was implied in my post with "technically it is music, but I don't consider it music if *comparison of dubstep to random key hitting on a piano,etc,etc.*", reading between the lines is a priceless skill. In addition, I also said that there's a very little that I can listen to, thank you for your time, and be sure to use Music Elitist Industries for your next opinion call on how we should do business.
this argument just got hijacked and I have no Idea where its been taken

I think my original point was "yeah technically music, but not music to me" sounds kind of like an oxymoron

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
I studied music for a few years... loosely dubstep is music but my personal opinion is if the instruments are not under these categories, it is not music, the classes are Wind(including voice), Brass, Percussion and stringed.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
GoaThief said:
I think it's because nustep (dislike the term brostep, it's not exactly accurate) has largely got big thanks to the internet and the USA's re-embracing of electronic music in general.

Of course it's music, you may not like it -I'm not a big fan of nustep- but it's certainly not anything else but music. It'd be more interesting to hear if people regard the following as music;

Ok I don't feel safe in this thread anymore. Everytime I scroll down, she keeps popping up because of people quoting you. What's worse is that I'm causing it too! I-I, I just...I need to get away from this place. Oh yeah, dubstep is.....fuck it I need a drink.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:
w9496 said:
It's just as much music as making fart noises with your hands and armpits.

It could be called music, or it could be called a semi full of keyboards and drums driving off of a cliff for 3-5 minutes.
I question your ability to hear melodies. Are you tone-deaf, perchance?

Be offended by that question all you want, but it's no more offensive than claiming that dubstep isn't music simply because you dislike it.

<youtube=cR2XilcGYOo>

Listen to that. I don't mean sit there going "BLAH I HATE THIS", I mean actually listen to it. There's a strong sense of melody (simple as it is), and the "wubwub" is used to enhance it, not bury it. It's everything music needs to be. If you can't hear it, seriously consider the possibility that you're tone deaf.
I hear the melodies. I am not tone-deaf. I've played 2 instruments for the past 8 years.

I never said that it wasn't music. My comparisons were drawn because I simply don't enjoy the music, but I actually accept it as music.

I don't like the fact that it is actually music, but I deal with it anyway.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Vault101 said:
Nazulu said:
you chopped my quote...I meant "you don't refuse to call somthing music if you like it"

[quote/]Also, you can assume as much as you want, but he didn't say any thing about likes/dislikes. And now your assuming he hates, your out of control mate. Will stop fucking generalising.
then what the fuck did he mean if "liking/disliking" somthing had nothing to do with it? what does it mean if you say you refuse to call somthing music?

and what am I assuming he hates? the "rap" thing? that was an example of how the logic made no sense to me..I have no idea what he likes/dislikes in rap

[quote/]And as for last paragraph, even more fucking assuming. Did he say he only liked great music? No, he didn't.[/quote]
thats not the kind of things people "say" out loud..its the kind of this people imply when talking about music, again I was just stating a general example...not to apply to him in particular

Redryhno said:
I figured that was implied in my post with "technically it is music, but I don't consider it music if *comparison of dubstep to random key hitting on a piano,etc,etc.*", reading between the lines is a priceless skill. In addition, I also said that there's a very little that I can listen to, thank you for your time, and be sure to use Music Elitist Industries for your next opinion call on how we should do business.
this argument just got hijacked and I have no Idea where its been taken

I think my original point was "yeah technically music, but not music to me" sounds kind of like an oxymoron[/quote]

Doesn't make a difference, refusing to call something music is a personal belief. A fucking opinion. I'm not repeating the obvious again.

Your first question doesn't make any sense. When someone refuses to call something music, it could be because it's just not melodic to them or not in a traditional sense. They could still even like it.

As for your second question, heres a quote from you -
my original point was is why the need to "not call somthing music" I just don't get it..its as if saying "I dont like it" isnt enough...you have to go out of your way to hate on it.
And your making assumptions again, what a surprise. "Not the kinda things people say out loud", well shit. You must have been talking to him somewhere else to catch he was implying that he's an elitist. Give it up.

I'm not going to even bother after this. From what you just said to Redrhyno, you really have no idea. You're just one of those sensitive preachers that should be ignored.