Poll: Evil Facebook

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I've never had one, and I never will. The only people I would befriend are the people I talk to every day anyway.

I refuse to pretend to be friends with people just to be a part of the social networking craze.

I can't stand those people that add the people that nodded to them while they were walking down the hall in highschool 6 years ago. They're not your friends. You're not cool because you have 200+ friends on Facebook, with only 6 of them being your real friends.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
Glerken said:
linkvegeta said:
tomtom94 said:
linkvegeta said:
tomtom94 said:
linkvegeta said:
I don't know if its me or what, but i can't stand Facebook anymore, is it the fact that all your family members are friends and when you make a funny comment or something and your talking with your buds on Facebook when all of a sudden your parents join in and ruin everything?
This is why you don't add your family on Facebook. Social and family lives should be kept separate for this very reason.
But yeah, it was may family who got me on it in the first place, if i delete them off of my friends list they get all pissed at me like i hate them or something and make me re add them......
Get an alternate account?
Oh boy that would be last thing i do, i don't like face book and would rather not use it, the only reason i do is because of certain people that i would not have contact with any other way.
You can block certain friends(Your family) from seeing your updates and posts, while not deleting them off your friends list.

I don't see why people think facebook is bad. You can block the spam crap in about 4 seconds, and it's really easy to get in touch with and talk to friends.
I though blocking them was to block them completely.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
linkvegeta said:
Glerken said:
linkvegeta said:
tomtom94 said:
linkvegeta said:
tomtom94 said:
linkvegeta said:
I don't know if its me or what, but i can't stand Facebook anymore, is it the fact that all your family members are friends and when you make a funny comment or something and your talking with your buds on Facebook when all of a sudden your parents join in and ruin everything?
This is why you don't add your family on Facebook. Social and family lives should be kept separate for this very reason.
But yeah, it was may family who got me on it in the first place, if i delete them off of my friends list they get all pissed at me like i hate them or something and make me re add them......
Get an alternate account?
Oh boy that would be last thing i do, i don't like face book and would rather not use it, the only reason i do is because of certain people that i would not have contact with any other way.
You can block certain friends(Your family) from seeing your updates and posts, while not deleting them off your friends list.

I don't see why people think facebook is bad. You can block the spam crap in about 4 seconds, and it's really easy to get in touch with and talk to friends.
I though blocking them was to block them completely.
You can block them completely. Or you can go to privacy settings, customize settings, and then choose custom for whatever options you want and you can individually block people from seeing things like your posts, while still having them added to your friends list.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Facebook is all about only being friends with the right people. I'm not friends with a thousand people because I simply don't know that many people. Are you friends with somebody that you only met once and will likely never meet ever again? Delete them. They're not gonna know. I'm serious, just go through your friends list and have a serious clear out. And if you don't want to have you parents as your friends on Facebook then just explain that to them. Just because you're not 'friends' on Facebook doesn't mean you hate them.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah. I hate how little control I have over my friend list and what I do while on it. The worst part about it is that it's mandatory though.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'm always on facebook. -.-

I seriously think I have some small addiction to it. Because I'm either on it on my phone or my laptop. o.o Like 24/7.

EDIT: I have a hate/love situation with facebook. xD Because it allows me to keep in contact with my friends who either moved or I don't see very often.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I opened my account because there was an event at University that I apparently HAD to have a Facebook account or we could never plan it. I recently deleted it because I never used it, and there were stories of 3rd parties using your E-Mail address and other details.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
All the time!
It lets me talk to my uncle, who's in Iraq, and it helped me get help from a friend of my sister's with finishing my PC. I don't use it like a madman and friend everyone I've only made eye contact with, but I like using it.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Yes. My reasoning? I'd rather talk to people I have the potential to see every day online than seeing them. That way, I don't have to take my headphones off. Good for drowning out the noise.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Oh boy, it's this thread again. I use facebook daily, but I'm in the minority on this site. Ironically enough for something that could be considered a social network itself, the Escapist has a lot of antisocial people on it. You see the same thing anytime online multiplayer comes up.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I use Facebook to stay in touch with friends. It's a fun way to share videos and whatnot. I don't agree with the site's stance on user privacy, but I do my part by keeping my settings locked up good and tight, and telling everyone I know to do the same.

I have to ask, though, if you don't want your parents on your Facebook, why would you add them in the first place? Just de-friend them.

Fridge

Jun 25, 2009
linkvegeta said:
I don't know if its me or what, but i can't stand Facebook anymore, is it the fact that all your family members are friends and when you make a funny comment or something and your talking with your buds on Facebook when all of a sudden your parents join in and ruin everything? Have you ever had something like that happen? or how Facebook changes its look every 6 months or is it the Facebook games and the massive spam of invites and crap that people send you constantly forcing you to block everything.

See the thing is im on the verge of completely deleting everything off my profile then deactivating it. But i don't know if i will or not because there is at least 10 people i want to stay in contact with, but Facebook keeps shoveling crap in my face, what should i do?
I use it since I find it hard to keep in contact with certain friends who live in various countries etc. That and the fact that I have access to it on my phone so if I really feel the need to send a quick mass message etc I can on the fly.
As for parents getting involved don't add them because you want some things to be private, thats exactly what I did, no fuss no muss.

When it comes to the spam, theres not much that can be done. I've tried blocking the programs but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I'd say just put up with it or give those 10 people your email etc and speak that way.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
I never used facebook. The people I want to keep in touch with? I do that with the phone/email/IM/real life options. I never understood the need to put your life online. Not that I'm saying it's stupid, just that I don't get it.
Yup, I call or talk to my friends, I don't feel the need to tell the internet (..? tell the internet... That sounds kind of cool...) what I'm doing all the time. Well, that's closer to twitter, but I never really saw the point of online social networking sites...

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I never used it, I'll only start using it when a girl I like tells me to get one, but for now, my time is too precious.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I made a Facebook maybe a year ago.

Logged in... three times? I should delete the account. If I want to communicate with anyone, I live with them in the case of family and use Steam in the case of friends.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Love Facebook. I have hooked up with friends from 20 years ago on it. Get to see pics of kids I knew as babies. See how their lives have turned out. I don't use my page much though. Just to post funny pics or vids.