Poll: Empire or Stormcloak?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Haxxle said:
I have sided with the Empire largely because they bailed me out of jail twice; once in Morrowind and again in Oblivion, and perhaps Skyrim since I've sided with the Imperial Guard during the escape from Helgan.
You could also argue that they wrongly imprisoned you twice and tried to execute you once... so really you should side with the dragons :p

OT: ive not picked a side yet, mainly because both sides seem wrong, the stormcloaks are narrow minded racist terrorists and the imperials are brutish tyrants while at the same time being puppets for the elves.

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
Imperials. Not just because I tend to align myself with the Empire in 99% of settings, but because, while overzealous, at least the Empire aren't xenophobic. They are doing their best to protect Skyrim and ALL it's citizens, while, as a Breton, I'd get most likely be exiled or killed after I helped the Stormcloaks rise to power.

In this battle of two evils, I clearly see one as greater then the other. (Though that's mainly due to person roleplaying) I will, however, rob from the Empire at a moments notice,a thief with morals is still a thief.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I just told an imperial legate that i "found" the armor I'm wearing. It's full Daedric, and i can get away with "I found it". Dumbass Imperials.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
JoesshittyOs said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
I am not very far in the game...I'd like to join Stormcloak...but when I see groups randomly I kill both factions. Did i mess something up? Can I not join either now.
You may have. Go to Windhelm if you want to join the Stormcloaks (not sure how you join the Empire). Speak to Ulfric or the other guy with the helmet made of an animal.

If there's no option to ask to join, you may have screwed up, though I doubt Bethesda designed the game like that.
you go to general tallius in solitude, but he might remember you from the choppin' block. he won't care though, cause every solder counts.

OT: stormcloaks, the empire is under the thalmor's thumb, but only because they would be destroyed if they fought back. i see that they both have the right mind, but if the legion wins, humans are doomed to be elf-slaves to egotistical altmer, and it will be like before when white gold tower was owned by the elves. remember knights of the nine?

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
Stormcloaks, The empire are pathetic puppets of the elves.
They deserve to die just as the elves deserve to die.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
On my current playthrough I'm planning on joining the Empire. I can forgive the Empire for trying to kill me seeing as it was just 1 person and there was another trying to convince her not too, but I can't really forgive a bunch of racists.

GeneralChaos

Dec 3, 2010
Definitely Empire. They lost the war, certainly, but a divided Skyrim will just get smacked down even harder. Stormcloaks are short sighted religious nuts, while the Imperials are dutiful long-term thinkers. Besides, the Empire has the best chance of beating the Thalmor now that they've got a PC on their side.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I don't have the game yet, but does any one know if it's possible for me to oppose both sides?

I haven't seen a answer yet that come across as someone opposing both sides, just remaining neutral.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
The Imperial Army, the Stormcloaks are pretty much just Skyrims answer to the BNP- myopic bigots taking advantage of a bad situation to further their own agendas.
Im sacking Windhelm tonight.

The Empire may of gone to seed, but they will be needed when the Thalmor strike.

TriggerOnly

Oct 18, 2010
Stormcloaks. I think there both dicks, but Stormcloaks are sticking it to the man! My alliances is not really with them but, I just want to get back at the Imperial for trying to kill me for no good reason. Btw I am a Imperial... I mean come on, you would have thought they would let me off!

Mar 30, 2010
TypeSD said:
Skyrim owners! Are you fighting for the Empire or the Stormcloaks? I'm beginning to question several of my own methods, as during the stormcloak campaign I've turned into some sort of cross between a terrorist and John McLane. Seriously, I just killed an entire city's worth of corrupt guardsmen. On medium difficulty.

Then I took out a fort of Imperials (Liberate the Reach), who hadn't actually done anything wrong, yet. And were as far away from the front lines as it was possible to be whilst still technically living in Skyrim.

[sub]Once you get Daedric armor, I think it's a good idea to turn up that difficulty[/sub]
A city of corrupt guardsmen?
Markarth, I take it?
Anyhow, I haven't decided yet. My character concept is a Dunmer Battlemage in the service of House Redoran, sent to Skyrim to observe the attempted uprising against the Empire. My initial thoughts were to join the Thalmer on the idea that Morrowind would support a new Merethic Empire, but despite all my help they still tried to kill me. Obviously the Thalmer are Skyrim's Sixth House. So then I was left divided: do I support the rebellion, allowing a nation to escape the domineering grasp of the Empire that subjugated my homeland, or do I support the status quo? On the one hand it would seem an easy choice (rebellion), but freeing the Nords would unleash the ancient enemy of the Dunmer, so do I instead ensure that the Nords remain downtrodden under heel of the Empire and are thus less of a threat to Morrowind? I have yet to make up my mind, although I'm leaning towards rebellion - in no small part due to the large Dunmer population in the rebel city of Winterhold.

