Poll: EA being friendly?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
OK, we've all noticed the shift in the tides lately.

It first began when EA, the company we've all gamers have grown to hate, announced the "Play 4 Free" model, meaning it would release certain games that could be played for free. Four have been announced so far, and to my surprise, they actually look pretty good. I was in the beta for Battlefield Heroes, and saw for myself that it was a solid game. Strange, considering it's EA the lord of all evil.

As if that wasn't strange enough, EA then picked up Brutal Legend, Double Fine's brand new IP, after it had been dropped by Activision. I think this may be the first time I've ever seen EA take interest in a unique game. However, at this point, I didn't care. I was just happy that, one way or another, the game was going to get released. Then it gets really strange.

This happened [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93197-EA-Hosting-Panel-on-Homophobia-in-Gaming]

So what has EA been doing as of late:

-releasing games for free
-saving Brutal Legend
-helping the gay community

What on earth will they do next? Hand out copies of The Sims 3 to the homeless?

My friends, something has gone terribly wrong.

What do you make of this?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I never understood why everyone said EA was so evil in the first place. I've never had a problem with them.

Ormick

Jan 7, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Internet Kraken said:
I never understood why everyone said EA was so evil in the first place. I've never had a problem with them.
Ever heard of SecuROM?
That had no impression on me.
Ever heard of games that are bland shit? EA is behind most of them.
Anyway, after hearing about EA picking up Brutal Legend, I have abandoned hope. We all know what happens to studios that EA takes interest in. If the words "Milked fucking dry." don't spring to your mind, then you need to get your head checked out.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Ormick said:
Internet Kraken said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Internet Kraken said:
Ever heard of SecuROM?
I just ignore them. Just because a company makes a game I don't like it doesn't mean they are the digital Antichrist.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Simple. Activision has simply become so evil that EA has shifted its ground in order to bolster a more favorable image and destroy Activision's competition by making a good move for every bad move Activision makes.

Though, I've never had much of a problem with EA to begin with. They were a profit-oriented company, sure, like any company, but considering that they've released some risky quality titles in the past year or so, they are partnered with my favorite developer Bioware, and such, I did support them monetarily, because I want my developers to succeed.

darktheif28

Nov 11, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Ormick said:
Internet Kraken said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Internet Kraken said:
Ever heard of SecuROM?
I just ignore them. Just because a company makes a game I don't like it doesn't mean they are the digital Antichrist.
exactly

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I never hated them I disagreed with some of thier policies (like Securerom) but at the same time I understand how they might feel. Pirates are stealing from them and would like to stop it. Yes STEALING or taking a product without paying for it if that makes you feel better. Unfortunately they ended up screwing thier own paying customers more than they did stopping the pirates.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Internet Kraken said:
Ormick said:
Internet Kraken said:
Ever hear about how... Nope, I got nothing. I'm with you on this one. Sure, they may not be the best company in the world but I believe they are good at being a company and making money.

Although I will hold them responsible for Spore despite any proof that it wasn't solely their fault.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
No, EA is not being friendly. EA is a huge publisher and does not want to be your friend. It only cares about dollars. What you are perceiving as 'friendly gestures' is just clever marketing.

Ormick

Jan 7, 2009
I hate EA because they get such great ideas, but their policies (ludicrous deadlines, numerous self-defeating layoffs) tear any redeeming qualities their games MIGHT have had to shreds. They then proceed to defecate on said shreds while having a hot wank. That is why I hate EA.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
What on earth will they do next? Hand out copies of The Sims 3 to the homeless?
Make that Dragon Age Origins and I'm moving into a cardboard box...I'll save on heat and gas anyway

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Ormick said:
I hate EA because they get such great ideas, but their policies (ludicrous deadlines, numerous self-defeating layoffs) tear any redeeming qualities their games MIGHT have had to shreds. They then proceed to defecate on said shreds while having a hot wank. That is why I hate EA.
This is just juvenile, learn to express opinion in a more mature manner.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Ormick said:
When exactly did they do that?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think EA realised that being insensitive to their consumers was not only wrong, it was bad for money... I mean, business... I mean, public relations.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
I've never had a problem with EA the publisher, as I just don't like the games they publish.

Although I do like this "It's a SPY!!!" choice.

EA's zappin' mah wallet!

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
We've all been zapped to the bizarro world where we will have to where shoes on our heads and condoms on our noses!