Poll: Empire or Stormcloak?

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Stormcloaks. That... thing isn't the Empire, not since the last Septim died. It's just a weak husk of it's former glory with disgusting Thalmor scum as the puppet masters. Yes the Dunmer in me hates those Nord bastards but anyone who cuts down the Altmer's Imperial lapdogs are friends of mine.

That is until I roll a new character and join the Legion. You know how it goes.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
TypeSD said:
Skyrim owners! Are you fighting for the Empire or the Stormcloaks? I'm beginning to question several of my own methods, as during the stormcloak campaign I've turned into some sort of cross between a terrorist and John McLane. Seriously, I just killed an entire city's worth of corrupt guardsmen. On medium difficulty.

Then I took out a fort of Imperials (Liberate the Reach), who hadn't actually done anything wrong, yet. And were as far away from the front lines as it was possible to be whilst still technically living in Skyrim.

[sub]Once you get Daedric armor, I think it's a good idea to turn up that difficulty[/sub]
I went Stormcloak, partly because I'm curious as to how the game handles the whole rebellion thing, and partly because I felt like I should on account of the fact that I slaughtered thousands upon thousands of guards in Oblivion.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
erto101 said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
I am not very far in the game...I'd like to join Stormcloak...but when I see groups randomly I kill both factions. Did i mess something up? Can I not join either now.
You may have. Go to Windhelm if you want to join the Stormcloaks (not sure how you join the Empire). Speak to Ulfric or the other guy with the helmet made of an animal.

If there's no option to ask to join, you may have screwed up, though I doubt Bethesda designed the game like that.
Go to Solitude to join the Empire. Felt like the only true choice for a High Elf ^^
As a Nord, I spit in your general direction.
Oh yeah? As a High Elf mage, you can suck on my fire balls!
Anyway I also have a Wood Elf who's fed up with the Empire, and just wants to spill their guts.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
The Empire as it is in Skyrim disgusts me. I really wish it would not even be called "The Empire", because THAT Empire is nothing like it once was.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
Well I rolled Imperial, because I'm boring like that (heavy armor and 2h sword focus too, for extra boringness), so I'm going with the imperials. It kinda seems to make sense anyway since I feel the empire should be united against those damn dirty elves >_>

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
So... no Wild Card this time around. And I can't side with the
Snow Elves either, because that would be a really improbable and bad idea
. D'aww. Guess I'll see which works better.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The Empire is the only hope against the Aldmeri Dominion.
Stormcloaks are a bunch of xenophobic jerks.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Fagotto said:
deckai said:
Fagotto said:
Well... that actually really changes my mind about who to side with. I mean... that kind ruins one of the reasons I would have sided with the Stormcloaks over the Empire.
Well, keep in mind, that's what I discovered so far, I haven't played trough, so maybe there are things that change that. That's why I still haven't decided on who to support in the end.
Well... at least this time through I'm gonna jump over to the Empire. I was kinda wary of the Stormcloaks anyway since my character is a Dunmer and they really don't like Dunmer XP
The book doesn't say he's a sleeper agent, it just says they consider him an asset and they feel his rebellion advances their overall goals.

The Inquisitive Mug

Jul 11, 2008
I'm on the fence. Stormclocks were nice to me in the beginning, but then they randomly attacked me in the caverns while I escaped the city. The only way I would join the Empire is if I could find that ***** of a guard who ordered my execution in the start of the game and kill him/her. Does anyone know his/her name, or if you ever meet him/her again?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
DracoSuave said:
Stormcloaks.

The empire isn't the same empire in Oblivion. They allowed the abolishment of the divinity of Tiber Septim, which is the complete abandonment of their history. They through the Blades under the bus. They spat on the sacrifice Martin made to protect the kingdom from Mehrunes Dagon.

Good of the empire to abandon its Dragonborn... oh hey, what a time for dragons to come back!