And in case you haven't guessed, I'm an old school roleplayer, who asks himself "what would my character do?" as opposed to "what would I do?". My next character concept is for a Breton Knight, who will no doubt support the Empire, but for now I'm managing my conflicted Dunmer.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I don't want anything spoiled since I'm not far in the game, though I am level 28, I've mainly been exploring the game. Quests come second, but I am part of the Stormcloaks. They have ideals, that I can get behind.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'll go wherever the money and exp. will lead me.

However, in my last play session I got drunk of my ass and sexually assaulted the statue of Mara... And I think I got married, too. Still haven't figured out all the pieces yet.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
I think the Intro to the game really skews what side most people will pick. You have the other prisoner with the cool voice ragging on the Empire like a bauws and your about to be excuted by the Empire.

I haven't picked a side yet, but i'm heavily skewed to Stormcloak. If only so I can have shouting matches with Ulfric.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I can't choose either side really.

As an Argonian, lore-wise the Stormcloaks wouldn't have let me in, but the devs let you anyway since.. they can't withhold a great deal of the games story from players playing Argonians or dark elves (though they could have wrote in that someone feeds you the missions unofficially)

After seeing the way they treated my people and the dark elves in game I decided not to join them anyway.. but my character is so incredibly bitter about the attempted murder at the start of the game.. the completely pointless 'not on the list? dunno who you are? Oh well go ahead and be killed anyway.. we're prioritizing you over all the stormcloaks and Ulfric because.. y'know'

Its just so incredibly silly. I've played through the start three times, and each time it fills me with more rage. I went with the Imperial guy on the last play through and he doesn't even apologize, just says 'yeah well you've earned your pardon in my book' excuse me? YOUR pardon? You are the ones who committed crime against me, I had done nothing to be pardoned for! You should be seeking MY pardon!

Anyway, I may go see the Imps to see where their questline goes, but I just can't join them either.

Honestly the beginning of the game is just so badly wrote as it completely paints the Imps in the worst negative light and makes the Stormcloaks seem the intended choice. They were going for the blank slate thing, but they went with the imprisoned for no reason thing again. They should have made the player be part of a small crowd of onlookers, that would have been a much better blank slate that didn't paint the players perceptions too much.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
I am not very far in the game...I'd like to join Stormcloak...but when I see groups randomly I kill both factions. Did i mess something up? Can I not join either now.
You may have. Go to Windhelm if you want to join the Stormcloaks (not sure how you join the Empire). Speak to Ulfric or the other guy with the helmet made of an animal.

If there's no option to ask to join, you may have screwed up, though I doubt Bethesda designed the game like that.
Go to Solitude to join the Empire. Felt like the only true choice for a High Elf ^^

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
I'll copy and paste from the usergroup I just posted this in. My character is a Nord by the way.

My thinking so far on the matter (possible very minor spoilers but I doubt it seeing as I'm only 2 hours in or so)

Stormcloaks:
Pros: Fighting for Skyrim's, their homeland, independence.
Cons: Racist bastards
Discussion:
So the racism thing bugged me a bit. Then I realised that it is their homeland, if they do not want anyone but Nords in their homeland who has a right to say otherwise? They were conquered by Imperials years ago they did not voluntarily hand over their country by democratic vote.

Plus there's the fact that the Elves are actually the enemy you know. There's war brewing and the Elves are looking to invade Skyrim, in that context it's understandable. Germans were looked on with suspicion before and during both great wars as potential spies, infiltrators, potential saboteurs and other ne'er-do-wells.

They want the right to worship Talos their ancestral God, the imperials have decreed harsh punishment on anyone doing so.

Also the guy at the start in the cart did a fair job of selling me their cause and actually seemed pretty noble.

Imperials:
Pros: Defending everyone regardless of race
Cons: Overly bureaucratic, totalitarian fascists, stagnant.
Discussion:
The Imperials....they offer protection to all their inhabitants regardless of race and yet persecute anyone who doesn't follow their religious doctrine, edicts or otherwise falls out of line.

Your character was about to be executed for nothing more than crossing the border into Skyrim. Her/his name is not on the list yet the captain decides to kill you anyway along with another non-stormcloak (the horse thief). I thought maybe this was just an over-zealous captain but nobody speaks out against it. On the other hand they are hunting a guerrilla force in its homeland and they're just using similar tactics to USA-Vietnam or Early Britain/Northern Island. They don't know that you're not an important stormcloak, better to kill you and be sure no?

The Empire is really all that is holding back the Elves but it is stagnating, they've decided that the previous Emperors were not divine, that dragons and dragonborn are only legends and they're losing ground left right and center to secessionists.

Can they really hold back the Thalmer indefinitely or would a newly freed Nord-land be better for both parties?

In short: I'm confused; justified racism or institutionalized fascism?

Edit-I'm erring towards Stormcloaks at the moment though.