As for being xenophobic against elves... well... the elven nation IS the enemy. And they ARE up to no good, them elves.
These were exactly might thoughts as well. But when I finally got the the Ulfric's great hall, I listened to a conversation between Ulfric and his best man, and I got the huge feeling like Ulfric was more of a warmonger than a leader of the people. He talked of attacking and claiming cities for no other reason than the fact that they were in his way of taking the Imperial-based city of Solitude.

It was around the time where he mentioned attacking Whiterun for no other reason than because the Jarl was more concerned with the impending dragon invasion rather than the Civil War that I began questioning everything. After all... I live in Whiterun, and I had made lots of friends there. Good people who would defend their city regardless of who was attacking.

I haven't played my main for a few days now just for the reason of indecision.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Souplex said:
The Empire is the only hope against the Aldmeri Dominion.
Stormcloaks are a bunch of xenophobic jerks.
Those will be my reasons for siding with the empire when I get around to dealing with the issue. If the empire falls apart he dominion will just gobble up the left over pieces one by one.

If I ever get around to it. So far my character is level 28 and has only just met up with the greybeards. I'm having far to much fun exploring the world, doing random quest, helping random holds, clearing random dungeons and doing the College of winterhold quests.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
I'm on the fence right now. I can see the reason for joining the empire, seeing as only a revived empire could hold back the Thalmor (and yes, they're plotting to take over). On the other hand, the ineptitude of the empire cost them dearly in the war, and now Skyrim is suffering for it. The Stormcloaks have a valid point, but isn't it possible that the worship restrictions of the peace agreement would be nullified if the empire regains its strength. Plus they're dicks, though that describes the typical imperial as well. Dunno, I'll probably go with the empire, if only to punch a few high elves in their smug faces.

Yeah...Skyrim made me realize how horribly racist I am against the Altmer, even though I usually play as one. Fucking smug jaundiced bastards...
Wow, I better get out of this thread... that's the third unmarked spoiler already, and still the first page. Perhaps I should eschew Escapist Magazine altogether until I have seen 100% of Skyrim...

Foxpack1

Dec 23, 2010
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Foxpack1 said:
When you think about it, the Stormcloaks are definetly the bad guys as the parallels they have with the Nazi's is quite shocking.

Angry with a peace treaty they were forced to accept: Versailles/White-Gold

Hates minority groups: Jews,Slavs,etc/Non-Nords

Will make the nation great again.

Charismatic leader and ex-soldier who claims to be doing things for his ideal people: Hitler and Aryans/Ulfric and the Nords.

Attempted overthrow of elected government: Munich Putsch/Stormcloak rebellion.
The peace treaty that also removed the Imperials balls(disbanded the mages guild and removing battle mages from the Imperial Legion) thus leaving them an easier conquest for a rebellion against the Thalmor; Skyrim still has its college. The ban of Talos is because the Thalmor don't recognize him as THEIR ancestor and therefore cannot be a god(meaning only elves can be gods woah more racism) and while it is big issue i think having an independent college free to grow from possible intervention is a good thing. Dominion destroyed Imperial magic giving them the MAJOR uperhand so any hope of return to any civility is to fight them with magic.

No comment on the racial issue here; aside from the differences are one nation of this people is trying to put us under their boot. Its a human defense mechanism; we distrust different peoples especially when we don't know who we can trust. Not excusing it but its understood.

Charismatic? Good god have you met Ulfric? hes a dick.

Overthrows of the government happen in all rebellions; only thing here is that they were sold down the river for working to take a city back from the forsworn; so it could be a haven for talos worship. Last i checked the nazis had no noble reason for their insurrection.

Firstly I never said that the treaty was fair, nor that the Thalmor wern't a-holes.
Secondly there's a difference between mistrusting outsiders and treating them as lesser beings.
Thirdly I got the impression that Ulfric was meant to be this charismatic inspiration to the people.
Fourthly I never said the nazis had a noble reason for the putsch, they did it for their own self-interest, as the Stormcloaks are doing.